Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Insurance mandatory for long-stay foreigners

Post by Arget »

frank lee bent wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:11 am What company please?
Please advise the company. My current one is twice that.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

ThaiVisa seemed to retract the story the day after saying it may only apply to Non O-A visas which are ones obtained in your own country. I’m always very wary of the sensationalist headlines ThaiVisa post re their bread and butter content, it’s been clear for a while now they have a vested interest through site advertising and perhaps hook-ups with insurance companies.

Always best not to panic or believe all you read when they publish these stories, if and when it comes into effect is when you need to take notice and make your decisions. ThaiVisa is far to click bait these days, which is a shame given the importance of the subject they are dealing with.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

MY biggest gripe with thai visa is everyone writes as if they know what they are writing about, so u need sift thru the bs

As to new Insurance, biggest problem is the terminology that Immigration uses.

IE; Visa VS Extension.

An O-A visa is issued in your own country and CAN NOT be renewed, but you need a new one whenever the old one expires,
An extension is issued after an Non O visa expires and you extend it for a year at a time in country, ( same as Cambodia)

Phuket news
PHUKET: The mandatory health insurance for applicants of Non-Immigrant O-A “retirement” visas approved by the Cabinet last month is likely to be introduced in July, reports The Nation.
Under the new regulation, foreigners applying Non-Immigrant O-A visas and one-year permits-to-stay will have to have health insurance providing B40,000 coverage for outpatient treatment and B400,000 for inpatient.

SO what is a "one-year permits-to-stay"? An extension or????

from the nation, so if this is true is does NOT include those of us on a 1 year extension.
She said that once the rule is implemented, applicants for the non-immigrant O-A visa, which is valid for one year from the date of issue, would be required to buy health insurance.
“Current holders of this visa will have to produce proof of their health insurance for visa renewal,” she said.

Anyway Phuket immigration says they will update next week.

For me, i have the money to buy insurance, but i choose not to... Never had it before. Now they are telling me i HAVE to have it.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Agreed PR. I’ve got until May next year for visa renewal so hopefully it will all be crystal clear and if required there will be a consensus on the best policies around. If I’m forced to buy a local over-priced under insured policy marketed by vested interests I think I would give serious thought to putting that money to travel in the region for 2 months and switch to a tourist visa for the other 3 in my 5 months out the UK. I’d certainly do the sums.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Arget wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:00 am
frank lee bent wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 3:11 am What company please?
Please advise the company. My current one is twice that.
HeathCare International -
https://www.healthcareinternational.com ... rance-plan
You could be next.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i looked an there quote for me was $2,398/year and that was NO out patient which is required.
if i include that it goes up to $6,139!! $2,000 deductible

Yikes , 3x more than what the cheapest Thailand quote was $1, 878
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Trump administration to restrict visas for uninsured applicants
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... -insurance

I guess Americans can no longer complain about being required to have health insurance to stay in Thailand. A "self-insured" is no longer welcome in America
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:23 pm Trump administration to restrict visas for uninsured applicants
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump- ... -insurance

I guess Americans can no longer complain about being required to have health insurance to stay in Thailand. A "self-insured" is no longer welcome in America

https://fox8.com/2019/10/04/president-t ... uninsured/

The way I read this they’re also making it impossible to bring a woman in.
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic