Honda motorbike dealer issues

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Honda motorbike dealer issues

Post by talltuktuk »

bvanfossen wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:51 pm I swear I looked to see if this was a thread I created a year ago.

I went through the exact same issue 1 year ago with my Click with 30kh/m. I worked for Honda in the US and I feel they would be disgraced to see how their customer service is represented here.

Anyone- as you know you cannot "hear" a valve out of spec .001". Most don't know what you are talking about. I couldn't find someone to check it. Honda's are so cheap you can drive them into the ground here and a rebuild is around $50. however, after my Click (no problems, upgrade) I found Dara motorcycle. he checked the valves and adjusted the carb on a little Aprilia for $25. he completely understands preventative maintenance. it's extra business for the businesses to educate the locals about this too.
I’ve been recommended Dara quite a few times now. I’m going to check them out next time I’m in PP.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

pczz wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:09 am If your bike has done 30k then it is pretty close to needing a new camchain. they have a service live of 30 to 50k depending on the bike. A worn cam chain will eventuall alow the cam to jump or the chain will break causinf potentially fatal engine failure and fatal for you if you are going at speed. a loose cam chain will make a noise very similar to loose valves.
Changing the cam chain tensioner for a new one with a fresh spring may quieten the engine down and hide the symptoms for a while, but is not a long term solution. khmer tend to replace cam chains with cheap copies which usually stretch like knicker elastic and are done at 10k 9 what t do you expect from a $10 chain?).
Vlave clearances are usually set cold IN COOLER CLIMATES. the problem with hot places like Asia is the engine runs hotter, the metal expands more and you wind up with no clearance. if the clearance in the manual is .10 to .30 you would generally adjust it to the wider clearance for here, especially if you are running in traffice a lot. The narrower clearances are for cooler places. Inevitably running wider clearances increases enine clatter.
Finally automatics have drive belst and rollers which need replacing generally around 12 to 15k. If you dont the belt may snap and can lock up the back wheel. These toothed belts have a design life in km and time as the material they are made of degrades. generally its like 12k or 2 years.
So, bugger adjusting the cams, repalce the cam chain and the clearances witl be adjuted during this process, and check the drive belt and replace if necessary. At 30k you may also need clutch repair, depending on how hard its been run. small autos are commuting machines and not designed for long, frequent trips.
of course this is cambodia, so feel free to run it into the ground.
I just got to 30k km. I had the drive belt replaced at 24k when I bought the bike. In the last few months I’ve also replaced the clutch, variator rollers, fuel pump, final drive bearing, gear oil, front brake disc, ignition, spark plug, and fuel injector cleaning. All done at the Honda dealership. It’s always a fight to get anything fixed because the bike is still running when I bring it in. They try to talk me out of fixing things - it’s crazy. But it’s because people just run everything into the ground here. I am hearing a noise that I believe either to be the cam chain or valves. I’ve been working on bikes/cars/machines my whole life and I know that this is a sign of something that’s not right. After going to 2 Honda dealerships and getting the run around I’m looking to take it to a private mechanic who actually gives a shit. Several people have recommended Dara in PP so I might check that out. If the cam chain is nearing the end of it’s life, I’d rather replace it before it leaves me stranded. I see no value in gambling with a failing part and getting stranded somewhere.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

replaced the clutch
Little birdie told me these things are pretty durable...especially hauling cargo
Spoiler:
sorry, couldn't resist :mrgreen:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

talltuktuk wrote:
pczz wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:09 am If your bike has done 30k then it is pretty close to needing a new camchain. they have a service live of 30 to 50k depending on the bike. A worn cam chain will eventuall alow the cam to jump or the chain will break causinf potentially fatal engine failure and fatal for you if you are going at speed. a loose cam chain will make a noise very similar to loose valves.
Changing the cam chain tensioner for a new one with a fresh spring may quieten the engine down and hide the symptoms for a while, but is not a long term solution. khmer tend to replace cam chains with cheap copies which usually stretch like knicker elastic and are done at 10k 9 what t do you expect from a $10 chain?).
Vlave clearances are usually set cold IN COOLER CLIMATES. the problem with hot places like Asia is the engine runs hotter, the metal expands more and you wind up with no clearance. if the clearance in the manual is .10 to .30 you would generally adjust it to the wider clearance for here, especially if you are running in traffice a lot. The narrower clearances are for cooler places. Inevitably running wider clearances increases enine clatter.
Finally automatics have drive belst and rollers which need replacing generally around 12 to 15k. If you dont the belt may snap and can lock up the back wheel. These toothed belts have a design life in km and time as the material they are made of degrades. generally its like 12k or 2 years.
So, bugger adjusting the cams, repalce the cam chain and the clearances witl be adjuted during this process, and check the drive belt and replace if necessary. At 30k you may also need clutch repair, depending on how hard its been run. small autos are commuting machines and not designed for long, frequent trips.
I just got to 30k km. I had the drive belt replaced at 24k when I bought the bike. In the last few months I’ve also replaced the clutch, variator rollers, fuel pump, final drive bearing, gear oil, front brake disc, ignition, spark plug, and fuel injector cleaning. All done at the Honda dealership. It’s always a fight to get anything fixed because the bike is still running when I bring it in. They try to talk me out of fixing things - it’s crazy. But it’s because people just run everything into the ground here. I am hearing a noise that I believe either to be the cam chain or valves. I’ve been working on bikes/cars/machines my whole life and I know that this is a sign of something that’s not right. After going to 2 Honda dealerships and getting the run around I’m looking to take it to a private mechanic who actually gives a shit. Several people have recommended Dara in PP so I might check that out. If the cam chain is nearing the end of it’s life, I’d rather replace it before it leaves me stranded. I see no value in gambling with a failing part and getting stranded somewhere.
Really...? You changed the front rotor? Was it wafer thin from the hardcore race braking you'd been doing? I can't see how your disc could have been even remotely close to needing to be changed. Were you having fuel pump issues? It's one thing to do preventative maintenance, it's another to be a bit too anal. Keep in mind service manuals for race bikes ask for some crazy intervals to protect themselves (30 hour piston change, 70 hour conrod change etc). A lot of it is bullshit, especially for a scooter.

Anyways, Dara can work on the bike for sure. Either way, you sound like the type of person who won't ever be happy with a mechanic, so you might as well work on it yourself. You're expecting too much out of them, so you'll always be disappointed. Do it yourself.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

Well OP, you did not purchase a scooter with 30k km on it if you had to replace all that and need a timing chain too.
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:56 pm wafer thin
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Someone told me the Dreams engine are 50s technology with some tweaks.
“If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” etc.
[/quote]

Dreams are the old old version of Honda Supra in Indonesia. Having lived there, i assume Dreams are the bottom of the Honda catalogue, as no evolutions are apparent about the design and engine since 15 years at least. I guess that's all Honda want to bring in Cambodia and probably Laos, no need to sweat it with fancy upgrades.

The selling price is about twice the Indonesian one though for an old fashion Japanese cow (as they call it over there).

Meh.

I rode only Clicks and Steps in Cambodia, 400 bought, 400 sold, and small maintenance in beetween. Bit crappy look, but no theft, and cheap.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

talltuktuk wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:10 am
bvanfossen wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:51 pm I swear I looked to see if this was a thread I created a year ago.

I went through the exact same issue 1 year ago with my Click with 30kh/m. I worked for Honda in the US and I feel they would be disgraced to see how their customer service is represented here.

Anyone- as you know you cannot "hear" a valve out of spec .001". Most don't know what you are talking about. I couldn't find someone to check it. Honda's are so cheap you can drive them into the ground here and a rebuild is around $50. however, after my Click (no problems, upgrade) I found Dara motorcycle. he checked the valves and adjusted the carb on a little Aprilia for $25. he completely understands preventative maintenance. it's extra business for the businesses to educate the locals about this too.
I’ve been recommended Dara quite a few times now. I’m going to check them out next time I’m in PP.
I would endorse Dara motorcycles. His work is excellent, good value. Only snag is he can be quite busy, so sometimes quite a wait to get your work done. That to me, is never a bad sign. His wife (receptionist?) can be a sourpuss at times though...
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:56 pm
talltuktuk wrote:
Really...? You changed the front rotor? Was it wafer thin from the hardcore race braking you'd been doing? I can't see how your disc could have been even remotely close to needing to be changed. Were you having fuel pump issues? It's one thing to do preventative maintenance, it's another to be a bit too anal. Keep in mind service manuals for race bikes ask for some crazy intervals to protect themselves (30 hour piston change, 70 hour conrod change etc). A lot of it is bullshit, especially for a scooter.

Anyways, Dara can work on the bike for sure. Either way, you sound like the type of person who won't ever be happy with a mechanic, so you might as well work on it yourself. You're expecting too much out of them, so you'll always be disappointed. Do it yourself.
The front rotor was visibly bent. Either from getting hit or from heat warpage. Either way, it was bent so I replaced it. The fuel pump lost 12 psi over 30 days. I’m not being “a bit too anal,” I’m preventing the inconvenience of dealing with a breakdown because I let things go until they didn’t work anymore. All the other things I fixed needed to be fixed. I don’t just throw money away out of boredom, but I don’t see the point of waiting for an inevitable failure then spending even more. I bought the bike with 24k km and addressed the issues I found with it. I have no history on the bike. I can be happy with a mechanic as long as they do the right thing, not make excuses because they don’t want to do some work that’s not as easy profit as something else. I went to Honda because they are supposed to be the factory standard for service. I learned that this is not always the case. I just want things done right. The mentality in this country of not doing things right because “that’s just how everyone does things” is not conducive to the growth and advancement that everyone claims to want. Now I will take my business to someone who is more concerned about fixing things properly than vacuuming up easy cash. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Dara so that’s where I’m headed.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

beaker wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:33 pm Well OP, you did not purchase a scooter with 30k km on it if you had to replace all that and need a timing chain too.
I have no problem with this. My problem is not being able to get a straight answer out of the dealership who is supposed to be the standard for straight answers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic