Electricity costs per month in Siem Reap

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

Electricity costs per month in Siem Reap

Post by CambodiaGerman1 »

I have a very important question for me and I ask for detailed short answers without triggering a big general discussion. What do you pay for electricity costs per month in Siem Reap?

New Apartment, 55 m², only 1 Person, Livingroom with Kitchen + 1 Bedroom and 1 Bathroom, 2 VAN, 2 A/C, Fridge + TV![/b]
I moved in on 01.Oct.2019 and start with 18 kilowatt-hours and I was come in the afternoon, so okay - I sprayed for Moskitos, the Fridge strats the first time and I checked all electrics, so I think thats was much - 1 A/C works in the night for 10 hours complete, 22°C with small fan. but okay.

The next day - I went in in the late afternoon and I deliberately saved energy, only 1 A/C and short time lights, no TV, also only a short time Notebook. On the second day I still used 14 kilowatt-hours. So I have to payed 8,00 $ (1000 Riel/KwH) for only two days in a new Apartment? That's not normal. So I'ved canceled this contract and moved this week to another apartment here in Siem Reap.

But please let me know, what's up and what you spend on electricity costs a month and yes I know I lost my deposit - but that's not important for me here...

Thank's,

CG1
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: Electricity costs per month in Siem Reap

Post by siliconlife »

Yeah something is up. When I first moved to Siem Reap, I was hit with a whopping $130 electricity bill (month). Was paying $35 in BTB and $40 in PP. My place in Siem Reap had better equipment, and more equipment, that might burn more power I figured, but the difference was weird. I complained to the landlord that this seemed exorbitant and started being super frugal but never got down past $75 a month. We were using the A/C a fair bit more because we had a newborn and were regulating the temp in her room. But we used the AC a fair bit in BTB as well. Don't know if it's a scam, or if it's because Siem Reap imports power or something. I checked the meters and all the math checked out, and to be honest I do trust the landlord, he is a great guy, best I've ever had in fact, in terms of fixing stuff and providing us with things we requested, such as an extra fan, or a carpentry upgrade or whatever we asked for, so I never got too bothered. But yes I agree, something is up with the power in SR.

But hey, the water was free. They were charging me $2 in BTB! Heh...
CambodiaGerman1
Expatriate
Germany

Post by CambodiaGerman1 »

siliconlife wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:14 pm Yeah something is up. When I first moved to Siem Reap, I was hit with a whopping $130 electricity bill (month). Was paying $35 in BTB and $40 in PP. My place in Siem Reap had better equipment, and more equipment, that might burn more power I figured, but the difference was weird. I complained to the landlord that this seemed exorbitant and started being super frugal but never got down past $75 a month. We were using the A/C a fair bit more because we had a newborn and were regulating the temp in her room. But we used the AC a fair bit in BTB as well. Don't know if it's a scam, or if it's because Siem Reap imports power or something. I checked the meters and all the math checked out, and to be honest I do trust the landlord, he is a great guy, best I've ever had in fact, in terms of fixing stuff and providing us with things we requested, such as an extra fan, or a carpentry upgrade or whatever we asked for, so I never got too bothered. But yes I agree, something is up with the power in SR.

But hey, the water was free. They were charging me $2 in BTB! Heh...
Thank you for your response. I lived in Battambang for the last 10 months and really only paid $ 20- $ 25 for a comparable apartment and sometimes I even left the air conditioning running for 24 hours. But if I am after only 2 days already at 32 KwH consumption and that although the apartment is only inhabited in the evening and on the second day I was really economical - no, there is something wrong.

At the end of the month, I would be $ 120.00! The landlord of the new apartment has offered me 3 days of free trial rentals to test the electricity consumption and there are significantly more apartments inhabited by foreigners so I have a good feeling here and the 3 days can use what the actual consumption is like. The apartment is also comparable to the current apartment, but better divided and was already cooler when entering.

Thanks again for your answer. At the beginning of next month I will write here, which I then used in the new apartment.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Oh yeah, I do work from home so use more power than people who don't, forgot to mention. But yes, would be great to hear if you've found a reasonable price at the end of the month. Good luck!
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

$8 for two days sounds pretty good to me.

I pay significantly more than that. Most places seem to charge 1000/kw, though some are now charging 800.

There are a lot of factors. How efficient is the fridge, washer, AC etc? How large is the room your trying to cool down. Are you running ceiling fans all day? Oven?

The only suggestion I can offer you is to try to live for a day with no AC and see how much of an impact that makes and go from there.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I pay 300 - 400 Dollars a month. 4 AC's, fridge, freezer, PC. Off the top of my head I pay 640 Riel/kwh.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

OP, 20-25 usd per month if you use an AC is not realistic. Count on about 1 kWh per hour you run it. If you run the AC all night that’s 8-9 kWh for the AC alone.
I have a free standing house in the province with just fans, fridge, lcd tv and washing machine and I pay 13-15 usd every month directly to EDC. Rate is 670 as opposed to the (illegal) elevated rate you were charged by your landlord in SR.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:27 am OP, 20-25 usd per month if you use an AC is not realistic. Count on about 1 kWh per hour you run it. If you run the AC all night that’s 8-9 kWh for the AC alone.
I have a free standing house in the province with just fans, fridge, lcd tv and washing machine and I pay 13-15 usd every month directly to EDC. Rate is 670 as opposed to the (illegal) elevated rate you were charged by your landlord in SR.
Has the electricity rate reduced in Siem Reap in the last year? Last time I paid 720 riels/kwh to the electricity company. My bill was usually around $100+ per month but I was a fairly heavy user of aircon.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

samrong01 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:12 pm
Kammekor wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:27 am OP, 20-25 usd per month if you use an AC is not realistic. Count on about 1 kWh per hour you run it. If you run the AC all night that’s 8-9 kWh for the AC alone.
Has the electricity rate reduced in Siem Reap in the last year? Last time I paid 720 riels/kwh to the electricity company. My bill was usually around $100+ per month but I was a fairly heavy user of aircon.
My rate was from my memory, might be 720r as well.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

If it's the same as PP, it's 610r/kW if you use <200kW in the month, or 720r/kW if >200kW (from memory). Sometimes I slip under the threshold and get a $30 bill, but mostly just over and $40+
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic