Hey Clutch

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Hey Clutch

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

A few of us were waiting for a response to the question bellow which you seemed to have missed. Wondering if you wouldn't mind addressing it. Thanks.
Hey, Clutch. how does a proven compulsive liar/troll who annoys everyone and wastes their time with his repeated bullshit not get flicked from CEO? Are you waiting until it descends into a complete shit show around here where we all get jacked of it and start playing up ourselves?
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Hey Clutch

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Not read everything here but I would guess it's Gavin or Seawolf. OK, found it, the Seawolf is boring/annoying.

KFH, you do seem a rather high maintenance forum member....but can't argue that SW is painful to read.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:07 pm A few of us were waiting for a response to the question bellow which you seemed to have missed. Wondering if you wouldn't mind addressing it. Thanks.
Hey, Clutch. how does a proven compulsive liar/troll who annoys everyone and wastes their time with his repeated bullshit not get flicked from CEO? Are you waiting until it descends into a complete shit show around here where we all get jacked of it and start playing up ourselves?
A valid question and I did note it. After I locked the topic in question, I posted this issue for discussion on the mod forum.

I feel this matter needs to be referred there for a considered decision as I'm still the new kid on the block so to speak. Personally, this is the first time I've come across such an issue so I would like to seek advice and experience of the other more experienced mods and the General on this occasion.

Not withstanding that, I would just make these observations:

Isn't the nature of the internet/forums such that we don't know what is truthful or not?
OK, this member has admitted to some story telling..in part it is claimed..and that has affected his credibility on the forum going forward. So members will form their own views. Does that warrant banning?
To my mind, there are many shades of grey when it comes to the definition of trolling...if it is to provoke a reaction..then many of our posts could be considered as such.
Having said that, I do think the intent of the post needs to be considered ie is the intent malicious or not?
Do other members reply and/or engage in associated discussions (ie feeding the troll or not?) or just ignore it?
Has the member called out other members and is civil?

Whatever the decision, I'm not sure this is the best place to discuss for all members to see or better dealt with via PM.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Yeah, not sure why this needed a thread addressed to Clutch on open forum instead of a PM or sending a report to the mod team.

Another thing is that mods also have lives (yes they do), and you cannot expect their immediate attention on something or someone that is annoying you.

It' s been said before, but if you (forum members) have a complaint, then the most efficient way to deal with it is to send a report to mods/admin.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Different people notice different things. While Clutch is doing his best, it would be better if there were more active moderators to share the load. Another moderator may have picked up on something he missed.

This would also be beneficial from a time perspective. When one moderator is busy, another one may be reading the forum.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

isnt it the case that there is one poster using 2 handles?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:44 pm isnt it the case that there is one poster using 2 handles?
It seems obvious to some of us.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:46 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:44 pm isnt it the case that there is one poster using 2 handles?
It seems obvious to some of us.
Only 2??
Ha!
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Post by The Seawolf »

If I may be so bold I would like to add my own opinion on this matter.

Forums are a free for all, a binary speakeasy, attracting all sorts of people who use forums for all sorts of reasons; a source of sound information and advice, a place to vent, to debate about politics, seek friends, banter or just pass the time of day.

I don’t think my posts warrant banning. I have already admitted I lied in a short blast of posts on one thread. The rest of what I have written is true and has been backed up with many facts on my behalf.

If you think I am a dickhead well that’s an opinion you are entitled to and I have absolutely no problem with.

But to ban someone for that reason or because the tone of their posts doesn’t fall in line with the general forum is not only draconian but it will ultimately be to the detriment of the forum as variety will narrow and the forum will become insular, unwelcoming, cliquey and self reverential.

(This applies to real life which is why I am a fan of multiculturalism and tolerate cultures I think are absurd existing within my own culture, like sharia law mongering burqa clad Muslims in Birmingham. British culture is richer with them than without them.)

Banning offenses on all forums should be limited to spamming the board with multiple topics or posting politically insensitive or extremely offensive content.

Inappropriate, boring, daft, infantile bollocks should be allowed.

Obviously if I am banned I am banned. I will just return under another handle. Finally take a load off and try not to be so serious - remember- no one is forcing you to read my posts.

:dm:
Locked Previous topicNext topic