Two army units now under direct control of Thai King

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Two army units now under direct control of Thai King

Post by phuketrichard »

Guess someone, ( :-) ) is worried.
The government has placed key military units under the direct command of His Majesty the King of Thailand. The orders were issued yesterday as reported by Khaosod English.

The royal decree was enacted without any parliamentary discussions or protocol “due to unspecified emergency circumstances”. The effect of the order is to separate the 1st and 11th Infantry Regiments from the Thai Army’s chain of command and hand control over to King Maha Vajiralongkorn’s total control.
https://thethaiger.com/news/national/tw ... -thai-king
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Two army units now under direct control of Thai King

Post by sigmoid »

Hopefully, people will soon realise that the restoration of absolute monarchy is well underway. Apologies for being a broken record but, as I have mentioned several times, most farang are either unaware of or in denial about the situation.

In a previous post, you mentioned that what is happening in Thailand is "OK", so I guess you're not alarmed by these changes. However, as a very long-term resident of/visitor to Thailand going back to the 80s, surely you know that the outcome will not be positive.
Regardless of what is going on, Thailand, (compared to other countries in SE asia) can be easy, inexpensive to live, work & raise a family in with all the conveniences of a developed country and as long as one keeps out of the bs, it's ok.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

I believe the entire armed forces are in direct control of the monarchy as is everything else in this country. Why else would a poodle be an Air Vice Marshal and there be no snickering behind his back? Love him or loathe him all Thais obey and if he were to tell the population that Sunday was really Monday woe be tied the Thai that did not show up for work Sunday morning.. I mean Monday morning, sorry
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

So the king now controls 2 army units, but is that a significant amount? I have no idea how manydivisions/brigades the thai army has. if there is a specific threat to the Royal Family i can see some logic inhanding over direct control to a small portion of the army as a bodyguard unit so they are free to concentrate on security, but if it 755 of the army then its harder to justify
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

anyone see the new salute??

https://aecnewstoday.com/2017/thailands ... ry-salute/
In a previous post, you mentioned that what is happening in Thailand is "OK", so I guess you're not alarmed by these changes. However, as a very long-term resident of/visitor to Thailand going back to the 80s, surely you know that the outcome will not be positive.
Yes, I still think that thailand is ok,even better than ok, (as do tens of thousands of other farangs living, working and raising families here), most changes (other than the immigration ones ) dont affect those of us living here...
and no am not alarmed... and yes i am moving on.....but not because of being alarmed...

I believe the entire armed forces are in direct control of the monarchy as is everything else in this country.
NOPE:
read below
.....The effect of the order is to separate the 1st and 11th Infantry Regiments from the Thai Army’s chain of command and hand control over to King Maha Vajiralongkorn’s total control.
Thai army is fairly large
over 605, 000 or just about 1% of the population with .5% active.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_Army
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

The only thing that will ever affect the status quo to any great degree in Thailand is a major economic recession. Whether we are closer to that than any time in the last 20 years is open for debate, the financial markets suggest Thailand is a safe haven for their money at the moment which I find a bit surprising.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Pushback starting already:

Netizens ANGERED by (Royal) Motorcade Traffic Woes
http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2019 ... ffic-woes/
Although roads are routinely cordoned off to make way for royal motorcades in Bangkok, eyewitnesses’ accounts on social media suggest congestion caused by Tuesday’s blockade were particularly serious even by Bangkok’s standard.

The hashtag “royal motorcade” was still trending on Thailand’s Twitter by Wednesday morning.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/ขบวนเสด็จ

Most comments are in Thai, of course.

Here's one in English:
People are suffering desperately living under this absolute monarchy. They have been always treated as “ทาส(s)” because of that shortsighted system. Let’s wait and see. Guillotine is being on its way!
Best of luck gentlemen...
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:48 pm anyone see the new salute??

https://aecnewstoday.com/2017/thailands ... ry-salute/
Yes, I still think that thailand is ok,even better than ok, (as do tens of thousands of other farangs living, working and raising families here), most changes (other than the immigration ones ) dont affect those of us living here...
and no am not alarmed... and yes i am moving on.....but not because of being alarmed...

I believe the entire armed forces are in direct control of the monarchy as is everything else in this country.
NOPE:
read below
.....The effect of the order is to separate the 1st and 11th Infantry Regiments from the Thai Army’s chain of command and hand control over to King Maha Vajiralongkorn’s total control.
Thai army is fairly large
over 605, 000 or just about 1% of the population with .5% active.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Thai_Army
According to the constitution, the king is head of the armed forces. He is required to be Buddhist as well as the defender of all faiths in the country. The king also retained some traditional powers such as the power to appoint his heirs, the power to grant pardons, and the royal assent.
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:20 am Guess someone, ( :-) ) is worried.
The government has placed key military units under the direct command of His Majesty the King of Thailand. The orders were issued yesterday as reported by Khaosod English.

The royal decree was enacted without any parliamentary discussions or protocol “due to unspecified emergency circumstances”. The effect of the order is to separate the 1st and 11th Infantry Regiments from the Thai Army’s chain of command and hand control over to King Maha Vajiralongkorn’s total control.
https://thethaiger.com/news/national/tw ... -thai-king
He is not worried he resides in Munich and with $80billion he is just heading for absolute monarchy.
Thais are starting to speak out ie the latest road blocks as posted above
If you want more info see andrew macgregor marshall on twitter or facebook
P
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

The nabbing has begun. Glad I'm not there.

ACTIVIST ARRESTED, ACCUSED OF MAKING THREATS TO MONARCHY

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... -monarchy/

GOV’T SAYS ‘5 MORE PEOPLE’ MAY BE NABBED FOR ROYAL INSULT

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... al-insult/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic