70 years today, the Chinese have been fucking over Tibet

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

70 years today, the Chinese have been fucking over Tibet

Post by phuketrichard »

Before;

Now;
:cry:
and it just gets worse daily

Hundreds of Tibetan monks instructed to praise Chinese Communist Party in choreographed video.
As part of the ceremony, monks were told to “expose the 14th Dalai Lama's reactionary thoughts”

Hundreds of monks at Galden Jampaling Monastery in Chamdo, central Tibet, have been filmed singing, carrying out a choreographed ceremony and praising the ruling Chinese Communist Party.
In the video, thousands of monks can be seen singing together in one voice while waving Chinese flags. The lyrics of the song are: “Me and my motherland, unable to be separated for a moment; Long live the Motherland''

https://freetibet.org/news-media/na/hun ... hdIfDNHqUU

NO longer the Tibet i visited back in the mid-late 80's. Its now a 2-4 lane highway from Lhasa almost to the Nepalese border. When i biked it, i wouldn't have called it a 2 lane track most of the way

When i went to EBC China side it was a dirt track

NOTE:
As with all travel in the Tibet Autonomous Region, the Friendship Highway requires that all foreigners be part of an organized tour that includes travel permits, a tour guide, a private vehicle and a driver. There are NO exceptions to this.
None of this was required before.
PS:they now have a pizza hut and MacDonald's in Lhasa
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: 70 years today, the Chinese have been fucking over Tibet

Post by CaptainNemo »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:56 am PS:they now have a pizza hut and MacDonald's in Lhasa
Some hope then?

Will be interesting to see how the CCP thrashes about when the Chinese debt crisis hits.

It's gonna send the global economy nuts.
I'm not like other boys...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Great, except it wasn't 70 years ago today. You're confusing it with Chinese Independence Day.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Richard, you think we require 7-11's, Taco Bells and whatever else convenience and crap chain western food makes your life easier in Thailand , so please don't play double standards. These places are killing the character on your own doorstep.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Your missing the whole point, its not about 7/11's, pizza huts, its that the Chinese are totally trying to eliminate the whole Tibet culture, turn its Monastery's into amusement parks and decimate the population>
Do you think that happens in Thailand, Cambodia cause of fast foods and 7/11's??
Ever been to Tibet??

Phuket still retains its charm if you venture out to the tourist areas and the whole of Thailand, (mostly) has not changed with the introduction of malls and 7/11's
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

I am sure Tibet hasn t changed that much if you were to travel outside the tourist areas.
1,000,000 Uighurs in re-education camps, re-education camps are being built in Tibet as we speak. It is not McDonald's and Pizza Hut that created the problem and the leader of the free world today said “Congratulations to President Xi and the Chinese people on the 70th Anniversary of the People’s Republic of China!” while his daughter receives how many Chinese patents?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Is there anything they don't fuck up?
elite87
Expatriate
Indonesia

Post by elite87 »

there are a softway to get in something and mess up everythings
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

So, Tibet has a fuckin McDonalds but we still don't? What's going on here?
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by CaptainNemo »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:31 am Richard, you think we require 7-11's, Taco Bells and whatever else convenience and crap chain western food makes your life easier in Thailand , so please don't play double standards. These places are killing the character on your own doorstep.
Thailand's food culture is resilient (and made up) enough to withstand an inundation of western chains, and frankly these countries aren't cultural amusement parks for worthy westerners, the people want modernity and western standards, and why shouldn't they? A lot of lefty stuff whether its environmentalism or cultural preservation seems to seek to keep things in some kind of perpetual stasis for NatGeo photographers to capture and wax lyrical about.

These chains don't kill character, they add to the mix of old and new, with local variations of things. McD's in Japan is not quite like McD's in Jakarta.
China tries to crush all organic deviation from it's idealised version of reality, to bulldoze everything and replace it with a cheap, tacky, concrete-covered sinicized version of what was once there. Chinese "soft power" is backed by military aggression and economic aggression, it's still a militaristic cult state with crony capitalism propped up by the west looking for a profit - anyone who feels strongly about it, should check the source of all their consumer items from sock and shoes to smartphones and semiconductors.

Tibet is not just about some contrived Chinese Imperial sense of shame (Tibet was a British protectorate for longer than it was ever invaded and occupied by China), like the Champa Sea/nine-dash-line, Tibet is also full of Uranium for Chinese nukes, as is Uyghurstan/Xinjiang. It's not even as comparable to the Vietnamese takeover of Cambodian Cochin China & Saigon many years ago.

When I say there's hope, I'm suggesting that any non-Chinese presence is a good thing, it keeps alive the notion that there's something beyond the totalitarian terror of the CCP and it's long march towards a colossal debt defaulting crisis.
I'm not like other boys...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic