Cambodia Tourist/Regular(Business) Visa Fees Increase 2014

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Re: Cambodia Tourist/Regular(Business) Visa Fees Increase 20

Post by Joker Poker »

Yes, if they really want to raise revenue traffic infringements would be the goose that laid the golden egg.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

eh, I've always kinda balked at Laos and their "high" month visa price but now? Given the choice for the price, Cambodia or Laos?
NO CONTEST.
girlfriends family is about a 3 hour drive to Laos too.
They keep this up I'm gonna end up hitting central america or south america.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

taranis wrote:I am unsure if this is a step in the right direction, surely to want more tourists arrivals it does not make sense to raise the visa fee, in fact a free visa would be better or just keep the price as it was.

Also I did not understand why they have messed around with the visa names, it has just brought unneeded confusion, business visa then ordinary then back again. Now no one will understand what they are called.
Maybe now that they're getting sticky about work permits attached to Business visas, they have brought back the name Business visa. That leads one to think they are working on long-term (retirement) visas and, who knows, calling them Ordinary visas.
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

lol,
http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/417.aspx
$500 usd for a 1 year working visa, IF you are over 18 and under 31.
Come ON fella's get a fukn grip. If you can't afford it...? Seriously, some one said South America might be a better choice, just the airfare is going to cover, what, 2 years visa costs here?
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

ExPenhMan wrote:
taranis wrote:I am unsure if this is a step in the right direction, surely to want more tourists arrivals it does not make sense to raise the visa fee, in fact a free visa would be better or just keep the price as it was.

Also I did not understand why they have messed around with the visa names, it has just brought unneeded confusion, business visa then ordinary then back again. Now no one will understand what they are called.
Maybe now that they're getting sticky about work permits attached to Business visas, they have brought back the name Business visa. That leads one to think they are working on long-term (retirement) visas and, who knows, calling them Ordinary visas.
I think retirement visa's are a load of shit. Why set an age restriction... what if I want to retire at 40?
Gaudente
Expatriate

Post by Gaudente »

so how much is it going to be at Koh Kong border now ? 2,000 baht ? :roll:
Georgina
Expatriate

Post by Georgina »

I have it on *very good account* that 3-month business visa extensions (as of a few days ago, and via an intermediary) have NOT gone up. Normal price of $73

My question is whether a 1-month visa was actually available or just poor value. Someone told me that 1-month extensions are indeed available for tourist visas. Then why not for business visas? Sorry, I don't get it.

But this is nothing compared to the complicated and expensive visa rules of some countries. Travel to some countries I rarely travel to at all just because I can't make a last minute decision to go there. My favourite is Malaysia (not the country, the visa situation- free three month visa on arrival. As far as I can tell the gov't of Malaysia doesn't care how many times if you come and go). India is good is you apply in your own country (6 months) and don't make it obvious that you are living there.

Makes me wonder if visas for Cambodia are..

1. A money making scheme
2. The gov't is surveilling foreigners - and if so, why? It's not like Cambodia is a haven for jihadists.
"I am a lesbian trapped inside a man's body. Girls, help me escape!"
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Bingo : N° 1 is the correct answer.

For the E visa - you can extend for 1 or 3 months, but not for 2.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Georgina wrote:My question is whether a 1-month visa was actually available or just poor value. Someone told me that 1-month extensions are indeed available for tourist visas. Then why not for business visas? Sorry, I don't get it.
Ordinary/Business (E-Type) Visas are initially issued for 1 month. They can then be extended for 1, 3, 6 or 12 months. Only the 6 and 12 month extensions are valid for multi-entry/exit.
Georgina
Expatriate

Post by Georgina »

ah, indeed my $25 visa reads 'E....'

Naturally, the question is why? Is this to streamline work required by Immigration, to calm fears of visitors, to increase revenue to the state or individuals? Which individuals? is there a trickle up effect? Doe the top man in the Immig dep't get the lion's or a token share according to the corruption theory?

Can you provide a link to the official fees for extensions?
I have hears that a 1-month extension to an E-visa (business visa, not to be confused w/ 'e' as in electronic visa) is poor value, such as $40, providing an incentive to extend at least for 3-months. This could be due to minimum fee of intermediary?
"I am a lesbian trapped inside a man's body. Girls, help me escape!"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic