All Bangkok Hooters to be shut down

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

All Bangkok Hooters to be shut down

Post by ExPenhMan »

One is already shut and the last two will halt operations at the end of today, according to Stickman.
A month ago there were 3 branches of the American boobs and beers chain Hooters operating in Bangkok – Sukhumvit soi 15, Nana and Silom. Tomorrow there will be none. The soi 15 branch of Hooters closed a couple of weeks ago and the Nana and Silom branches close tomorrow. Hooters attracted a lot of comments when it opened in Bangkok, many saying it wouldn’t make it with the relatively high prices one concern and the fact that boobs and beers has a lot of competition in Bangkok. And time has shown those who said that Hooters wouldn’t last were right. There were many complaints, and landlords complained they were not paid on time. It shouldn’t come as a great surprise with the writing on the wall for quite some time – Hooters Phnom Penh was abandoned after the builders weren’t paid by the same Thailand-based company which operated Hooters in Bangkok. Back to Bangkok, the space that was the soi 15 branch of Hooters – the first Hooters in Bangkok if I recall correctly – is being renovated and might reopen as another chicken place with sexy girls. It won’t be called Hooters.
Opening Hooters bars in the sex capital of the world could not have been a more ludicrous idea. Coincidentally enough, I and a friend ventured on to soi 4 Sukhumvit on Saturday mid-afternoon from soi 13 (after watching an embarrassingly horrible AFL Grand Final allegedly between the two best teams, although you would not know with the 89-point victory margin, deservedly in Richmond's favour). It's the first time I'd walked the soi in many years. Hooters was the quietest place on the street, while Big Dog's and Stumble Inn were thriving. Anyway, interesting point about the PP failure.
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: All Bangkok Hooters to be shut down

Post by CaptainNemo »

A tragedy indeed.
I'm not like other boys...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

just drove past the one in Patong, open and going strong.
BTW, its right next door to Hard Rock (open since 2009)

Both offer way overpriced food and drink, yet the tourists seem to love them
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

anyone surprised with what they were charging...
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Post by The Seawolf »

End of an era

Bottoms up

Etc
djstuntmunch
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by djstuntmunch »

I guess their “cups” half empty in Thailand!
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

When I overnight in Bangkok I stay in Chinatown and take the MRT to Silom for my entertainment. I used that Hooters for late afternoon beers as they did a decent happy hour and it was a good perch to sit and watch the human rush hour. Having said that even though I am an incredibly laid back person the quality of service was so bad I complained to the manageress last visit. Hardly any customers, I'm sitting with an empty beer glass and they were too busy taking photos of each other and practising the dance moves to notice and serve me.

Given how dead Pattaya is at the moment and the massive size of that one I'm wondering if that will become a victim as well. Only the Indians and Chinese here at the moment and I can't see enough of them frequenting the place to keep it running. Might pop in this week for a look.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

I frequented the one opposite Stumble Inn on numerous occasions. I still preferred Stumble Inn.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Stickman has removed the item on Hooters' closing. :facepalm: A poster on Thaivisa says the branch on Soi 4 Nana is still open, and the Silom Road branch is undergoing renovations. He reported Stick cut out the news item and I confirmed it's gone. Maybe he will apologize in his regular Sunday column. In any case, I'd never set foot in the place.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic