Avoid skin-lightening creams at "all costs".

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Avoid skin-lightening creams at "all costs".

Post by hanno »

Not only a problem in SE Asia:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-49851669
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Avoid skin-lightening creams at "all costs".

Post by CaptainNemo »

Amen... and let's hear it for beautiful dark Asian skin.
I'm not like other boys...
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

According to the report, the global skin lightening products market was valued at around USD 4,075 million in 2017 and is expected to reach approximately USD 8,895 million by 2024, at a CAGR of slightly above 6.5% between 2018 and 2024.
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-rele ... earch.html

Absolutely the sickest shit on the market, western companies tell dark-skinned women to hate their appearance, evil marketing at it finest. Jan 10, 2019 - Some major players operating in the global skin lightening products market include L'Oreal S.A., Beiersdorf AG, Unilever PLC, Procter & Gamble Company, Shiseido Company, Estée Lauder Companies Inc., Avon Products, Inc., VLCC Health Care Limited, Lotus Herbals Private Limited, and Clarins Group
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by CaptainNemo »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:25 pm According to the report, the global skin lightening products market was valued at around USD 4,075 million in 2017 and is expected to reach approximately USD 8,895 million by 2024, at a CAGR of slightly above 6.5% between 2018 and 2024.

Absolutely the sickest shit on the market, western companies tell dark-skinned women to hate their appearance, evil marketing at it finest. Jan 10, 2019 - Some major players operating in the global skin lightening products market include L'Oreal S.A., Beiersdorf AG, Unilever PLC, Procter & Gamble Company, Shiseido Company, Estée Lauder Companies Inc., Avon Products, Inc., VLCC Health Care Limited, Lotus Herbals Private Limited, and Clarins Group
Surely the whole fashion and cosmetics industry, and associated hangers on in magazines and pop culture, is about telling people they look ugly and to buy their stuff to look beautiful and have a better life? Alas, humans are sick fucks and statistically tend to give jobs and trust people more simply because they're pretty, so they're not entirely lying, just coldly cynical and ruthlessly exploitative. I guess in the developing world beauty is high up there along with phones and vehicles above the actual necessities.
I'm not like other boys...
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

CaptainNemo wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:52 pm
Anthony's Weiner wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:25 pm According to the report, the global skin lightening products market was valued at around USD 4,075 million in 2017 and is expected to reach approximately USD 8,895 million by 2024, at a CAGR of slightly above 6.5% between 2018 and 2024.

Surely the whole fashion and cosmetics industry, and associated hangers on in magazines and pop culture, is about telling people they look ugly and to buy their stuff to look beautiful and have a better life? Alas, humans are sick fucks and statistically tend to give jobs and trust people more simply because they're pretty, so they're not entirely lying, just coldly cynical and ruthlessly exploitative. I guess in the developing world beauty is high up there along with phones and vehicles above the actual necessities.
My wife looks better with makeup on and smells better wearing perfume. I would guess her budget for cosmetics exceeds mine for alcohol and if that makes her happy, I have no problem with that. She has no skin whitening products and has come to realize beautiful does not equal white or hiso. I think the most shocking example of the racism dark-skinned Asians face is when I was in the Philippines. Turn on the tv and you will never see anyone who looks remotely like what the people on the street look like. All the actors and tv presenters have alabaster skin and thin noses. Thailand is not much better, it really is institutionalized racism.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

It is so sad to see some of the horrific results of the skin whitening products. Beautiful women with patchy faces.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:39 pm It is so sad to see some of the horrific results of the skin whitening products. Beautiful women with patchy faces.
Yes I have seen a few too, how awful for them.

Seriously sometimes it's hard to find products that aren't whitening. If I was any whiter I'd disappear.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:08 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:39 pm It is so sad to see some of the horrific results of the skin whitening products. Beautiful women with patchy faces.

Seriously sometimes it's hard to find products that aren't whitening. If I was any whiter I'd disappear.
I remember looking for sun lotion in LOS a few years ago. Could not find a single one that wasn't whitening, inclucing brands like Nivea.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

hanno wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:15 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:08 pm

I remember looking for sun lotion in LOS a few years ago. Could not find a single one that wasn't whitening, inclucing brands like Nivea.
Go look in Europe and you won't find one the other way around - blackening... :stir:

Oh sorry.... 'Browning' :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic