Motorbike Rental

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
BenjaminWilk
Tourist
Great Britain

Motorbike Rental

Post by BenjaminWilk »

Hello there everyone,

I will be in Phnom Penh on the 1st/2nd of October and I am looking to rent a bike to get me and my wife to Siem Reap. Ideally I'm looking for an automatic moped, around 120ccs like the Honda Airblade or another model. I have asked Sues and they're out, Victory Motorbikes doesn't seem too promising either. Does anyone know of any other reliable motorcycle rental dealers that may have what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Re: Motorbike Rental

Post by Captain Bonez »

Just take the bus, so much safer
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Hi OP,
What's the plan? You want to drive from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap on a scooter with your wife on the back ? If you rent a bike, AFAIK you have to take it back to where you got it from, but I may be wrong. You will be asked to leave them your passport for sure.

Not dissing you at all, but have you done this before ? You know the roads and Cambodian driving habits ? Basically, do you know what you are getting in to ?
BenjaminWilk
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by BenjaminWilk »

Hi there, yeah we figured we'd ride over there and then come back after a couple of days. I'm used to riding around in China which is much more hectic and dangerous so I'm sure I'll be fine. I've checked out videos and maps of the routes we're gonna take, seems very standard by my standards to be honest and it seems like one of the more straight-forward routes around.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Please take the bus.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

If you insist on carrying out your plan, please make sure you update your travel / medical insurance.
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

Have fun! Wear a helmet.
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

BenjaminWilk wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:37 pm Hi there, yeah we figured we'd ride over there and then come back after a couple of days. I'm used to riding around in China which is much more hectic and dangerous so I'm sure I'll be fine. I've checked out videos and maps of the routes we're gonna take, seems very standard by my standards to be honest and it seems like one of the more straight-forward routes around.
My impression of China where I lived and worked (Xi'an) was that the standard of driving was much better than Cambodia, however where you are may be different. The standard gets much worse as you get out of the cities although the volume of traffic drops off as well.

I ride a lot in cambodia and to be honest, outside of the cities a scooter is a pretty horrible experience, it isn't a journey I would want to undertake unless essential. If you have big bike experience you can get a larger bike which would make the journey more bearable
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Does your wife know what she’s in for?
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Rainy season hasn't completely finished yet so high change of getting caught in a big "shower"

I went to Kirrirom (100km from Pp) a few weeks ago and driving back was a pain in the ass. Drove in the rain and hectic traffic for 3 hours....

The​ trip Pp-Sr will probably take you 12hrs... Not much to see on the road. As others have mentioned. Take the bus.

Or break it up over a few days and explore the countryside.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic