Will my Filipina gf be able to find a non teaching job

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
angie.stepney
Tourist
Great Britain

Will my Filipina gf be able to find a non teaching job

Post by angie.stepney »

Hello Cambodian Expert Expats 🙂

I have been teaching in Thailand for 20 years (I have a BA in TESOL & 120 hour Tefl Cert.) and I will be moving to Cambodia in March with my Filipina girlfriend. We are looking at Phnom Penh. I was wondering if any of you could tell me how easy it will be for my gf to find a job, as she is not interested in teaching English at all.

Will it be possible for her to find jobs working at a hotel, hostel, receptionist etc. She was working as a receptionist for a spa in Bangkok for three years.
Oh, and she also doesn't have a degree.

Thanks for any help you can give. Even though we still have plenty of time this whole move thing is kinda stressing me out.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Will my Filipina gf be able to find a non teaching job

Post by Duncan »

angie.stepney wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:43 am Hello Cambodian Expert Expats 🙂

I have been teaching in Thailand for 20 years (I have a BA in TESOL & 120 hour Tefl Cert.) and I will be moving to Cambodia in March with my Filipina girlfriend. We are looking at Phnom Penh. I was wondering if any of you could tell me how easy it will be for my gf to find a job, as she is not interested in teaching English at all.

Will it be possible for her to find jobs working at a hotel, hostel, receptionist etc. She was working as a receptionist for a spa in Bangkok for three years.

Thanks for any help you can give. Even though we still have plenty of time this whole move thing is kinda stressing me out.

Can she cook ?
https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=Awr9Dsg ... _.flUAcnA-
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
angie.stepney
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by angie.stepney »

Duncan wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:01 am

Can she cook ?
Yes, she cooks a mean Adobo 😁
One of my favourite dishes from The Philippines.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

angie.stepney wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:16 am

Can she cook ?

Well there's your answer . There is none, or very few places that sell Philippine rice and Adobo so set her up in a street food style place and I will be her first customer..
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

There are many Filipinos who work a multitude of jobs here. It might take her some time to find a job, especially with no degree or specific skill set. It would be a good idea to get in touch with the Filipino community once she lands. Once she gets her bearings and meets a few people, it should be easy to find some type of work.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Nobby Stiles
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Nobby Stiles »

There’s loads of Filipina’s working here in PP in non teaching positions, hotels, bars, restaurants, factories etc....

I meet many on my travels here around town.

There’s a Filipina working in Sun Dance as a waitress at the moment.

My friend brought his filipina gf here and she had zero working experience except for the bars in the PI, she was working within about 3 weeks in a small hotel undertaking all types of different roles.

Don’t fret.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

There is a Filipino expat group for Cambodia on FB
joelightcloud
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by joelightcloud »

Nobby Stiles wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:14 pm There’s a Filipina working in Sun Dance as a waitress at the moment.
There is one working in Aussie XL also.

It won't be difficult for her to find a job, you should go to the Filipino Bar "Memates" and chat with them once you are here.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Does she know how to play cards?
angie.stepney
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by angie.stepney »

Duncan wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:42 am
angie.stepney wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:16 am

Can she cook ?

Well there's your answer . There is none, or very few places that sell Philippine rice and Adobo so set her up in a street food style place and I will be her first customer..

Hmm, now there's an idea. Although, not sure how that would work visa wise. Maybe, I need to get settled there first, as I know very little about the country and how it works... but hey, we could always arrange a home delivery for you 😁
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic