Cambodia is now officially one of Southeast Asia’s most expensive countries for expats.

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Cambodia is now officially one of Southeast Asia’s most expensive countries for expats.

Post by whiteribbon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:21 pm

Kammekor wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:07 pm
Bought 1L of yoghurt and 500 gram of muesli today, spent over 10 bucks on it. Back home less than 3. Just an example.
And I bought 3 boxes of cigarettes today for the price of 1 at home. Filled my car for $45 what would cost me double at home. Ate a fresh seafood meal at a restaurant (starter and main) for $14. Just an example. So many things that are cheaper here than in western countries. Not saying life is cheap here, just depends on what kind of things you compare it with I guess?
just noise, white noise
Equinix
Expatriate

Re: Cambodia is now officially one of Southeast Asia’s most expensive countries for expats.

Post by Equinix » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:25 pm

Kammekor wrote:Bought 1L of yoghurt and 500 gram of muesli today, spent over 10 bucks on it. Back home less than 3. Just an example.
I make my own yogurt... Buy milk when it's 50% off and make 5 kilo of yogurt from 10 liters of milk (I strain it so it's thick yogurt)
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:00 am

Cam expensive bc property is through the roof for expats... Part of the draw backnin the dayz is buying a condo under 40k.. now all the condos are like 200k up...

Shoot... no beach, exp western food at a condo for 200k, i might as well get a place in eu or usa... Thai u get beach condo for 30k
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:45 am

:(
tireswang wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:43 pm
:smileinbox: It's More Cheaper in the Filthypines, but Life is mo bettahs in Cambodia....I live fairly comfortable on a $1000.00 here in S.R. and Lived cheaper in Phnom Penh...
It's always "better in the Philippines "😉
Better hip beach days on Ko Rong!
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:50 am

timmydownawell wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:08 pm
^^what a shock, imported dairy products are expensive in a country with no dairy industry.
Locally produced Moo Moo fresh milk costs the same as import.
KOW happiness
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by KOW happiness » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:49 am

fax wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:50 am
timmydownawell wrote:
^^what a shock, imported dairy products are expensive in a country with no dairy industry.
Interesting, where can you buy it, living in Siem Reap for instance and is it pasteurized? A long drive out to a farm regularly is going to cost $ and take time, unless you're lucky and live right next to one but then you'll be out in the sticks... I just paid $1.20 for 400ml fresh Dutch Milk in a bottle, for the same price in the UK I'd get a 2.27 litre jug, so over 5.5x more expensive here it seems...
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:57 am

paparazzi wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:54 am
Visa situation in Vietnam is now an issue. 3 months and border run needed.
Yes and no. As with all matters visa related, multiple factors must be taken into consideration: nationality of the applicant, type of visa etc. 'Blanket' statements are not really helpful.

I just extended my 3-month, multiple entry Business visa for USD $80 (VND 1,900,000). No border run needed.

Qualification -
Vietnam Immigration's unofficial motto:
All is flux, the only constant is change.*
*Subject to change with no notice :wink:
You could be next.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:23 am

fax wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:50 am
timmydownawell wrote:
One little local producer isn't going to have enough market share to make a difference. I'm sure it's more expensive to produce here than in countries like NZ, anyway.
No matter how much it rains, the dirt never washes away.
GreatGrizzlyTed
Tourist

Post by GreatGrizzlyTed » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:37 am

Do they sell beef jerky in Cambodia and how expensive is it?
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:57 am

:D

Available here $2.50 per pack
https://cambodiancuisine.storenvy.com/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic