Introduce Yourself

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by fax »

Stu da Mormon wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:41 pm Wow, thanks for those four points. All four bashed my religion.
Hi Stu da Mormon,

An easy way to make people stop bashing your religion is to not act as if it's something to brag about.

Here's a quick and easy guide that you can follow:

1. Stop calling yourself "da Mormon".
2. When you want to ask a question just ask the damn question. Don't write down your whole life about what God you worship.
3. Stop saying things like "God's plan" and "I'll be doing my Mormon mission".

If you correctly follow those easy steps people simply won't know that you're a Mormon and can't bash you for it.

Toodle pip
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

fax wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:04 am
Stu da Mormon wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:41 pm Wow, thanks for those four points. All four bashed my religion.
Hi Stu da Mormon,

An easy way to make people stop bashing your religion is to not act as if it's something to brag about.

Here's a quick and easy guide that you can follow:

1. Stop calling yourself "da Mormon".
2. When you want to ask a question just ask the damn question. Don't write down your whole life about what God you worship.
3. Stop saying things like "God's plan" and "I'll be doing my Mormon mission".

If you correctly follow those easy steps people simply won't know that you're a Mormon and can't bash you for it.

Toodle pip

I followed all three step, and it certainly worked for me.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^^^^^^^
Was there really any 'bashing' and 'bragging'? :unknown: :mrgreen: :stir:
GreatGrizzlyTed
Tourist

Post by GreatGrizzlyTed »

Hello

I have been reading this website for a few months.

I am thinking of moving to Cambodia. I am 83 years old and tired of Montana winters. I collect a military pension from 20 years in the Army Reserves and a state pension from working at the university for 35 years. My wife passed away nine years ago. I am in good health but I have never been out of the United States. I know it will be an adjustment but I am ready.

I look forward to discussing the move online and meeting some of you when I arrive.

Ted
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

GreatGrizzlyTed wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:04 am Hello

I am thinking of moving to Cambodia. I am 83 years old and tired of Montana winters. I collect a military pension from 20 years in the Army Reserves and a state pension from working at the university for 35 years. My wife passed away nine years ago. I am in good health but I have never been out of the United States. I know it will be an adjustment but I am ready.

I look forward to discussing the move online and meeting some of you when I arrive.

Ted
Ted
If you come don’t bring any socks or warm clothes , i came 8 years ago and still don’t know what to do with the 2 suitcases full i came to live here with , and had to move it all 3 times ! , i musta had very cold feet or a sock 🧦 fetish ! There is a ton of nice new thick socks and nowhere to use them here , they sure were nice in those cold winters ...haven’t worn the long pants at all .
i had another retired military guy ( from montana too ) friend , but when the chinese took over our town with the gulf water view he moved to s.america and i stayed in cambodia 🇰🇭 ... it’s not that great but they use our money .. make sure you got your pension into a good bank with a debit card and you can get it out here in our $💵. No conversion . Try to get an account without ATM fees , bank of america charges me $5 per ...
I don’t know what you like to do in your spare time but if you like being hot 🥵 and getting a suntan , this is the place .👍🏽
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
GreatGrizzlyTed
Tourist

pissontheroof wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:56 pm

Ted
Ted
If you come don’t bring any socks or warm clothes , i came 8 years ago and still don’t know what to do with the 2 suitcases full i came to live here with , and had to move it all 3 times ! , i musta had very cold feet or a sock 🧦 fetish ! There is a ton of nice new thick socks and nowhere to use them here , they sure were nice in those cold winters ...haven’t worn the long pants at all .
i had another retired military guy ( from montana too ) friend , but when the chinese took over our town with the gulf water view he moved to s.america and i stayed in cambodia 🇰🇭 ... it’s not that great but they use our money .. make sure you got your pension into a good bank with a debit card and you can get it out here in our $💵. No conversion . Try to get an account without ATM fees , bank of america charges me $5 per ...
I don’t know what you like to do in your spare time but if you like being hot 🥵 and getting a suntan , this is the place .👍🏽
Yes, I'm looking for hot, not cold. I'm tired of cold. I have some very thick socks my late wife knit for me that I wear all the time here but I won't bring them. I have ATM card but I've only used it a few times, I prefer cash.

I read that I can collect my army pension in cash at any embassy is that true?

Thank you.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I don't think you can get cash at the embassy.

Charles Schwab charges 0 for atm withdrawals.
Notify them you will be traveling before you leave so you don't get locked out.

Best have a credit card as backup in case you lose your card.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

GreatGrizzlyTed wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:36 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:56 pm

Ted
Ted
Yes, I'm looking for hot, not cold. I'm tired of cold. I have some very thick socks my late wife knit for me that I wear all the time here but I won't bring them. I have ATM card but I've only used it a few times, I prefer cash.

I read that I can collect my army pension in cash at any embassy is that true?

Thank you.
No , you better make sure before you come ... back in the old days i used to have my check sent to the embassy ( consulate in chiangmai thailand) , and deposit to my local bank but those days are long gone ... i don’t know how you receive it now . But best to get it setup as a direct deposit to a bank such as ( i use ) bank of america or 🤷🏽‍♂️ , a bank with debit card you can use internationally .. make sure ! And tell them you are moving and preferably have a way to contact them from here if you need to . ( banking app ? )
I am sure you cannot get cash from the us embassy here . They are mostly useless and can’t even speak basic Spanish !
I guarantee ..... You won’t be cold anymore !
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:21 am I don't think you can get cash at the embassy.

I think charles schwab is a travelers account ( not for expats living abroad , i looked into it but you have to go thru some hoops
I couldn’t set one up from here and i think there are restrictions, yes , credit card is a must , but have fun trying to use it here -
unless you need something online like an air ticket or something like that ..,
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
GreatGrizzlyTed
Tourist

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:21 am I don't think you can get cash at the embassy.

I don't use credit cards and how would I even get the monthly bills or pay them from Cambodia?? Is the mail reliable there?

I plan to bring about $45,000 in cash. I heard this is OK as long as a I declare it when i leave the USA and when I arrive in Cambodia. My state pension will go into a joint account with my daughter and she can wire me the money when I need more.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic