Birth certificate

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Birth certificate

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Note: Marriage Certificate ONLY required if parents are married
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:47 pm 3. Once you receive the birth cert, have it professionally translated, if there are any errors then take it back to the Sangkat to have corrected. As most of you are aware, errors on official documents can create problems with future Sangkat or other official administration tasks, ie. applying for passport.
Rinse and repeat as many times as necessary.
Anyone you would recommend for a professional translation? I have seen pyramid mentioned before but it says it is an unoffical translation on their website
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

cautious colin wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:57 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:47 pm 3. Once you receive the birth cert, have it professionally translated, if there are any errors then take it back to the Sangkat to have corrected. As most of you are aware, errors on official documents can create problems with future Sangkat or other official administration tasks, ie. applying for passport.
Anyone you would recommend for a professional translation? I have seen pyramid mentioned before but it says it is an unoffical translation on their website
All translation services in Cambodia are unofficial unless completed by the MoFAIC..however Pyramids translation services are more accurate, and take less time, than the MoFAIC's. If you want the translation officially certified/notarised then you get that done at the MoFAIC or the Notary Publique.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

For a UK passport there is a very short list of companies that are approved for the translation. I don't remember all of them but we used First Class and it was fine.

Afaik PSD Kiwi's diagram is out of date and his information about translations is simply incorrect (at least as far as UK passports are concerned). You can call the UK passport office hotline if you're unsure of that kind of stuff, they are friendly and helpful (the polar opposite of the embassy and VFS).
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:01 pm
All translation services in Cambodia are unofficial unless completed by the MoFAIC..however Pyramids translation services are more accurate, and take less time, than the MoFAIC's. If you want the translation officially certified/notarised then you get that done at the MoFAIC or the Notary Publique.

$50 per page. Thank-you
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@Bubble T

What makes you say the diagram is out of date? That is the current process for obtaining an official Cambodian Birth Cert.

What did I say about translations that is incorrect? I never mentioned anything about translations for UK passports. The question CC asked was in relation to "Official" translations, to which I answered factually.

For foreign passports, many Nations don't require an "official" translation, just a translation from an approved translation service which are usually listed on the Embassy or passport department website. When applying for NZ citizenship by descent and passport, there are no approved translation services in SEA, the original Cambodian Birth Cert needs to be sent with the application and then the translation is done by the approved translation company which is in Sydney, Australia! At an additional cost to the applicant of course.

@Duncan yep, the Notary Publique is expensive, much cheaper to use the MoFAIC, although there are only certain Official Cambodian documents that they will Certify, anything else then the NP is required.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:09 pm @Bubble T

What makes you say the diagram is out of date? That is the current process for obtaining an official Cambodian Birth Cert.

What did I say about translations that is incorrect? I never mentioned anything about translations for UK passports. The question CC asked was in relation to "Official" translations, to which I answered factually.
The OP stated that the birth certificate is for the purpose of obtaining a UK passport for his child. They have a list of approved translation companies (the one I mentioned and I think a couple of others), MoFAIC has nothing to do with it.

Current info about the official process and late fee for birth certificates is somewhere on this site but I'm not digging around for it now as we've established the official part is borderline irrelevant anyway.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Bubble T wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:20 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:09 pm @Bubble T

The OP stated that the birth certificate is for the purpose of obtaining a UK passport for his child. They have a list of approved translation companies (the one I mentioned and I think a couple of others), MoFAIC has nothing to do with it.

Current info about the official process and late fee is somewhere on this site but I'm not digging around for it now as we've established the official part is borderline irrelevant anyway.
My reply was to Cautious Colins question about "Official" Translations...it was not in reference to the OP's situation.

The official process for applying for the birth cert has not changed....you take certification of birth from clinic, parents ID/passport and other required docs to Sangkat and apply. There may be an official fee for late registration, I think it is 10,000 KHR...but the process has not changed from what I described, at least not in the last week or two. If it has changed officially on paper, then I am unaware of that, but in reality it's the same process as usually.

I am always happy to be proven wrong though.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:01 pm
Thanks @PSD-Kiwi. That answered my question

Sorry if I caused confusion for others
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Excellent stuff, folks.

While we are resident in Phnom Penh, mostly for convenience at the time, she also holds title to property in her name alone in Pursat, where the incompetence is slightly lower, and the tea money demands tempered by the fact that some of the incumbents are family associates of some sort.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic