Souvenir from Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Souvenir from Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

jrjrjr wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:04 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:54 pm
More Vietnamese than Cambodian.

So the one sold in Cambodia comes from Vietnam ?!
Yes, at least that's what I that think.

It's not like these wines are sold nationwide like rice wine. I mostly come across it in tourist traps.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

cambo swa wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:39 am
Yes, you are right but right now many countries are on edge about spread of animal diseases, especially swine fever. I just did 2 roundtrips in the last month and intense questioning and bag checks when any mention of being in SEA or China. Cambodia is on the list. Over the last 20 years never had my bag checked for agriculture or food products before now. Similar to when SARS was a big issue and I was traveling from living in Guangzhou.

As states, probably not a problem but as others have suggested take a krama, clothing, or non-food item and it may make things easier on arrival.
I think non-fresh food is OK anywhere, maybe with the odd exception. You can even import meat into Canada, there are the rules:
A maximum of 20 kg of cooked, commercially prepared, commercially sterile, and shelf-stable (i.e. safe at room temperature) meat in hermetically sealed, packaging may be imported per person. The packages must have identifying marks, indicating the product and the country of origin. Hermetically sealed packaging includes glass jars and cans, semi-rigid disposable serving dishes for ready-to-eat meals, and retort pouches. Fresh, dried, and cured meats are not permitted. If the meat is of bovine, ovine, or caprine origin (beef, lamb/mutton, or goat) it may only be imported from countries of negligible risk for Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE or mad cow disease).
You are not allowed muddy hiking boots, however. See here for the full list, http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/inform ... 9648516990
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

Cambodia beer mug.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:07 pm
jrjrjr wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:04 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:54 pm
More Vietnamese than Cambodian.

So the one sold in Cambodia comes from Vietnam ?!
Yes, at least that's what I that think.

It's not like these wines are sold nationwide like rice wine. I mostly come across it in tourist traps.
Apart from being Vietnamese, buying animals in rice alcohol is not very ethical and, if it is a protected species (most Cobras are), can get you into a lot of trouble.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Kampot pepper is easy to carry. Its in vac pac bags and is dried alreday os no issues in Canada.
How about a tattoo? 😊
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

My partner’s aunt has a small noodle shop, and her uncle makes fantastic coffee. I’m not normally a big coffee drinker, but his coffee is delicious. So much so that I had them order an extra couple of bags of beans from their supplier. Mondulkir ;-)
Dog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Dog »

Valium.
No prescription.required and cheap.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Him Sen watch or clock.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Dog wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:08 am Valium.
Brilliant advice that, narcotics smuggling. An Irish bar owner had his Europe holiday extended by jail for bringing Valium from Cambodia.

Axelexen Johanne Vinther was sentenced to 15 years for trying to send Codeine out by mail. Codeine is also cheap and doesn’t require subscription.

Genius
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

fax wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:35 am
Dog wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:08 am Valium.
Brilliant advice that, narcotics smuggling. An Irish bar owner had his Europe holiday extended by jail for bringing Valium from Cambodia.

Axelexen Johanne Vinther was sentenced to 15 years for trying to send Codeine out by mail. Codeine is also cheap and doesn’t require subscription.

Genius
15 years for Codeine :shock: :shock:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic