Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by whatwat »

Phnom Poon wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:53 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:38 pm This girl has ZERO power to change anything.
situations can change rather abruptly once 'tipping point' consensus is reached
witness the soviet collapse
True. David Hasselhoff did that.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

To be clear: I think climate change is indeed happening. Just look at what humans have been doing/producing (incl. many babies...) over the past 100 years and you think that had/will have no effect whatsoever on the climate? Yeah right, think again. Another question is whether we can actually do something about it, without turning the clock backwards 100 or so years.

And should we? I personally think: no. We (meaning: humans) will at one point become extinct. Is that bad? No. After we've been wiped out, other life will succeed. Well, that's how I see it.

But then this Greta kid. She comes across as an actress. And a bad one at that. I do NOT believe a single word she says. It's a script and she performs badly as an actress, having only one expression (the left eye half closed, the mouth in some weird grin, a 'dramatic' voice) and that repeated over and over again.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

There are few people angrier than a 16 year old girl, I have raised 2 and their emotions seem to control them. I can understand her furor, she will live in the world that our current "leadership" is exploiting for their and their friend's benefit long after they are dead. 50% of the wildlife has disappeared in my lifetime and the world's population has doubled. It is obvious that the present trajectory does not bode well for our children or grandchildren. Is she stage-managed? of course, is she also right? yes, I think so.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

who’s the real freak – the activist whose determination has single-handedly started a powerful global movement for change, or the middle-aged man taunting a child with Asperger syndrome from behind the safety of their computer screens?

And that, of course, is the real reason why Greta Thunberg is so triggering. They can’t admit it even to themselves, so they ridicule her instead. But the truth is that they’re afraid of her. The poor dears are terrified of her as an individual, and of what she stands for – youth, determination, change.
Why is Greta Thunberg so triggering for certain men?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... U0uGIgWre4
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's just youth idealism, nothing new. I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of any message she has, but it reminds me of how we all thought we were going to soon die in a nuclear war in the 80s.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:40 pm It's just youth idealism, nothing new. I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of any message she has, but it reminds me of how we all thought we were going to soon die in a nuclear war in the 80s.

Youth should be idealistic. If youth is not idealistic, who is ? I'm all for jolting the old fogeys out of their complacency. I just don' t have the faith anymore.
With time comes cynicism.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:51 pm Youth should be idealistic. If youth is not idealistic, who is ? I'm all for jolting the old fogeys out of their complacency. I just don' t have the faith anymore.
Sure, but how come a supposedly serious issue is being emphasized by a kid? Aren't there any other more competent people around?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:38 pm
Yobbo wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:36 pm Pity her future husband
Even if this changes nothing, I think it's great to see that some kids have better things to do than hang out and play on their phones. Certainly, she'd be much better wife material if she sat around smoking joints, :bong: watching netflix and chilling, and getting pregnant with the boy next door, but maybe she has other plans ?
Go kids. :Bravo:
Amen bro... Kid is a teenager and speaking in front of peeps with phds, power players and diferent politcal ideas. Crap, im prettt sure none of us have ever had that chance or was even remotely inclined to do so bc we were chasing azz or just wanted that new leather jacket to be "cool"...

Peeps poisoned by cyncism and our own shortcomings while blaming the world.. irony is that the kid is doing something positive while we get drunk and just point fingers bc we too lazy to address issues.... Another beer for me bc im better hahaha :beer1:
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:51 pm Youth should be idealistic. If youth is not idealistic, who is ? I'm all for jolting the old fogeys out of their complacency. I just don' t have the faith anymore.
Absolutely. I was an idealistic front-runner at Greta's age. Just one difference: I was not an actor.
But maybe that's the difference between the 70's of the last century and the 10's of this...
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:57 pm
Sure, but how come a supposedly serious issue is being emphasized by a kid? Aren't there any other more competent people around?
The people combating climate change are playing the "emotion" card and I think it's a sad reflection on today's world that "feelings" are used trump knowledge. It is quite pathetic that the word of a 16yo girl is being used here, because emotions count more than facts, and the words of the experts have less weight than a plea from a kid. However, that' s the way issues are being debated at this moment in time. Desperate times, desperate measures, from the environmentalists I guess.
(Look at the amount of unscientific and unsubstantiated BS that the great leaders spout every day. Playing to emotions has become an acceptable argument. Don't get me started on this. Lol.)

But, in this case I don't think an emotional appeal will work. If the decision makers don't care about leaving a rubbish world to their own kids and grandkids, why would they care about everyone else's descendants ?
I've often wondered about why these people don't care about the future of their own families, but have no answer to the question.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic