Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by Yobbo »

Pity her future husband
Comrade Elmo Felo
Expatriate

Re: Greta Thunberg's climate change speech

Post by Comrade Elmo Felo »

What's the worse that could happen? She's right so the Saudis etc take a tumble and renewable technology makes a new economy with whatever new problems that involves, or everyone dies as the planet is destroyed.

I'm nearly 50, so fucked either way, but think bullying a kid who's got principles is pretty pathetic.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Greta: "How dare you? You have stolen my dreams and my childhood'

As yet it's unclear as to whether or not this teenage tirade was directed towards her parents.
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

Her puppet masters told her to ramp it up a bit too much I thought. Hollywood
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

And no mention of China what so ever. Also no mention that the US has reduced its carbon output or that China is planning on commissioning a load more coal fired power stations...... without addressing the China issue it’s all smoke and mirrors. She was selected because of her age. Any attacks on her are automatically dismissed because of her age... I mean who attacks the character of a child?
Come to think of it there is a reason age restrictions apply to a ton of things kids would like to do... drink, drive, own guns, take newly legalised drugs, run for office!
Her speech was written to take effect of her age.... also her IMDB page lists her as an actress lol.
The free market will find a solution... not big government.
Which leads to the point being raised by some that this is all just a cover for just that.. more governmental control of people’s everyday lives. Bit like that useless ban on plastic straws.... when the bulk of the plastic waste in the oceans comes from a handful of river is Asia and Africa. But yeah.... ban something that the west disposes of sensibly and let’s ignore the mega tsunami of waste coming from those rivers.
So to be frank I am not buying into her crocodile tears until I hear her taking China to task!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

just come across this after I posted.

https://clintel.nl/brief-clintel-aan-vn-baas-guterres/
More than 500 scientists and professionals in climate and related fields have sent a “European Climate Declaration” to the Secretary-General of the United Nations asking for a long-overdue, high-level, open debate on climate change.
Obviously not scientists whose funding relies on handouts.

Oh and if you think scientists are above all that malarkey maybe check out the history behind the sugar industry pushing the notion that fat made you fat and not sugar.

How the Sugar Industry Shifted Blame to Fat
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:57 pm The free market will find a solution... not big government.
'free' markets often don't really come into play until the fundamental problems have been solved or subsidized by 'big government'
telecoms
computers
space
internet
solar panels
many diseases
etc etc

and markets are never 'free'
at one extreme, choking govt control and central planning
at the other, inevitable collusion, consolidation, and monopoly
the optimum is perhaps constant oversight and intervention in the pursuit of fair competition
with enough margin and protection to encourage innovation
not to mention the environmental and social infrastructure and protections required to make markets work for society, and not the other way around
i guess some would call that 'big government'

the very knowledge of the climate problem, is due to 'big government' research
perhaps it's all a grand conspiracy?

monstra mihi bona!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Yobbo wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:36 pm Pity her future husband
I don't know why people get worked up. This girl has ZERO power to change anything. Nobody listens to the experts, so why her ? She will have media attention for a certain time, her 15 minutes of fame, but so what ? There are people, with a lot less to say, that rabbit on in the media all the time. The public's average attention span these days is about 5 minutes. She will not start a revolution, unless it is conducted via facebook.
And even then I'm doubtful.

Even if this changes nothing, I think it's great to see that some kids have better things to do than hang out and play on their phones. Certainly, she'd be much better wife material if she sat around smoking joints, :bong: watching netflix and chilling, and getting pregnant with the boy next door, but maybe she has other plans ?
Go kids. :Bravo:
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:38 pm This girl has ZERO power to change anything.
situations can change rather abruptly once 'tipping point' consensus is reached
witness the soviet collapse

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic