How do you view 'Smart' prepaid data usage?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: How do you view 'Smart' prepaid data usage?

Post by Kuroneko »

fitnesspm wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:37 am Why the hell is it in US dollars? Is there a way to set it to 'normal' to GB like every other prepaid mobile service on the planet?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Last time I used SMART in the village.

30 minute of normal internet use... Facebook/Messenger = 1 dollar (out of $5).

I had to top off with another $5 to last the wedding ceremony.

Not so smart (on me).
fitnesspm
Tourist
Australia

Post by fitnesspm »

all good, I just downloaded 'data counter' widget for a work around.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

fitnesspm wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:59 pm all good, I just downloaded 'data counter' widget for a work around.
Maybe add a calculator?
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

:friends:
explorer wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:15 am I have found the information you get is many days behind. It can show you have a lot of data, then soon after you have none left. Then any other credit you have on your smart phone will be used up at a stupid rate, before you find out your data is used up. So I have not used it for the last couple of years. Unless it has improved, it is useless. I did wonder if it was an intentional scam.

You can set up an Android phone to record your data. However, it may not count data exactly the same way, so it might not be exactly the same, but it will give you a good indication.
Not sure I follow this, if you dial *888# you get your phone usage and *500*888# for your data usage. Just checked mine it takes 7seconds it gives you current data and expiry date. If you use another data package such as surf like crazy you use a different code to 500
When I top up my phone I get quite a bit of data free. When it runs out I transfer mony from my phone to data $1=30 I check my phone a couple of times a day I use about $5 month all up
greaker
Tourist
Denmark

Post by greaker »

With most Smart plans you have two balances. The main balance (real USD you have topped up) and the bonus balance. For data and on-net call/SMS you use the bonus balance first and then the real USD.

With StreamOn you get $ 3333 bonus for $ 8 topped up per month.

The bonus balance can be used for on-net calls/SMS and data. Price is $ 0,04 per minute/SMS/MB data.

If you call/SMS outside Smart's net you will use the main balance ($ 0,08/min, $ 0,05/SMS).

One month: $ 8
Bonus balance: $ 3333
Cost one MB: $ 0,04
GB one month: 83,3

Edit:

Personally I prefer Smart ThomMorng! Weekly with 8GB data for $ 1 per week.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Kuroneko wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:34 pm
explorer wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:15 am I have found the information you get is many days behind. It can show you have a lot of data, then soon after you have none left. Then any other credit you have on your smart phone will be used up at a stupid rate, before you find out your data is used up. So I have not used it for the last couple of years. Unless it has improved, it is useless. I did wonder if it was an intentional scam.
Not sure I follow this, if you dial *888# you get your phone usage and *500*888# for your data usage. Just checked mine it takes 7seconds it gives you current data and expiry date. If you use another data package such as surf like crazy you use a different code to 500
When I top up my phone I get quite a bit of data free. When it runs out I transfer mony from my phone to data $1=30 I check my phone a couple of times a day I use about $5 month all up
You can get this information, but is it displaying the data available right now. I have not bothered with anything like this for a couple of years, but the information displayed might actually be how much data you had available several days ago. I have gone from having a huge amount of data available, to it all being used up in a very short time. When it gets to zero, it gets updated quickly.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

CamExpat wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:12 am Advantage to the telco is its really difficult to figure out the true cost of any usage.
this
smart are particularly good at 'tricky'

monstra mihi bona!
fitnesspm
Tourist
Australia

Post by fitnesspm »

I jumped over to Metfone today and I can see "normal' data usage. Their app is easier and a lot better than Smart. :D

Smart doesn't work on Koh Rong but Metfone works fine here :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic