New to Cambodia with young family

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: New to Cambodia with young family

Post by pissontheroof »

Luke and co wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:01 pm Does anybody have some figures that I could work with? Food ? Beer ? Transportation?
Thanks.
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:59 pm Depending on your Nationality, a long-term stay of 7 months in Cambodia is extremely simple.

1. Obtain E-type (Ordinary) Visa on arrival, $35, valid for 1 month
2. Apply for 6 month EG (General) EOS (Extension of Stay) through visa agency
3. When EG EOS expires, leave Cambodia.
4. If you wish to return, repeat steps 1 & 2.

If you or your wife intend to work in Cambodia and enroll your kids in school, then you will need different EOS categories and Work Permits.
Thank you ! That is extremely helpful! Legend!

I get $3000 per month pension , that is 100 $ us money 💰 a day , every month - whatever I need but can’t find saves me money .
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Luke and co wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:10 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 am Being with kids, (alot will depend on the age of your kids as well), I think you will find traveling, eating, accommodations. and enjoying the country, Thailand better suited.
Easy to get a 3 month stay to figure it out
PLUS it will cost ya less $$
Thanks, we would most likely start in Thailand ( Phuket) and travel across but thought staying longer than 30 days was difficult? How can you stay 3 months?
apply for a tourist visa at an embassy,valid for a 60 days stay,renew in country for an additional 30 days, 1,900 baht
3 months
exit and repeat with no problems once
Phuket is a great pace to start. Raised my daughter here, can find inexpensive rent ( 2 bedroom homes from $400/month up to......) better, cheaper food than Cambodia, better health care if needed.
how old are ur kids? what will you do about school if there over 6?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Lol at "rates for babysitting"..... i know we shouldn't laugh but...
Anyway, hopefully the OP will be able to have a little chuckle at himself, and that remark, after he's spent a bit of time here.
Luke and co
Tourist
Australia

Post by Luke and co »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:52 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 am Being with kids, (alot will depend on the age of your kids as well), I think you will find traveling, eating, accommodations. and enjoying the country, Thailand better suited.
Thanks, we would most likely start in Thailand ( Phuket) and travel across but thought staying longer than 30 days was difficult? How can you stay 3 months?
apply for a tourist visa at an embassy,valid for a 60 days stay,renew in country for an additional 30 days, 1,900 baht
3 months
Phuket is a great pace to start. Raised my daughter here, can find inexpensive rent ( 2 bedroom homes from $400/month up to......) better, cheaper food than Cambodia, better health care if needed.
Great post, very helpful! Yes our two girls are 6 and 8 so and would be home schooled , of course not any more than a year. So kind of intrested to see the babysitter costs for time off the kids ? Thanks.
Luke and co
Tourist
Australia

Post by Luke and co »

IraHayes wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:58 pm Lol at "rates for babysitting"..... i know we shouldn't laugh but...
Anyway, hopefully the OP will be able to have a little chuckle at himself, and that remark, after he's spent a bit of time here.
Our kids are 6 and 8 and very independent so it's more to do with them not being left on their own. What kind of issues could I expect?
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

Baby sitter is not really a job in Cambodia. Someone, usually a family member does it.

There are USD6 hotel rooms everywhere in Cambodia but some places eg Phnom Penh they would be very basic. No AC. Fan only. Towns such as Kampot, Battambang, Koh Kong have ok rooms for 10USD

You can buy Khmer food for USD1 a plate but it may not be to your taste. Better food can cost a fair bit more. Fruit can be surprisingly expensive except bananas.

Clothing would be no less than in your country.

Beer can be had from 50 cents.
Luke and co
Tourist
Australia

Post by Luke and co »

hiway5 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:51 pm Baby sitter is not really a job in Cambodia. Someone, usually a family member does it.

There are USD6 hotel rooms everywhere in Cambodia but some places eg Phnom Penh they would be very basic. No AC. Fan only. Towns such as Kampot, Battambang, Koh Kong have ok rooms for 10USD

You can buy Khmer food for USD1 a plate but it may not be to your taste. Better food can cost a fair bit more. Fruit can be surprisingly expensive except bananas.

Clothing would be no less than in your country.

Beer can be had from 50 cents.
Thanks for the reply, that sounds great!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Luke and co wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:21 pm
3 months
Great post, very helpful! Yes our two girls are 6 and 8 so and would be home schooled , of course not any more than a year. So kind of intrested to see the babysitter costs for time off the kids ? Thanks.
MY khmer gf works at a pre school for western kids here an does occasional kid sitting 3-7 year olds, (your kids aren't babies) charges 100 baht/hour 5 hour min charge.

Not sure i'd want home school my kid in Thailand or for sure Cambodia, there just are no resources to help ya except what you can get online
Although a year off for a 6 & 8 year old is no big deal. I took my daughter when she was 12 to Europe for 1 term rather than the one school term. She loved it and learned a lot
Biggest disadvantage of home schooling, is kids need to socialize with others their same age
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Luke and co
Tourist
Australia

Post by Luke and co »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:52 pm
Luke and co wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:21 pm
3 months
MY khmer gf works at a pre school for western kids here an does occasional kid sitting 3-7 year olds, (your kids aren't babies) charges 100 baht/hour 5 hour min charge.

Not sure i'd want home school my kid in Thailand or for sure Cambodia, there just are no resources to help ya except what you can get online
Although a year off for a 6 & 8 year old is no big deal. I took my daughter when she was 12 to Europe for 1 term rather than the one school term. She loved it and learned a lot
Biggest disadvantage of home schooling, is kids need to socialize with others their same age
I really appreciate your feedback, at this point I think 6 months would be the best fit and nearly 2 of those is the Christmas break anyway. Luckily for us they are close in age and best mates, so that helps also. So I'm looking at about $25 a day for a sitter ( 5 hours) and print off a couple of hours school work for them to complete then a couple of hours a day with us might work ok in theory anyway 🤷‍♂️
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

You have received some good advice. I have small children also and I'd second the idea that your best off spending the majority of your 6 months or year in Thailand and make a trip to Cambodia for a few weeks to see the country.

Couple of points I'd emphasize.

1. Quality of healthcare. Yes, there are some good doctors in Cambodia...… if you are lucky enough to find them. More likely is that your either overcharged or you end up with someone that actually purchased their medical degree. In Thailand you will have several quality options available.

2. Ease of life and quality of life. Cambodia has improved a lot over the past several years. Its definitely getting better. But outside of PP and SR and perhaps Battambang it can be tough to just find "normal" things you take for granted. Thailand has all levels of comfort and convenience available at generally affordable prices.

3. Transportation. Both countries roads are dangerous. But in Thailand you can rent a quality car for a decent price. In Cambodia you will pay through the nose unless your renting from a "local" place that may be ok or maybe not.

4. Higher education level. Thailand will be full of young university students happy to tutor your children for a few hours a day. Same university students in Cambodia may unfortunately have an 8th grade level of knowledge. This is especially true in science and math.

5. Rule of law. Both countries have their challenges, but Cambodia is an outright corrupt place. Your with your family. Why take the risk.

Good luck
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic