New to Cambodia with young family

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Luke and co
Tourist
Australia

New to Cambodia with young family

Post by Luke and co »

Hi all , me my wife and two kids are looking at spending time traveling south east Asia particularly Cambodia as it seems cheap, friendly and relatively easy to stay for long periods?
Hoping you guys could offer some advice and insight before we embark on our adventure. Like the best way to secure longish Visa? Accommodation? Rates for babysitting and best areas to stay?
I would really appreciate any help, advice and ideas.
Thanks in advance.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: New to Cambodia with young family

Post by Duncan »

Luke and co wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:13 am Hi all , me my wife and two kids are looking at spending time traveling south east Asia particularly Cambodia as it seems cheap, friendly and relatively easy to stay for long periods?
Hoping you guys could offer some advice and insight before we embark on our adventure. Like the best way to secure longish Visa? Accommodation? Rates for babysitting and best areas to stay?
I would really appreciate any help, advice and ideas.
Thanks in advance.

I dont like using the word '' cheap '' any more. By the time you take into account the difference in exchange rates, the fact that you will also be traveling with kids that will not be happy eating rice and noodles every day and also what it's going to cost you if you need medical attention for them. This ain't going to be no '' cheap '' holiday venture for you.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Not even cheap on the USD anymore
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Being with kids, (alot will depend on the age of your kids as well), I think you will find traveling, eating, accommodations. and enjoying the country, Thailand better suited.
Easy to get a 3 month stay to figure it out
PLUS it will cost ya less $$
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

^^ Unless your kids consume a lot of beer and cigarettes.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

OP, how much of a Nervous Nelly are you and your wife? Lots to worry about in Cambodia if you have young children. Also beach choices are not good now. Vietnam and Thailand much better.
Re visas, you will be OK for 2 months in Cambodia (you will need to renew one time). After that it gets complicated. But you would only need to cross into Laos, Vietnam. Thailand and you can start again on your return to Cambodia.
Luke and co
Tourist
Australia

Post by Luke and co »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 am Being with kids, (alot will depend on the age of your kids as well), I think you will find traveling, eating, accommodations. and enjoying the country, Thailand better suited.
Easy to get a 3 month stay to figure it out
PLUS it will cost ya less $$
Thanks, we would most likely start in Thailand ( Phuket) and travel across but thought staying longer than 30 days was difficult? How can you stay 3 months?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:53 am Being with kids, (alot will depend on the age of your kids as well),
I guess they're young if they need babysitting!
Employing a Khmer babysitter could be an interesting experience.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Depending on your Nationality, a long-term stay of 7 months in Cambodia is extremely simple.

1. Obtain E-type (Ordinary) Visa on arrival, $35, valid for 1 month
2. Apply for 6 month EG (General) EOS (Extension of Stay) through visa agency
3. When EG EOS expires, leave Cambodia.
4. If you wish to return, repeat steps 1 & 2.

If you or your wife intend to work in Cambodia and enroll your kids in school, then you will need different EOS categories and Work Permits.
Luke and co
Tourist
Australia

Post by Luke and co »

Does anybody have some figures that I could work with? Food ? Beer ? Transportation?
Thanks.
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:59 pm Depending on your Nationality, a long-term stay of 7 months in Cambodia is extremely simple.

1. Obtain E-type (Ordinary) Visa on arrival, $35, valid for 1 month
2. Apply for 6 month EG (General) EOS (Extension of Stay) through visa agency
3. When EG EOS expires, leave Cambodia.
4. If you wish to return, repeat steps 1 & 2.

If you or your wife intend to work in Cambodia and enroll your kids in school, then you will need different EOS categories and Work Permits.
Thank you ! That is extremely helpful! Legend!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic