Sick British Expat DALE WOODS Needs GoFundMe Help to Get Home

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sick British Expat DALE WOODS Needs GoFundMe Help to Get Home

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A British expat, Dale Woods, has been diagnosed with lung cancer, and his nephew has set up a GoFundMe account to raise £10,000 to bring him back home to Norwich from Cambodia.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/dale-woods-i ... n-cambodia

"Dale Woods has been taken very ill whilst being in Cambodia. He is a UK citizen and has 2 children. He has been diagnosed with lung cancer and is in a Cambodian hospital and as many will know, no money means no treatment.

As a family we are trying to raise money to get him treatment to get him home. He is a kind gentleman who deserves help but as a family we can’t do this on our own. Please find it in your heart to give what you can. Every little helps.

Thank you for taking time to read this and thank you if you have been kind enough to make a donation. Even if you can’t afford to donate please share this so we can get to our target and get this kind gentleman the treatment he needs to be able to come home to his family.

More info: https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/dale-woods ... -1-6280333
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Sick British Expat DAVID WOODS Needs GoFundMe Help to Get Home

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Is he on a few years overstay also?

Because a flight, one way to the UK, runs as low as $400.
jd1965
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by jd1965 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:28 pm Is he on a few years overstay also?

Don't be a dick, if you haven't got anything useful to contribute [Mod edit: keep it civil pls]
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

jd1965 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:45 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:28 pm Is he on a few years overstay also?

Don't be a dick, if you haven't got anything useful to contribute.
Well, actually it's a legit comment. They either fund a regular trip by plane and all, needing maybe a thousand or two (in case business class is required), or they need an air ambulance in which case they're looking at 100k+. 10k is an odd number for a trip to the UK.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sick British Expat DALE WOODS Needs GoFundMe Help to Get Home

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Cleaned up a few posts..on topic please.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I dont get it and maybe i am callous but, I feel sorry for anyone in a position at 50++ years old that doesn't have friends or family, ( he even has 2 sons) to donate this small amount.. If i needed only £10,000 for anything,
i could raise it with 1-2 phone calls.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:49 pm I dont get it and maybe i am callous but, I feel sorry for anyone in a position at 50++ years old that doesn't have friends or family, ( he even has 2 sons) to donate this small amount.. If i needed only £10,000 for anything,
i could raise it with 1-2 phone calls.
He did make a few bob out of selling up to the Chinese, his guesthouse had a good location and I think maybe eight rooms. Maybe that's already gone.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I hope Dale' s family will be ok. I suppose there' s no way that they can go to the UK with him ? Isn' t there an obligation to prove that you have enough money to support your family ?

:wave: Hi Dale. Hope you get things sorted. Good luck.
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Post by The Seawolf »

The bloke looks at least 55. Surely by that age you would have enough savings or have enough family or enough old mates to rustle up a combined $10k in an emergency without having to go web begging?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:04 pm I hope Dale' s family will be ok. I suppose there' s no way that they can go to the UK with him ? Isn' t there an obligation to prove that you have enough money to support your family ?
That, plus what about the obligation to support yourself? He's been living here for 10 years and no medical insurance or $$ for a one way ticket back to his home country.

I know quite a few guys from my home country that are here coz they're on a low income old age government pension and they can live better here in KOW than back in their expensive home country. So, that makes good sense with the exception of.... when they get sick! Then, not enough money for doctors or hospitals here so what do they do? Wanna go back to their home country for the free medical/hospital services...

And so, like many other gofundme stories we've seen here, here we have another where they seek help via charitable donations for their plight. No responsibility entered into..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic