Phnom Penh Condo Market Slowdown Expected (Updated)

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Adam Xie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: As Skylines Transform, Local Buyers Persist With Familiar Housing Options

Post by Adam Xie »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:42 pm
Adam Xie wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:31 am
rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:51 pm
Adam Xie wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:52 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:12 pm

Nope.
Great, but your last point reminds me of typical advertising word from Chinese developers: City Centre! 5M to every where! Beside train line! Nearby School and major shopping centre, etc etc, ha ha ha ha.

Ok, about traffic time between your friends and my friends, I will withdraw from this topic, you win.

However here is an interesting point I would like to brought up, assume the place you come from, condo can last at least for 50 years or more (which should be like that), what if I tell you, 80% of the condo you see now a days being build in PP may be only last for 25 years or less, yet its price is similar to a landed property.

The point is, when landed house collaps, owner still got ownership of land, can rebuild property on the land as long as within criteria set up by law, but if its a condo, you don't get that freedom with strata title, yet, both property are at similar price isn't very logical isn't it?

Based on property agency research, Condo with reasonable price is welcome by middle income people , the total price should only be around about 70% of landed property price, however currently in PP, Condo with such price are not at city centre (for example urban village project), or either their quality is so bad which is not healthy for daily living.
I have been on many sites and I would argue that the percentage of buildings that are built to last more than 25 years is much higher than 20%. Sure some are build to last 25 years but majority do last long too. For average joe who doesn't know much about construction it's always bit of a gamble when buying a property.
But of course that is one of the advantages for landed house. No question about it.

And as you bring Urban Village project as an example, if you would have bought 2br unit from that project when they launched you could have get one for under $60k. I believe you still can get one under $100k. Similar size flat/shophouse with similar amenities next door there are asking $200k+. I was looking some shop houses there just last week. Even simple local standard 2br shophouse on a 100m2 plot 5-10 minutes further away from Urban Village is now $100k without any amenities.
If "the city" you mean refers to the "old Phnom Penh city area", I am sorry man, no condo unit inside this area is less than 2500/M2 (after taken account of common area which currently about 25% in the market), and please note that Condo I refers to, are those with design that allows similar air flow and natural light exposure condition to shop house,

So, lets do a simple math, Condo unit suitable for a middle income family with 2 kids usually requires at least 130M2 (net) , apply the average market price 2500/M2 (assume this is the net area price/M2) , 130M2 x USD2500 = USD325,000, with this price you can buy a 3 floor Twin Villa at PH Star premier or a nice 3 floor Link Villa at PH Chbap Ambov Land + house)

Which one previle is obvious

Finally, Urban village so far is one of the best example (Value for money aspect) for affordable condo development in PP inline with local market demand, but we can't find other similar project in Old city area at moment (Take Olympia for example).
Well I don't know about your requirements of "air flow and natural light", but you can find multiple well built, what I would consider with a good airflow and natural light exposure, for under 2000/m2, that are within 30 minutes drive in peak hours from Vattanac. Especially if you buy off the plan, when the condo is still under construction or straight from the developer. And you keep comparing oranges to apples. You compare a landed house middle of nowhere to condo unit in a prime location. Of course if you get a condo unit in prime location you have to get smaller size property vs when you buy property 1 hour from city. If you have kids, you might want to get big landed house far from city. But the article you linked was about young single Cambodian guy or who just got married. So they were getting their first place. Then many times city life in smaller property wins over country side.

I think we can say the discussion is over as it's obvious that you don't know enough of the market and I feel you talk from point of view of expat who lives in this city for couple of years maybe when I'm all the time referring to the article you linked and the needs of locals in long view.

You don't happen to be american?
To enable adequate air flow and natural light exposure, at lest a property's floor area ratio must be reasonably low, right now in the range of 30 Minuts traveling time to Vatank tower I can't find second project is better than One Park. (current market price range 3500-4000/M2).

And, dude...... PH Chbap Ampov is where Aeon 3 going to open soon, if you mean that area is middle of no where, ok, I believe you should start to go out from old city area (or come to visit Phnom Penh in person) for some time, in order to refresh your understanding of Phnom Penh City.

Don't bother to guess my time stay in KOW, it takes only 3 months or less for an experienced and descend developer to find out true local demand.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Adam Xie wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:42 pm
Adam Xie wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:52 pm

Great, but your last point reminds me of typical advertising word from Chinese developers: City Centre! 5M to every where! Beside train line! Nearby School and major shopping centre, etc etc, ha ha ha ha.

Ok, about traffic time between your friends and my friends, I will withdraw from this topic, you win.

However here is an interesting point I would like to brought up, assume the place you come from, condo can last at least for 50 years or more (which should be like that), what if I tell you, 80% of the condo you see now a days being build in PP may be only last for 25 years or less, yet its price is similar to a landed property.

The point is, when landed house collaps, owner still got ownership of land, can rebuild property on the land as long as within criteria set up by law, but if its a condo, you don't get that freedom with strata title, yet, both property are at similar price isn't very logical isn't it?

Based on property agency research, Condo with reasonable price is welcome by middle income people , the total price should only be around about 70% of landed property price, however currently in PP, Condo with such price are not at city centre (for example urban village project), or either their quality is so bad which is not healthy for daily living.
I have been on many sites and I would argue that the percentage of buildings that are built to last more than 25 years is much higher than 20%. Sure some are build to last 25 years but majority do last long too. For average joe who doesn't know much about construction it's always bit of a gamble when buying a property.
But of course that is one of the advantages for landed house. No question about it.

And as you bring Urban Village project as an example, if you would have bought 2br unit from that project when they launched you could have get one for under $60k. I believe you still can get one under $100k. Similar size flat/shophouse with similar amenities next door there are asking $200k+. I was looking some shop houses there just last week. Even simple local standard 2br shophouse on a 100m2 plot 5-10 minutes further away from Urban Village is now $100k without any amenities.
If "the city" you mean refers to the "old Phnom Penh city area", I am sorry man, no condo unit inside this area is less than 2500/M2 (after taken account of common area which currently about 25% in the market), and please note that Condo I refers to, are those with design that allows similar air flow and natural light exposure condition to shop house,

So, lets do a simple math, Condo unit suitable for a middle income family with 2 kids usually requires at least 130M2 (net) , apply the average market price 2500/M2 (assume this is the net area price/M2) , 130M2 x USD2500 = USD325,000, with this price you can buy a 3 floor Twin Villa at PH Star premier or a nice 3 floor Link Villa at PH Chbap Ambov Land + house)

Finally, Urban village so far is one of the best example (Value for money aspect) for affordable condo development in PP inline with local market demand, but we can't find other similar project in Old city area at moment (Take Olympia for example).
Well I don't know about your requirements of "air flow and natural light", but you can find multiple well built, what I would consider with a good airflow and natural light exposure, for under 2000/m2, that are within 30 minutes drive in peak hours from Vattanac. Especially if you buy off the plan, when the condo is still under construction or straight from the developer. And you keep comparing oranges to apples. You compare a landed house middle of nowhere to condo unit in a prime location. Of course if you get a condo unit in prime location you have to get smaller size property vs when you buy property 1 hour from city. If you have kids, you might want to get big landed house far from city. But the article you linked was about young single Cambodian guy or who just got married. So they were getting their first place. Then many times city life in smaller property wins over country side.

I think we can say the discussion is over as it's obvious that you don't know enough of the market and I feel you talk from point of view of expat who lives in this city for couple of years maybe when I'm all the time referring to the article you linked and the needs of locals in long view.

To enable adequate air flow and natural light exposure, at lest a property's floor area ratio must be reasonably low, right now in the range of 30 Minuts traveling time to Vatank tower I can't find second project is better than One Park. (current market price range 3500-4000/M2).

And, dude...... PH Chbap Ampov is where Aeon 3 going to open soon, if you mean that area is middle of no where, ok, I believe you should start to go out from old city area (or come to visit Phnom Penh in person) for some time, in order to refresh your understanding of Phnom Penh City.

Don't bother to guess my time stay in KOW, it takes only 3 months or less for an experienced and descend developer to find out true local demand.
I know very well where PH Chbap Ampov is and I didn't refer that as middle of nowhere (in fact I believe the area along HE bldv could be on of the best places to live in future if you can rent/buy reasonable priced property there) but to the places that you were referring originally. Remember, you claimed you can get a closed community small villa with 80k within 30 mins during rush hour from Vattanac? And all sudden now you bring +300k villas in the play. Ok.
Adam Xie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Adam Xie »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:06 pm

I know very well where PH Chbap Ampov is and I didn't refer that as middle of nowhere (in fact I believe the area along HE bldv could be on of the best places to live in future if you can rent/buy reasonable priced property there) but to the places that you were referring originally. Remember, you claimed you can get a closed community small villa with 80k within 30 mins during rush hour from Vattanac? And all sudden now you bring +300k villas in the play. Ok.
PH Star premier LC2 Villa cost you 70K, and it takes 30 Minuts goes to Vatanak Tower (for more precise location, PPWSA opposit Vatanak).
Aarata Villas cost you about 80K, and it takes 45 minutes goes to Vatanak Tower
Adam Xie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Adam Xie »

In fact you trying to telling me, my friend experience is not real, and I told you I no longer discuss this further since its meanless,
the point is, those community is not that far away as you imagine ,and property in there does prvoe to be more valuable than condos.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Adam Xie wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:10 pm

PH Star premier LC2 Villa cost you 70K, and it takes 30 Minuts goes to Vatanak Tower (for more precise location, PPWSA opposit Vatanak).
So Borey Arata is the Arata Garden Residences? I went to their sales office yesterday and their prices started from $148,000 for 120m2 3br, liveable area being more like 90-100m2. I think one could get 10-15% discount pretty easily but not more than that. But I wouldn't call it a villa, it's just a normal shophouse and not much landscaping around it.

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Adam Xie wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:42 pm And, dude...... PH Chbap Ampov is where Aeon 3 going to open soon, if you mean that area is middle of no where, ok, I believe you should start to go out from old city area (or come to visit Phnom Penh in person) for some time, in order to refresh your understanding of Phnom Penh City.
Aeon 3 is being built on HS Boulevard, it's Chak Angre Leu, not Chhba Ampov. It's not due to open till 2023.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2128598
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Adam Xie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Adam Xie »

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:50 pm
Adam Xie wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:10 pm

So Borey Arata is the Arata Garden Residences? I went to their sales office yesterday and their prices started from $148,000 for 120m2 3br, liveable area being more like 90-100m2. I think one could get 10-15% discount pretty easily but not more than that. But I wouldn't call it a villa, it's just a normal shophouse and not much landscaping around it.

......if you want, we can start a whole new topic compares property in PP market...instead of comment back and forth under some news
Adam Xie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Adam Xie »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:11 pm
Adam Xie wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:42 pm And, dude...... PH Chbap Ampov is where Aeon 3 going to open soon, if you mean that area is middle of no where, ok, I believe you should start to go out from old city area (or come to visit Phnom Penh in person) for some time, in order to refresh your understanding of Phnom Penh City.
Aeon 3 is being built on HS Boulevard, it's Chak Angre Leu, not Chhba Ampov. It's not due to open till 2023.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2128598
Your info is correct, Aeon 3 is on 60M road, PH was using that as a major advantage for their project at Chbap Anpov.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Condo market slowdown expected as elections approach.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

New Phnom Penh City project is ready to open soon
June 22, 2020
The land for the Grand Phnom Penh City Project with luxury residential project, international golf course, and ample green park spanning 260 acres in Phnom Penh was acquired by Chip Mong in late 2019. The project is nearing completion.
Chip Mong Land, a real estate development company of Chip Mong, plans to expand the roads to accommodate more cars, so traffic will be easy. All the sidewalks will have shade and greenery for walking. The new project is creating its infrastructure, its environment and its economic potential in order to provide residents or businesses with comfort and luxury.
Chip Mongland is constructing the first Central Park in Phnom Penh with shady trees provided for relaxation, a gym, a golf course, and a children's playground. What's more, Chip Mongland will also develop a business center at the site.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Condo market slowdown expected as elections approach.

Post by Phnom Poon »

i don't understand why these luxury developments feature manicured golf courses

they must be a nightmare to maintain in the cambodian climate
and a nightmare to play, under the tropical sun

i'm left thinking it's a bullshit attempt to attract wealthy asian retirees used to more temperate climes

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic