How much time is left on the clock?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How much time is left on the clock?

Post by John Bingham »

MarkRobinson wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:16 am :dragonchase:
I also never felt the need to reproduced a copy of myself ,+ there are already too many humans on this finite earth.It makes my time here so much easier not having to worry or provide for extra mouths. :dragonchase:
I now take up my role as a clown master, I attempt to categorize and direct the clowns ,for their & our well being & amusement. :dragonchase:
Unfortunately you seem to be the only person who finds your jokes funny.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

He has joined the ranks of the clowns elsewhere.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Apparently, it's not the aliens that are causing the humans to destroy life on Earth, but the capitalists.

This Is Not the Sixth Extinction. It’s the First Extermination Event.

https://truthout.org/articles/this-is-n ... ion-event/

"We are in the midst of the First Extermination Event, the process by which capital[ism] has pushed the Earth to the brink of the Necrocene, the age of the new necrotic death."
For some 500 years, capitalism’s logic of eco-genocidal accumulation has presided over both the physical eradication of human and non-human life and the cultural eradication of the languages, traditions and collective knowledge that constitute life’s diversity. It necrotizes the planetary biosphere, leaving behind only decay. It burns the practically unrecoverable library of life and eradicates its future masterpieces simultaneously. It inflicts not just physical destruction, but psychological grief and trauma as people witness their lands go under the sea, get immolated by fire, and drown in mud.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

While destroying Democracy at the same time? It appears that we are facing two crisis, that of climate change and the rise of fascism!
Is Capitalism a Threat to Democracy?
The idea that authoritarianism attracts workers harmed by the free market, which emerged when the Nazis were in power, has been making a comeback. By Caleb Crain May 7, 2018

In London, in the nineteen-thirties, the émigré Hungarian intellectual Karl Polanyi was known among his friends as “the apocalyptic chap.” His gloom was understandable. Nearly fifty, he’d had to leave his wife, daughter, and mother behind in Vienna shortly after Austria lurched toward fascism, in 1933.

In Polanyi’s opinion, whenever the profit-making impulse becomes deadlocked with the need to shield people from its harmful side effects, voters are tempted by the “fascist solution”: reconcile profit and security by forfeiting civic freedom. The insight became the keystone of his masterpiece, “The Great Transformation,” which was published in 1944, as the world was coming to terms with the destruction that fascism had wrought.

Today, as in the nineteen-thirties, strongmen are ascendant worldwide, purging civil servants, subverting the judiciary, and bullying the press. In a sweeping, angry new book, “Can Democracy Survive Global Capitalism?” (Norton), the journalist, editor, and Brandeis professor Robert Kuttner champions Polanyi as a neglected prophet. Like Polanyi, he believes that free markets can be crueller than citizens will tolerate, inflicting a distress that he thinks is making us newly vulnerable to the fascist solution. In Kuttner’s description, however, today’s political impasse is different from that of the nineteen-thirties. It is being caused not by a stalemate between leftist governments and a reactionary business sector but by leftists in government who have reneged on their principles.

Since the demise of the Soviet Union, Kuttner contends, America’s Democrats, Britain’s Labour Party, and many of Europe’s social democrats have consistently tacked rightward, relinquishing concern for ordinary workers and embracing the power of markets; they have sided with corporations and investors so many times that, by now, workers no longer feel represented by them. When strongmen arrived promising jobs and a shared sense of purpose, working-class voters were ready for the message.
[urlhttps://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/05/14/i ... -democracy][/url]
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic