Siem Reap Tourists Complain: Angkor Wat is Full of Trash, Lake Visits are a Rip Off

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Siem Reap Tourists Complain: Angkor Wat is Full of Trash, Lake Visits are a Rip Off

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia Breaking News (Siem Reap): There many tourists complaining on Tripadvisor website about trash in Siem Ream as well as in the sacred Angkor Wat temple area. There are are also complaints about lake visit boat rip offs and general dissatisfaction from international visitors. Recently, the number of tourists in Cambodia is decreasing. [sic: Quote from the social media page. ]

The Cambodian social media page of Artist Cambodia, has been collecting online comments from Siem Reap tourists over recent months. Here are some of them:

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Siem Reap Tourists Complain: Angkor Wat is Full of Trash, Lake Visits are a Rip Off

Post by frizzie77 »

I suppose it's the new Tourism Slogan for Cambodia. Just look at the situation in Sihanoukville, Kampot, Phnom Penh and now apparently Siem Reap and even Angkor.

It's no longer the "Kingdom of Wonder" (was it ever?), it's now the "Kingdom of Trash, more Trash, and ultimate Trash" (did I mention 'TRASH'???).

The amount of garbage, rubbish, trash, whatever you call it, anywhere in Cambodia is absolutely appalling. It's much, much worse than it was only a few years ago. And nobody seems to care, it's just piling up.

One of an increasing number of reasons I'm thinking of leaving this Kingdom.
jrjrjr
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Siem Reap Tourists Complain: Angkor Wat is Full of Trash, Lake Visits are a Rip Off

Post by jrjrjr »

Nothing new...
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

"Volunteer tour guide also eating candy donated to potentially fake school children"

Jesus, mary, holy mother of God, that's what i came half way around the world for, to give a couple of bags of candy to some authentic starving school kids...
Lol.

No comment on tourists and no (similar) comments on tourist operators.
other than to say that modern mass tourism is a bit silly in my book. (I'm trying to be polite here)

But it is a dammed shame that almost no tourists get a real look inside this incredible world of lake.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I was there around that time and there was a bit of a mess from local visitors in some areas. Apparently they have taken steps to stop people having picnics and messing the place up since those reports.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:43 am I was there around that time and there was a bit of a mess from local visitors in some areas. Apparently they have taken steps to stop people having picnics and messing the place up since those reports.
can't wait for the reviews posted on or just after Pchum Benh.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I looked through some of those Tripadvisor reviews and they are hilarious. Pure ignorance meets entitlement.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

^ Lol. That is hilarious. Angkor Wat is full of f'king rocks. :-o

I' m sorry for the guy whose wife left him, but somehow I don't think it was the fault of Angkor Wat. :fool:
(See the Angkor WaTF post above. AND he got 4 likes !)
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ I'm with the second last guy, "Ruins". They really should make a serious effort to restore the place. (Get some cement to fill in the cracks, and a coat of paint will make it much nicer looking). And, don't forget the washrooms inside the temples for all us old codgers who need to relieve themselves every hour (If they could have self flushing toilets that will be much more hygienic, and some of those hot air blower things for drying hands too please).
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

No-one ,, No-one, has mentioned the one sacred word, RUBBISH BINS. Even a photo of one at Angkor Whatever would be helpful.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic