The fisherman and the businessman

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

The fisherman and the businessman

Post by The Seawolf »

The Fisherman And The Businessman by Paulo Coelho

There was once a businessman who was sitting by the beach in a small Brazilian village.
As he sat, he saw a Brazilian fisherman rowing a small boat towards the shore having caught quite few big fish.
The businessman was impressed and asked the fisherman, “How long does it take you to catch so many fish?”
The fisherman replied, “Oh, just a short while.”
“Then why don’t you stay longer at sea and catch even more?” The businessman was astonished.
“This is enough to feed my whole family,” the fisherman said.
The businessman then asked, “So, what do you do for the rest of the day?”
The fisherman replied, “Well, I usually wake up early in the morning, go out to sea and catch a few fish, then go back and play with my kids. In the afternoon, I take a nap with my wife, and evening comes, I join my buddies in the village for a drink — we play guitar, sing and dance throughout the night.”

The businessman offered a suggestion to the fisherman.
“I am a PhD in business management. I could help you to become a more successful person. From now on, you should spend more time at sea and try to catch as many fish as possible. When you have saved enough money, you could buy a bigger boat and catch even more fish. Soon you will be able to afford to buy more boats, set up your own company, your own production plant for canned food and distribution network. By then, you will have moved out of this village and to Sao Paulo, where you can set up HQ to manage your other branches.”

The fisherman continues, “And after that?”
The businessman laughs heartily, “After that, you can live like a king in your own house, and when the time is right, you can go public and float your shares in the Stock Exchange, and you will be rich.”

The fisherman asks, “And after that?”
The businessman says, “After that, you can finally retire, you can move to a house by a fishing village, wake up early in the morning, catch a few fish, then return home to play with kids, have a nice afternoon nap with your wife, and when evening comes, you can join your buddies for a drink, play the guitar, sing and dance throughout the night!”
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Re: The fisherman and the businessman

Post by Yobbo »

The Seawolf wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:13 pm The Fisherman And The Businessman by Paulo Coelho

There was once a businessman who was sitting by the beach in a small Brazilian village.
As he sat, he saw a Brazilian fisherman rowing a small boat towards the shore having caught quite few big fish.
The businessman was impressed and asked the fisherman, “How long does it take you to catch so many fish?”
The fisherman replied, “Oh, just a short while.”
“Then why don’t you stay longer at sea and catch even more?” The businessman was astonished.
“This is enough to feed my whole family,” the fisherman said.
The businessman then asked, “So, what do you do for the rest of the day?”
The fisherman replied, “Well, I usually wake up early in the morning, go out to sea and catch a few fish, then go back and play with my kids. In the afternoon, I take a nap with my wife, and evening comes, I join my buddies in the village for a drink — we play guitar, sing and dance throughout the night.”

The businessman offered a suggestion to the fisherman.
“I am a PhD in business management. I could help you to become a more successful person. From now on, you should spend more time at sea and try to catch as many fish as possible. When you have saved enough money, you could buy a bigger boat and catch even more fish. Soon you will be able to afford to buy more boats, set up your own company, your own production plant for canned food and distribution network. By then, you will have moved out of this village and to Sao Paulo, where you can set up HQ to manage your other branches.”

The fisherman continues, “And after that?”
The businessman laughs heartily, “After that, you can live like a king in your own house, and when the time is right, you can go public and float your shares in the Stock Exchange, and you will be rich.”

The fisherman asks, “And after that?”
The businessman says, “After that, you can finally retire, you can move to a house by a fishing village, wake up early in the morning, catch a few fish, then return home to play with kids, have a nice afternoon nap with your wife, and when evening comes, you can join your buddies for a drink, play the guitar, sing and dance throughout the night!”
With the Seawolf who couldn't sell his codswallop.
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Post by The Seawolf »

Its a little simplistic isn't it?

Nice enough sentiment though.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

The Seawolf wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:24 pm Its a little simplistic isn't it?

Nice enough sentiment though.
Agreed & I loved the Alchemist!
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

there's also a version where the businessman starts a business with the fisherman
in the end the businessman ends up sleeping all day and partying all night, on the profits
while the fisherman has to fish all day just to eat
realistic

monstra mihi bona!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Phnom Poon wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:16 pm I read a more realistic one where the businessman started a business with the fisherman
in the end the businessman ended up sleeping all day and partying all night, on the profits
while the fisherman had to fish all day just to eat
Uh, that'd be the non-fiction version. :mrgreen:
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Coelho was always a bit twee for my taste.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Phnom Poon wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:16 pm there's also a version where the businessman starts a business with the fisherman
in the end the businessman ends up sleeping all day and partying all night, on the profits
realistic
An even newer version just came out
I haven't finished it yet - ' just got to the part where the fisherman found out there were no more fish in the sea...
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:36 pm
Phnom Poon wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:16 pm there's also a version where the businessman starts a business with the fisherman
realistic
An even newer version just came out
I haven't finished it yet - ' just got to the part where the fisherman found out there were no more fish in the sea...
indeed, it seems capitalism must die, or the world will

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic