Wills

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Wills

Post by armchairlawyer »

Crikey, it is difficult to know what to do for the best. I don't know any Cambodian law (but I do know there isn't much to know in this area of law). My Khmer lawyer told me the Will must be in Khmer language. Otherwise much as stated as the third option. The other biggie, according to him, is the bank names and account numbers must be specified. Basically, in the legal vacuum, banks are often unwilling to pay out unless they have the fullest documentation in front of them (a cynic would say they use any excuse not to pay).
Sorry Anchor Moy had difficulties, I have it in writing from Canadia and from ABA that they will pay out to my next of kin, but they will require a sealed Will from my home country. I don't intend to rely on that, however, it is just a backstop idea in case things don't go as planned.

In practical terms, if you really want to be sure then you go for the first (very expensive) option of full notarisation. Otherwise, if your only asset is cash, then you can use the joint account method or do nothing and hope not to die a sudden death (withdraw it all before you die). Be safe everyone.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

.....if your only asset is cash, then you can use the joint account method
This is the method i will use,
Land, cars, motorcycles will be in her name
will open another account just for my ss payments, which on my death will cease being wired in.

US accounts are specified in my US will, will go to my daughter

For Americans, the embassy will issue a death certificate which in normal cases, (i now see Cambodia is far from normal) is all one needs to get the $$ from the bank account along with the will stating said person is the beneficiary.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I bit the bullet and got a will $1000 noturised only for money in bank accounts , did it only to make life easier for kid's if I happen to kick the bucket, kid's have the sealed will if needed I won't be here to see if it works out but it's the best I could do
Not leaving anything to anyone over here Cambodia
It's like insurance hopefully in 10 or more years and I'm still here and spent most of the money the will would have been waste of money but it's done now so I can sleep and die peacefully
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

atst wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:01 pm I bit the bullet and got a will $1000 noturised only for money in bank accounts , did it only to make life easier for kid's if I happen to kick the bucket, kid's have the sealed will if needed I won't be here to see if it works out but it's the best I could do
Not leaving anything to anyone over here Cambodia
It's like insurance hopefully in 10 or more years and I'm still here and spent most of the money the will would have been waste of money but it's done now so I can sleep and die peacefully
I'm curious to know whether the Will specified the names of the banks and the account numbers of your accounts.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Yes it did and I don't anticipate them changing plus copies of kids birth certificate and passport just in case my daughter got married and had name change
Cambodia you need to cross all the TS and crosses
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic