Child Sex Tourism Remains a Problem in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Child Sex Tourism Remains a Problem in Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

FBI agents are training Cambodian police to investigate the crime amid concerns it is becoming more prevalent
REUTERS
By Matt Blomberg

PHNOM PENH, Sept 11 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - U.S. and Australian crime fighters are preparing Cambodia for a spike in online child sex abuse cases but local officials fear that predators are a step ahead of police due to narrow laws.

The spread of cheap, high-speed internet and the rise in mobile phone ownership is fuelling cybersex trafficking across Southeast Asia - a form of modern-day slavery where children are abused and raped over livestreams for paying clients worldwide.

Agents from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Australian Federal Police (AFP) have in recent months started training Cambodian police to investigate the crime amid concerns that it is becoming more prevalent in the country.

Yet undercover investigations in sexual abuse cases are not permitted under Cambodian law, hindering the authorities' ability to tackle the trend, said Khuon Sokpiseth, deputy director of the interior ministry's cybercrime department.

"We need this capacity to infiltrate networks and we need new cybercrime laws for the department to properly carry out its mission," Sokpiseth told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

A more comprehensive cybercrime law has been in the pipeline for at least two years, he said, without giving further details.

The interior ministry and the justice ministry both declined to discuss the proposed legislation.

The Philippines is considered to be the epicentre of cybersex trafficking - with its high level of English, rampant poverty and cheap Internet access - yet campaigners say the crime is spreading across the region from Vietnam to Cambodia.

At least three-quarters of Cambodians had internet access as of the start of this year, up from 45% of the population in 2017, according to We Are Social, a social media marketing firm.

"Countering the online sexual exploitation of children is a priority ... for Cambodia," said a spokesman for the AFP, which ran a workshop with local law enforcement agencies in July.

"Of particular concern is the rise in instances and rates of child exploitation overseas with Australians involved."

The United States, Britain and Australia are the main consumers of child sex abuse streamed over webcam, he added.

The FBI confirmed it had been involved in a recent workshop on the issue with Cambodian police, but did not comment further.
http://news.trust.org/item/20190910233641-he2cn/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:47 pm FBI agents are training Cambodian police to investigate the crime amid concerns it is becoming more prevalent
REUTERS
By Matt Blomberg

PHNOM PENH, Sept 11 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - U.S. and Australian crime fighters are preparing Cambodia for a spike in online child sex abuse cases but local officials fear that predators are a step ahead of police due to narrow laws.

A more comprehensive cybercrime law has been in the pipeline for at least two years, he said, without giving further details.

The interior ministry and the justice ministry both declined to discuss the proposed legislation.

"Countering the online sexual exploitation of children is a priority ... for Cambodia," said a spokesman for the AFP, which ran a workshop with local law enforcement agencies in July.

"Of particular concern is the rise in instances and rates of child exploitation overseas with Australians involved."

The United States, Britain and Australia are the main consumers of child sex abuse streamed over webcam, he added.

The FBI confirmed it had been involved in a recent workshop on the issue with Cambodian police, but did not comment further.
http://news.trust.org/item/20190910233641-he2cn/
Good to see everyone's on the same page. What a joke, seminars, NGO' s, initiatives, millions after millions of donations seem to have achieved very little in a small country. This is probably the most obscene example of self perpetuating employment with next to no results for the money spent. Why is nobody still not insisting on screening teachers or other foreigners getting jobs with access to children given the history of the cases over the last few years. Rhetorical question. Cambodia still seems to be held up as a puppet for Child Sex Exploitation worldwide when it should be held up as a shining example of a complete failure of what a corrupt government and self interested/invested NGO sector can do to perpetuate the issue for their own financial gain.

Tomorrow or next week or next month, so and so from America with previous convictions in his home country for child sex offences arrested in Siem Reap after 3 months operation by APLE.

Groundhog day, month, year after year $$$$$$$$$$. Come back in 5 years, 10 years to this forum and I'm sure nothing much will have changed on this issue despite the donations, the seminars, the initiatives, the foreign involvement etc etc.

How hard is it ??
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Hernández
Tourist
Mexico

Post by Hernández »

those foreigners are not the real problem. I have reported 2 cases already to APLE and other NGO and NOTHING is done because locals involved!!!
they don't want OR simply are not allowed to catch any locals they just need white western people!!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Meanwhile, fathers of mixed race kids are constantly looking over their shoulders, at least in Phnom Penh, afraid to show the kind of love that fathers everywhere shower their kids with.

This is a land where a Khmer husband beating his wife is perceived as a given right.

One society with with two different sets of rules. Foreigners are held to one standard. Locals are held to a completely different one.

Just another reason I stay as the eternal tourist in the Kingdom of Wonder.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

newkidontheblock wrote:Meanwhile, fathers of mixed race kids are constantly looking over their shoulders, at least in Phnom Penh, afraid to show the kind of love that fathers everywhere shower their kids with.

Never had that feeling tbh =)

I'm pretty sure Apple cleared me years ago...
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

It seemed this problem had mostly been resolved for about 5 years but is back now, especially in siem reap.

Aside from the obviously horrific damage to kids, I really dislike the reputation it gives the country and the suspicion it causes towards expats. i think it is pretty much unique to Cambodia.

Strange also what a sleazy reputation Cambodia has when Thailand mostly escapes unscathed aside from Pattaya.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:11 am fathers of mixed race kids are constantly looking over their shoulders
Says the childless Asian.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

newkidontheblock wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:11 am Meanwhile, fathers of mixed race kids are constantly looking over their shoulders, at least in Phnom Penh, afraid to show the kind of love that fathers everywhere shower their kids with.

This is a land where a Khmer husband beating his wife is perceived as a given right.

One society with with two different sets of rules. Foreigners are held to one standard. Locals are held to a completely different one.

Just another reason I stay as the eternal tourist in the Kingdom of Wonder.
Do you have mixed-race children? Are you speaking from experience or just passing on an anecdote you overheard? I have mixed-race children and have never been looked at strangely nor do I spend my time looking over my shoulder.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Im pretty sure if a westerner is abusing a kid its because someone is pimping the kid out, and not just to the westerners. until they start arresting the pimps, which is very likely to be a family member, nothing will change. someone said its a hard life picking up rubbish, theres usually a family sitting in a slum somewhere playing cards waiting for the rubbish collector to bring home the money else get a beating. collecting rubbish might not be the best job but its better then a beating.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Hernández wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:56 am those foreigners are not the real problem. I have reported 2 cases already to APLE and other NGO and NOTHING is done because locals involved!!!
they don't want OR simply are not allowed to catch any locals they just need white western people!!
cant get money out of a local
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic