Philippines reports record numbers of retirement visa applications

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Philippines reports record numbers of retirement visa applications

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

5 Sep 2019

The visa programme for retirees from overseas is friendlier and less draconian than those in Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam, as the qualifications required are far less complicated.

The total was 6,437, a 10 per cent increase over 2017’s figures, with this year’s numbers expected to raise the total still higher. Since 1987, 63,538 visas have been granted to expat retirees looking to create a better and less expensive lifestyle for themselves in a welcoming country. It’s not just elderly incomers who’re benefiting, as the increased overall spend from retirees is boosting revenues in a country still considered as impoverished

The visa programme for retirees from overseas is friendlier and less draconian than those in Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam, as the qualifications required are far less complicated. The programme itself is far from new, with the qualifying age a relatively low 35 years.

In 2018, Chinese incomers made up 40 per cent of the total, with South Korean expats accounting for 21 per cent. American retirees totalled just 4.7 per cent, and no-one’s as yet counted the numbers of British expats arriving from Thailand.

Full https://www.emigrate.co.uk/news/2019090 ... quirements
tireswang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Philippines reports record numbers of retirement visa applications

Post by tireswang »

It is not more fun in the Philippines,...unless you are a Koreano or Chinese. American Expats are looking for another place, and Cambodia was the place I chose. 13 years of duh Sillypines, was more than enough for me.
~
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

tireswang wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:14 pm It is not more fun in the Philippines,...unless you are a Koreano or Chinese. American Expats are looking for another place, and Cambodia was the place I chose. 13 years of duh Sillypines, was more than enough for me.
Thanx for the info ..
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

tireswang wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:14 pm It is not more fun in the Philippines,...unless you are a Koreano or Chinese. American Expats are looking for another place, and Cambodia was the place I chose. 13 years of duh Sillypines, was more than enough for me.
Out of interest why not? I always found Phil to be a great place to visit and it looked like it would be a nice place to live.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

I thought to get a retirement visa you needed some cash or an income?
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
tireswang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tireswang »

You do need some $ and "proof" to get a retirement visa in Pi...and even though there may less stringent rules and easier than getting one in Thailand, it is not a picnic obtaining a resident visa in Pi....and it is Not more fun in Pi...and I do Not recommend Pi. as an Alternative to Thailand.
~
tireswang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tireswang »

:crazy :crazy: Dear Element 6, in answer to your question why not,...his name is Dudurty...and so far it is still ok to VISIT there briefly....it is all about the ATTITUDES that now prevail. The Filipino are very jealous of anyone who has "more" than they do especially if you are a Foreigner....Allow me to suggest just visiting before you make any commitments.
~
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by CaptainNemo »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:21 am no-one’s as yet counted the numbers of British expats arriving from Thailand.

Full https://www.emigrate.co.uk/news/2019090 ... quirements
For most British in Thailand, if they can't afford Malaysia, Cambodia seems the next best option. It's almost like not having to completely leave Thailand, just having it there for when you need it like for hospitals and shopping. It's tricky because living in small towns anywhere it dull, you need something to occupy yourself or just move to a proper Asian city that's got access to clean safe beaches, culture, sport, and nightlife. It'd be nice if Burma was sorted out and links were re-established, but that seems a long way off. There are a fair number of Anglo-Flipperina couples, and plenty of Flippers working in the UK in healthcare and at sea, but but for the most part, I don't think there's a massive connection there. There are lots of ties between the USA and Flipland obviously. This disaspora of Koreans is a curious thing; you don't seem to see the Japs doing it so much. I'm not sure how an indundation of Chinese will pan out, what with regional political tensions.
I'm not like other boys...
tireswang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by tireswang »

:salut: I wish Burma/Myanmar would get thangs sorted out, I got a hankering to go for a look see over there...meanwhile I be keeping my options open and am maintaining a Philippine resident visa along with a Cambodian resident visa too. The Chinese government is making me as nervous as the U.S. government and Philippine government...what more can a poor old farang, barang, cano do, except roll with punches and avoid Hong Kong?
~
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by CaptainNemo »

Basically, anywhere cheap in the world is vulnerable to Chinese financial tentacles, regardless of whether they are hated or not. At least in Japan and Indonesia, they don't seem to be able to get as much traction as elsewhere in the region.
I guess the poorer parts of the EU are somewhat shielded from the insidious BRI, but even Australia is leant on by them. Glad to see NZ putting a halt on the land buy-up.
I'm not like other boys...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic