visa questions (if your business isn't registered)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
curiosity
Expatriate
Netherlands

visa questions (if your business isn't registered)

Post by curiosity »

Hi folks,

it seems that after the new law has been passed it is pretty difficult to get a visa if your business is not registered (which I tried, but it seems like an impossible task at the moment). What are the alternatives? Also, what is a border run?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: visa questions (if your business isn't registered)

Post by fax »

curiosity wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:00 am What are the alternatives?
A job.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

fax wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:51 am
curiosity wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:00 am What are the alternatives?
A job.
You mean a real job, ,,right ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

curiosity wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:00 am Hi folks,

it seems that after the new law has been passed it is pretty difficult to get a visa if your business is not registered (which I tried, but it seems like an impossible task at the moment). What are the alternatives? Also, what is a border run?
Getting a Visa is simple, your question is related to the Visa Extension of Stay.

You need to be more specific...what is the purpose of your stay? How long do you intend to stay?
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Duncan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:11 am You mean a real job, ,,right ?
Yes for a real company that pays the real foreign employment quota to the real ministry of labor and issues a real employment letter which the real immigration department will issue a real visa extension for when they see.
curiosity
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by curiosity »

yes extension of visa. I like to stay in Cambodia for another year. After my Khmer boss got too interested in me, I started my own small company doing writing and translation services. I'm not too keen to work for another Khmer male. I was told that a ''visa run'' might work. My question is: What is a visa run?
curiosity
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by curiosity »

sorry "border run"'. I'm not actually sure how it is called.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

curiosity wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:52 am What is a visa run?
When you leave the border with the purpose of acquiring a new visa. For example, if you have a tourist visa and wish to change to ordinary visa you must do a border run.

In your case you may leave the country, come back and obtain an E type (ordinary) visa on arrival and then extend for 6 months as EG type ("looking for work"). Since this extension is only possible once per visa you must leave the country before it expires, do a border run, and apply for a new visa on arrival of E type (ordinary) and apply for another 6 months EG extension.

The process of crossing the border with the intention to obtain a new visa is called doing a border run.

Any work conducted without the proper work permit and E type visa ("work visa") is illegal.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@fax ...spot on :thumb:

@curiosity ...you would need to register your business in order to be able to obtain a 12 mth EB (Business) EOS, and as Fax mentioned if you are running your un-registered business/working without an EB EOS and WP then you are illegally residing in Cambodia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic