White girls speak khmer

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
boom
Tourist
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:30 am
Reputation: 4

Re: White girls speak khmer

Post by boom » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:28 am

User avatar
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:12 pm
Reputation: 20
Cambodia

Re: White girls speak khmer

Post by pissontheroof » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:10 am

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:49 pm
phuketrichard wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:59 am
this is how the US state dept teaches for all its people at the Monterrey language school.
every language. not just french or Spanish or Russian or.....

PS:i learned Swahili the same way

You learn by listening and it sinks in...
when you can have someone explain it properly
exactly... u learning it<( having it explained to you ) in english an than translating
so always rather than just replying in a conversation to what someone says, ur needing to translate in ur head from the word to english an than u can reply
time consuming and u will never become fluent that way
what way works for some people, doesnt always work for others mate, its just your usual "the ONLY way to learn a foreign language" quote that i disagree with, because clearly its not, "preferred" might have been a better word to use

Khmer isnt an easy language to learn, due to the fact theres not much learning material out there, and the only way people learn, is often by the methods you have stated, but their knowledge of the language isnt always the best, just my opinion the same as you have yours, just talking from experience with the Khmer language

im learning Thai now and planning on going to school here at some point this year, maybe September, should find it much easier as ive got Khmer to compare it with, surprising how similar the language is in parts tbh
It’s september now , are you in school ? is knowing khmer a help in learning thai for you ? I found it a hindrance the other way around 🙈🙉🙊, I learned to do all the thai reading , writing , speaking in thai land , cambodia don’t really compare well . When I went to school here the teacher couldn’t even spell , he gave us choices how to spell to pronounce what he was teaching us , some of the words from thai they use here aren’t used the same or sometimes not pronounced the same . I think it reflects the difference in the the intelligence of the 2 , I have a list but I can’t learn this language here , except for some bad words ...
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
User avatar
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Posts: 13715
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am
Reputation: 1911
Location: Naklua
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: White girls speak khmer

Post by Jamie_Lambo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:01 pm

pissontheroof wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:10 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:49 pm
phuketrichard wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:59 am
this is how the US state dept teaches for all its people at the Monterrey language school.
every language. not just french or Spanish or Russian or.....

PS:i learned Swahili the same way

You learn by listening and it sinks in...
when you can have someone explain it properly
exactly... u learning it<( having it explained to you ) in english an than translating
so always rather than just replying in a conversation to what someone says, ur needing to translate in ur head from the word to english an than u can reply
time consuming and u will never become fluent that way
what way works for some people, doesnt always work for others mate, its just your usual "the ONLY way to learn a foreign language" quote that i disagree with, because clearly its not, "preferred" might have been a better word to use

Khmer isnt an easy language to learn, due to the fact theres not much learning material out there, and the only way people learn, is often by the methods you have stated, but their knowledge of the language isnt always the best, just my opinion the same as you have yours, just talking from experience with the Khmer language

im learning Thai now and planning on going to school here at some point this year, maybe September, should find it much easier as ive got Khmer to compare it with, surprising how similar the language is in parts tbh
It’s september now , are you in school ? is knowing khmer a help in learning thai for you ? I found it a hindrance the other way around 🙈🙉🙊, I learned to do all the thai reading , writing , speaking in thai land , cambodia don’t really compare well . When I went to school here the teacher couldn’t even spell , he gave us choices how to spell to pronounce what he was teaching us , some of the words from thai they use here aren’t used the same or sometimes not pronounced the same . I think it reflects the difference in the the intelligence of the 2 , I have a list but I can’t learn this language here , except for some bad words ...
not yet, tbh theres a lot of decent teachers with youtube channels its almost unnecessary
yes it is a lot of help than if i was just learning Thai from scratch, theres a lot of similar rules and grammar, and also (almost) shared words, as you mentioned, the shared words are pronounced differently, that is because Thais pronounce their vowels differently, or they are spelt slightly different, eg. the word for Time, in Thai = เวลา (Welaa) & Khmer = វេលា (Velia), they are spelt the same but are pronounced different due to the vowels
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
User avatar
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:12 pm
Reputation: 20
Cambodia

Re: White girls speak khmer

Post by pissontheroof » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:12 pm

If only it would be like counting by 10’s from 30 to 90 ! Thai all the way . And another reason I can’t pick it up here is that my ears aaint that good no more and the writing is so foreign, compare to thai except the numbers
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Comrade Elmo Felo
Tourist
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:06 pm
Reputation: 8

Re: White girls speak khmer

Post by Comrade Elmo Felo » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:18 pm

I know this girl and her father and stepmother. She's lived here pretty much all her life and goes to a Khmer school and only has Khmer friends. She was on one of the singing talent shows a few years back too. The older brother is the same too, in fact, I don't think they can speak German at all, just English as a 2nd language.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests