Slightly overloaded

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Slightly overloaded

Post by crob »

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Photos from a traffic stop in Banteay Meanchey province in today's news on social media:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

More rope to secure the load they say to him, plus you pay 10,000reil and on your way.
It makes me remember when I moved from Koh Kong to Phnom Penh. I rented a mini-bus, and everything fit neatly inside, but leaving Koh Kong at the police road block the driver of the bus was still charged 10,000reil.
I am wondering on what to do if I move again, and the best way to do it.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:27 pm when I moved from Koh Kong to Phnom Penh. I rented a mini-bus, and everything fit neatly inside, but leaving Koh Kong at the police road block the driver of the bus was still charged 10,000reil.
I am wondering on what to do if I move again, and the best way to do it.
So the 10.000 riel charge is why you would wonder about an alternative way to do it ?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

No! Not at all, because the 10,000reil charge is mandatory. I was wondering more about the transport and of the load.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

The stupidity of locals amazes me.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Lost50 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:10 pm The stupidity of locals amazes me.
Thanks...not.. for the glib, generalised disparaging comment about khmers. You realise don't you that life ain't that easy for locals here and that there's a practical reason behind overloading.. Do you think it's a good idea for an expat forum to disparage khmers such as you have while we're guests here? Time to take your western hat off methinks.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:24 pm
Thanks...not.. for the glib, generalised disparaging comment about khmers. You realise don't you that life ain't that easy for locals here and that there's a practical reason behind overloading.. Do you think it's a good idea for an expat forum to disparage khmers such as you have while we're guests here? Time to take your western hat off methinks.
I’m afraid he* doesn’t. He cannot mentally put himself in someone else’s shoes.

There is stupidity. Plenty of it. But often it’s easiest to attribute it to the wrong situation, otherwise there’s be excessive thinking required.

*I say he, because I’m feeling charitable.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:47 pm For some reason the police stopped this driver yesterday morning.
5 January 2018
POIPET - Ron Roen, male, 23 years old, resident of O'Chrov Village, O Chrov Commune, Poipet City, Banteay Meanchey Province, had no driving license, no business books, and has been fined for transporting excess luggage. The load was 4 metres high and 10 metres long.
Surprisingly, there was nobody sleeping on the top.
"Mattress delivery for Wilma Rubble"
"Yes. That's mine, the one on the bottom..."
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Clutch Cargo wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:24 pm
Yes, perhaps unfair to generalise but it us undoubtedly stupid & I am sure many locals would agree. Putting others at risk is neither wise nor considerate.

Life ain't easy? Yes, very true but loading like that is just to save money & no doubt whoever is behind it has far more than many many others.

Guests? That term is so readily used & inaccurate, guests are invited, I'd bet nobody in this forum was invited. 'Visitors', sure a far more apt term.

Western hat, no, if it was anywhere I'd still say its stupid.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic