Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Post by John Bingham »

David Fletcher and his partner Shane were into setting up brothels here from the word go. The pair of them arrived here in about 2006-7, I think from Pattaya going by the stupid way they talked to locals. They had this sort of pitch that resembled a family album crossed with a mood board (pictures of cocktails and Humphrey Bogart and Art Deco interiors, airbrushed tropical landscapes, airbrushed hookers etc) and a lot of text about their "mission".
It was going to be really sophisticated, you would be picked up at the airport in a fancy car (maybe they meant the clapped-out Range Rover Classic they had?) by the hostess who would take care of your every need, in the most amazing 5-star environment imaginable. The bar/ guesthouse? they set up was actually well-kitted out, but it was in a tiny 2 story shophouse. The owner David was a right cunt though, I only went in a few times and he was always making sleazy comments. Did I mention that he used to wear eye-shadow and a school-tie tied around his forehead? His mate Shane didn't seem too bad but they backed each other up when they thought they were tough guys and tossed a few people out of their bar. They never threw me out, they just ripped me off for services rendered and I never returned. I didn't really bother with them after that, I'm not vindictive. Unfortunately for them some other disgruntled creditors were.
Slashing the tuk-tuk driver's seat was a dick move too. And that was before it really went downhill. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Bunny Bar on Street 104 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia Raided by Police for Prostitution & Underage Staff

Post by frizzie77 »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:50 pm Unfortunately for them some other disgruntled creditors were.
I'd say it was not 'unfortunate' but 'well deserved'.
To be honest, I was quite surprised reading Shane was apparently still 'in business', managing this Bunny Bar.
icetiger81
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by icetiger81 »

Did they just forget to pay their monthly "protection fees" to the local cops or something?
YeP
Expatriate
Australia

Post by YeP »

Any update on what happened to John and Shane?
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

I find this entire thread to be fascinating.
I am curious about the posters who are so vehement about protecting these children and their stance on abortion.
Do you feel that a female killing her unborn child is as bad as Pieman or is she just making a choice?
Are the medical personel as evil as this shane piece of shit and his cohorts?
I sense that abortion is perfectly acceptable under your definition of a civilized society. But, knowing a bar has underage girls working there and not calling the cops is criminal.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

What on earth are you straw man arguing about now? In simple terms having an abortion in Cambodia is legal up to 12 weeks, it is a progressive country like that, running a bar with underage girls providing sexual services is not legal and in any normal person eyes unacceptable.

If you want to get all moralistic about a woman's right to choose what happens to her own body and her own sexual reproductive health, perhaps you should stay in whichever backwards state you currently reside in.

The fact that you've chosen this as what's upset you here, young women from poor backgrounds potentially being exploited in a bar says a lot about you and your moral compass.
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

its reopen as well the original owner only in Cambodia that lovely country.
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

What happened to Shane?
PIEMAN
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by PIEMAN »

Terry Fishsauce wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:05 am What happened to Shane?
hopefully rotting in prey sar,ok running under age girls in khmer owned bars but a no no in barang bars.
Meat pie Sausage Roll come on Rovers score a goal.
https://www.facebook.com/Pieman-Phnom-P ... 711967235/
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

PIEMAN wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:06 am
Terry Fishsauce wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:05 am What happened to Shane?
hopefully rotting in prey sar,ok running under age girls in khmer owned bars but a no no in barang bars.
huh?
excuse my prudishness
but i say it's very not ok in either

but were they actually charged, or did the under-age evidence evaporate on closer inspection?

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic