The word ពរ

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
MikeD
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: The word ពរ

Post by MikeD »

This is terrible Khmer grammar usage. The sentence simply means the mother cannot carry the object [most likely the grand child]. Another word should be added to mean "bless/wish".
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

MikeD wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:12 am This is terrible Khmer grammar usage. The sentence simply means the mother cannot carry the object [most likely the grand child]. Another word should be added to mean "bless/wish".
Is it not possible that the translation of that word sucks because of a faulty/incomplete dictionary. While some dictionaries are better than others, It seems to me most avoid informal peasant speech in varying degrees.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
MikeD
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by MikeD »

The dictionary translation should be pretty good, depending on the context. People are using bad grammar.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"People are using bad grammar."

Languages can change drastically over an extended period of time. Think of the dialectical English Jamie brings to our attention on this forum-i.e. the English spoken in his part of nothern England. Dictionaries are frequently graveyards where authors and editors dictate how we should speak. I am very suspicious of all scholastic efforts to freeze meanings when language is in a slow flux and old words acquire new meanings and neologisms are acquired.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

If you read the entire story, it should make sense. It is a children's story.

https://reader.letsreadasia.org/read/44 ... 0843956224

Here is a loose translation of part of it.

It is called, 'Too big, Too small.'

1. Mother said: It is not possible to carry you. You are too big.

2. Father said: You cant go to school alone. You are too small.

3. You cant sleep in the baby's cot. You are too big.

4. You cant carry your sister to the park. You are too small.

5. Why is he too big and too small at the same time.

6. She is too big to wear her pink dress, she has grown out of, and too small to bake a cake.

There is more to it. It makes sense if you look at the entire story.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic