Cambodian refugee now secret service officer.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Cambodian refugee now secret service officer.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

By Yitzi Weiner
September 2, 2019

In some of the refugee camps, there had been English lessons, but you had to pay for them. We didn’t have any money, so I hid outside the classroom at the refugee camp and listened through the window...

I grew up in a very poor family in Battambang City, in the northwest part of Cambodia. My mother was a seamstress and my father was a soldier in the Cambodia army until the Khmer rouge took over the country on April 17, 1975, when I was nine years old. They killed my father, his older brother, and a few other family members and friends.

There was always gun fighting, day and night. The last gun fight we were near lasted about three days and three nights. My mother and I couldn’t move or raise our heads above the ground. On the fourth day, when the fighting stopped, a refugee relief organization picked us up and moved us to the very first refugee camp for Cambodians in Thailand, called Khao-I-Dang. When it got crowded they moved us deeper into Thailand to another camp.

I have a younger sister who stayed in Cambodia. We separated in 1979. She stayed with my grandmother while my mother and my older sister and I crossed the border on foot trying to make money to support my family. When we were taken to the first camp, we couldn’t go back. We lost touch with her for many years, but we reconnected and I’ve visited with her when I returned to Cambodia on trips in 2012 and 2015.

I told my mother that If I am going to live in this country, I have to learn how to speak English, and I did. While working many, many low-wage jobs, I studied hard. I eventually graduated from high school in Maryland. I attended community colleges and ultimately graduated from Widener University, near Philadelphia, in my early thirties.

Full https://thriveglobal.com/stories/i-am-l ... ya-weiner/
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodian refugee now secret service officer.

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

"America is the land of opportunity. I love this country. The U.S. has always been the world’s melting pot, and I feel very fortunate to live here and contribute. I also think it is good that there are more women in power in America, and that will continue to make us a strong nation."

I take it he means he is proud to pay his fair share of taxes and respects people of other ethnicities. These are the kind of people America needs, not the ones that complain about how high their taxes are and that someone else speaks Spanish. He serves his country, he became a real American. Good for him, much respect
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic