No fee Mastercard ATM in Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: No fee Mastercard ATM

Post by Clutch Cargo »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:22 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:54 pm MB Bank (Military Bank of Vietnam) is still free for Mastercard, AFAIK.

EDIT: the ATM at Mekong River Restaurant just spat out both my MCs with no reason given so perhaps you are right. Or else it's out of order yet again. I made a successful withdrawal on 19 July so if they have dropped Mastercard it must have been pretty recently. I'll try one of their ATMs at the branch on Monivong sometime.

Apart from that, the next cheapest ATM I have used was $4 - trying to remember which one it was.
MB Bank moved their office in Monivong to a new place in Norodom 2 weeks ago. Soon after they moved they had signs up on the ATMs on Monivong and also the Mekong River one saying 'Out of order' or such like and their new address included. Now I don't know whether this is temporary or not. I'm guessing the Mekong one will stay but maybe the Monivong ones won't.

Now the address is #146 Norodom but on google maps it shows the wrong location. Their website wasn't helpful. Then I looked up their FB (post of 9 August) and they had a mud map there.

I've been there a couple of times and withdrawn money...only issue, there's only 1 ATM outside it seems!
An update on the above. I went to extract some $$ from the MB bank ATM on Norodom today. Machine says 'out of money'. Security guard beckons me inside thinking there may be another ATM in the office. Couldn't see any but staff suggested I use another ATM along Preah Sihanouk blvd between Independence monument and Java Cafe...go there and screen not even lit up. So then I decide to see if the 3 on Monivong are now working. Get there and low and behold the office is open again! ..despite them saying they had moved to Norodom and saying so on their Facebook page. And they still have a notice as such on the glass door entry to the ATMs. Anyway, I try all 3 ATMs and they all say 'out of money'...despite me trying smaller withdrawal amounts.

Good news: it looks like the Monivong ATMS and Branch are back again.
Bad news: MB bank ATMs are still often unreliable..out of money or down.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: No fee Mastercard ATM

Post by timmydownawell »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:01 pm Good news: it looks like the Monivong ATMS and Branch are back again.
Bad news: MB bank ATMs are still often unreliable..out of money or down.
The only good news that would matter is if you successfully get cash using a Mastercard at this point. Seems unlikely given the giant Visa stickers at Monivong.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
krama24
Tourist
United States of America

Re: No fee Mastercard ATM in Cambodia?

Post by krama24 »

If you open a Charles Schwab checking account, they reimburse you for ATM fees while traveling.

I haven't paid a dime in ATM fees.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

I don’t know for Mastercard, but the MB bank ATM on Norodom has no withdraw fee with an international Visa card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:32 pm I don’t know for Mastercard, but the MB bank ATM on Norodom has no withdraw fee with an international Visa card
As already mentioned MB switched from Mastercard to Visa a while ago.

I had to use an ABA ATM the other day to withdraw $500 using my MC, the receipt said $506 including the fee, but my Citibank account in AU stated the USD amount (before conversion to AUD) as $500. Can't really tell at that amount whether I actually paid the $6 fee or not lol. Need to withdraw a small amount like $50 to see whether Citi even passes the fee on. After all the effort I made to find a free ATM it would be pretty funny to find out they don't :facepalm:
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:37 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:32 pm I don’t know for Mastercard, but the MB bank ATM on Norodom has no withdraw fee with an international Visa card
As already mentioned MB switched from Mastercard to Visa a while ago.

I had to use an ABA ATM the other day to withdraw $500 using my MC, the receipt said $506 including the fee, but my Citibank account in AU stated the USD amount (before conversion to AUD) as $500. Can't really tell at that amount whether I actually paid the $6 fee or not lol. Need to withdraw a small amount like $50 to see whether Citi even passes the fee on. After all the effort I made to find a free ATM it would be pretty funny to find out they don't :facepalm:
Wouldn't it be great if ABA didn't charge a fee :dm:

I suspect the fee may be buried in the exchange rate..looks like you might be able to work it out from this calculator that allows you to put historical dates https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consume ... rency.html

The other possibility (tho I doubt it) is that a separate $6 transaction will appear after on your Citibank account.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Wouldn't it be great if ABA didn't charge a fee

ABA charges exorbitant fee ( $9 ) to withdraw $ 1000 . !!
Last i used UCB BANK , only $4 for 1000 last time i lived in sihanoukville / they don’t even deal with reil / but there is no branch anywhere but Pp or Shv , and I don’t live there
Any other bank don’t even have an option to withdraw $1000 internationally that i know of , is there any ?
Canadia used to do $800 max in the good old days , but now down to just $500 _.
I withdraw ($1000 ) 3 x $9 a month at ABA ( plus the $5 each time my U.S. bank charges ) so $42 / month 🏧 ATM fees
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

pissontheroof wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:46 am Wouldn't it be great if ABA didn't charge a fee

Last i used UCB BANK , only $4 for 1000 last time i lived in sihanoukville / they don’t even deal with reil / but there is no branch anywhere but Pp or Shv , and I don’t live there
Any other bank don’t even have an option to withdraw $1000 internationally that i know of , is there any ?
I withdraw ($1000 ) 3 x $9 a month at ABA ( plus the $5 each time my U.S. bank charges ) so $42 / month 🏧 ATM fees
I cant understand why anyone living in Cambodia would use atm's with foreign cards if they charge you that amount?
my plans call for dong a citibank wire at $25/wire every 6 months to a local bank and than use their free atm ..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:29 am
pissontheroof wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:46 am Wouldn't it be great if ABA didn't charge a fee

I cant understand why anyone living in Cambodia would use atm's with foreign cards if they charge you that amount?
my plans call for dong a citibank wire at $25/wire every 6 months to a local bank and than use their free atm ..

For 1 thing , my passport name ( born name , so bank account name ) -
and my Retirement income name ( changed my name ) are not the same and it felt like a headache
It’s still all my money but when i looked into a wire transfer before it seemed more expensive
My military pension goes into bank of america , i withdraw $1000 at the ABA.
and then cash it in to the ‘ cash in ‘ machine @ ABA for small bills or reil /
Would it be possible to do wire from me to me if the account first names don’t match ?
Willing to try but afraid of dying here with too much money in the cambodian bank would all be lost
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

dont know about ur US bank but my US citibank account, i can wire to whomever, whatever bank i wish
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic