Revisiting The Kingdom

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Stoney
Tourist
Great Britain

Revisiting The Kingdom

Post by Stoney »

Hi All

I'm returning to the Kingdom in November. I was last there three years ago and now I have semi-retired I am visiting to see if it's a place I want to spend a lot more of my team (6 months plus a year).

I shall be in PP from 06 November and would appreciate any recommendations re accommodation not to far away from the Riverside for the first few days until I get sorted.

Many thanks all and please play nicely haha..

Stoney
Who ate all the pies.......?
Stoney
Tourist
Great Britain

Re: Revisiting The Kingdom

Post by Stoney »

Oops... sorry about the typo; team should read time..!
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Its simple rooms ($20), but I always like the Pickled Parrot for a couple days when I have to go to PP. (ask for rooms in the back as the front ones get kind of noise at night. 101,102,201,202) Walk out the door, take a left and your in Rose's Bar. Mexican and Lebanese restaurants just around the corner. Quiet aircon bar with decent food. They can also line you up with a taxi if your going out of town say to Sihanoukville or other. For a 6 month stay you might want to have a look at Sihanoukville. (less air pollution, more beach's/water)

The Sundance on 174 is nice also and has a small pool. I use this one as my dentist is closer and the Chat n' Chew across the street has good food.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i stay at the Hometown hotel on street 172, $15 for an air con room, get a room on 1st or 2nd floor facing the back, (Nice big windows)
One block to riverside
Bigger rooms than Pickled parrot and wider stairs ( room 305 has a view of the river)

Blue Dolphin across the street for fantastic food and a good $5 pizza, Lonestar down around the corner for American food and US football!!

Pickled parrot has great food but u need walk thru the rest with ur "friend
i 2nd the Lebanese rest!! :thumb:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Stoney
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Stoney »

Thanks to Sailorman and PhuketRichard
NightWalker
Tourist

Post by NightWalker »

My only issue when I visit Cambodia is that everything seems cheaper because I'm spending US $. And in the end I end up spending a lot more than I intended to.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

NightWalker wrote:My only issue when I visit Cambodia is that everything seems cheaper because I'm spending US $. And in the end I end up spending a lot more than I intended to.
Yep. Double edged sword. So cheap, I end up spending waaaaay more than i should have, LoL.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

If i'm staying for an extended period, I always try to get a place with a monthly rate. You can save quite a bit of money on the cost of accommodation that way, and gives you plenty of time to casually find a nicer place for longer term.
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

I have lived since Dec 2016 and I had rented an apartment 5 minutes away from the Sorya Mall. That was for about 420 a month and utilites would be about 100. I am guessing i got fleeced from that one but it was comfortable. Then I let my girlfriend find an apartment and we found one at st 110 which was 300 a month including utilities, internet, and trash pick up. I stayed there until I was hired to work in China..( I really love China) sadly the job did not work out and I had to come back and I stayed at that place for a month. Then me and my girlfriend had a fight and i went to Thailand for a month. I stayed in Udon Thani the majority of the time. After 30 days I returned to Cambodia and I have been staying in guesthouses for about a month. My guesthouse costs 7USd a night and my girlfriend likes it. It is fine for me except I do not have a washing machine or a kitchen. I prefer to cook my own food rather then go to restaurants. I miss having Pizzas with white sauce, Lasagna made with homemade noodles, filled with a ragu, and topped with a bechamel, eggs benedict, pasta topped with poulette sauce( I love Veloute sauces on pasta). I also miss eating homemade baked bread, popovers, Boston creme pies, homemade toffee, and the Turkish coffee ice cream I make. I really miss drinking my homemade ginger ale. If i can find them I will make New England Chowder and stuffed clams. When my lady is over she likes empanadas de Pino, calzone, and coxinha. She does not seem to like Ceviche, Adabong manok, pansit,Leche flan, creme brulee, biscottis, bagels, Pad thai, Causa Rollena, Falafel, hummus, Tahini, cream soups and peanut butter. If I could find pectin I would be making jams and jellies.I learned many of the previous dishes when I was in Brazil, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, and the Philippines. I like to learn how to cook their national dishes. I am not really planning to stay long in Cambodia this time. I was recently hired to work in China and i plan to return to China to work. I like Cambodia and think learning Khmer is fun but I get paid better in China and Chinese is a more valuable language. Plus My goal when I finished my BA was to teach in China for 1 year and then teach in Russia until I was able to acquire Russian citizenship which is about 10 years. Then I can finally make that dream about waking up and realizing I am a Russian. I already learned one of the most valuable Russian phrases. Ya Khochu Vodka or I want Vodka.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Have you booked your ticket to China yet ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic