12 good men?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

12 good men?

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

12 good men and/or women
0r the herd?

Do we really believe in the traditional concepts of western justice.
Like innocent until proven guilty.

Or are there some circumstances when people deserve to be hung, drawn and quartered in the public square.? Their future forever damaged by the irrevocable Google history book.
Sure, we have always talked amongst ourselves about various "persons of interest", but in the age of FB and Google our opinions, rumours, abuse and speculation are shared with the world.

Where do we draw the line ?
At the 70 year old caught in Panama with a 7 year old girl? (i think, Yes - if enough prima facie evidence)
Does it extend, for example, to two hapless fools who get drunk, pick fights and don't construct their grammar correctly when arguing on a public forum?
And to other similar misnomers that many of us have us committed in our foolish days. (i think, No)

Personally (only!), i hate some of the "stacks on the mill" mob justice we see on public forums. Taking a look at CEO's "longest running thread", for example, turned my stomach. I call some of that to be nothing more bullying.
general-chatter/attractive-stylish-whit ... it=stylish

I have seen street justice turn really ugly and it is a horrible thing to watch. People loosing all "civilised" concepts and reverting to their base, primitive instincts. I sometimes see the same dynamic on the internet.

I am going to post this under the Asinine topics, but maybe we could have a considered discussion...
??
k*rm*geddon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: 12 good men?

Post by k*rm*geddon »

I'm a little puzzled.

Are you referring to the herd acceptance of the non-stop 'Putin's Poodle' allegation?
To the herd acceptance that President Triumph and his 'Deplorables' are racist, homophobic, Islamophobic, xenophobic, misogynist Nazi bigots?
To the 'I Believe Survivors' herd acceptance of rape accusations against Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh?
... all endorsed and affirmed on this forum without any credible evidence and most certainly without any 'Innocent until Proven Guilty' process.

Or it just a reference to our beloved Pieman?
MY 99 CENT KINDLE: ... 1974 TRAVEL IN THAILAND, CAMBODIA AND SOUTH VIETNAM : http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXPLAINING-CAMB ... B00L0LC8TO
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

People make judgements based on guesses, often with very little evidence. They believe one story is true, and another story is not. One person is guilty, and another person is not. Then the person they have guessed to be guilty, should have something really bad happen to them.

An intelligent person thinks, this story is likely to be true, but I would like to see more evidence before deciding for sure. Another story may not be true, but I would like to see more evidence before deciding for sure.

Another problem is the discussion goes into the gutter. Someone asks a serious question, and others just make fun of them, making intelligent discussion difficult.

Some people feel inferior in real life, and think putting others down makes them superior. They think they become big men on the forum, but they really just display how stupid they are.

Then the discussion becomes so ridiculous, that decent people dont want to be involved, and leave. The real challenge is getting more decent people involved, when the discussion in the gutter drives them away.

If someone wants a challenge, count up what percentage of posts are not serious. Posts that are just making a joke of the discussion, and posts that are putting others down.

Then ask yourself, what can be done to create a more intelligent discussion, so that more decent people want to be involved.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the rule of law is the only thing that separates a republic from tyrannical democracy
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

There has to be some form of due process or inquiry from which to gain truth as flawed as that process might sometimes be. Everyone deserves or is entitled to defend or explain themselves as things are not always as they seem.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:56 am 12 good men and/or women
0r the herd?

Do we really believe in the traditional concepts of western justice.
Like innocent until proven guilty.

Or are there some circumstances when people deserve to be hung, drawn and quartered in the public square.? Their future forever damaged by the irrevocable Google history book.
Sure, we have always talked amongst ourselves about various "persons of interest", but in the age of FB and Google our opinions, rumours, abuse and speculation are shared with the world.

Where do we draw the line ?
At the 70 year old caught in Panama with a 7 year old girl? (i think, Yes - if enough prima facie evidence)
Does it extend, for example, to two hapless fools who get drunk, pick fights and don't construct their grammar correctly when arguing on a public forum?
And to other similar misnomers that many of us have us committed in our foolish days. (i think, No)

Personally (only!), i hate some of the "stacks on the mill" mob justice we see on public forums. Taking a look at CEO's "longest running thread", for example, turned my stomach. I call some of that to be nothing more bullying.
general-chatter/attractive-stylish-whit ... it=stylish

I have seen street justice turn really ugly and it is a horrible thing to watch. People loosing all "civilised" concepts and reverting to their base, primitive instincts. I sometimes see the same dynamic on the internet.

I am going to post this under the Asinine topics, but maybe we could have a considered discussion...
??
" Taking a look at CEO's "longest running thread", for example, turned my stomach."
I agree, the thread in question was closed down and then re-opened so the bullying could continue, PN did a wonderful job in bumping it as soon as it fell down the page, amongst others that I cannot name as I could upset someone and get banned.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic