India vs Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: India vs Cambodia

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I am a SEA man deep deep inside. Not many things i like in India, and many things i can't stand.
But it is the most interesting country in the world, (imo)
That is enough reason to go, and go again, and go...

PS, Sri Lanka is much more pleasant.
A bit like an easy going, island style, India.
Both have great wildlife.
SL has wildlife sanctuaries that have been continuous for 1900 years.
India is surprisingly rich, in places.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

It is going to depend in part on your nationality and ethnicity. Bangladesh is no the safest of places for white christian visitors. Some parts of India could also be dangerous at the moment due to water shortgaes and /or violence (Kashmir may cause backlashes among Muslim/Hindu communities anywhere, or pakistan might start throwing nukes around). Sri Lanka equally is not the most stable of places at the moment. There is a lot of differecne between mani and deadly
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Has anybody been to the Sundarbans?
1/3 in India, 2/3 Bangladesh.
The worlds biggest populations of mangrove forest, Irrawaddy dolphins (8000), Masked Finfoot (an odd bird), and man eating tigers..
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Go there in this order of priority

Sri Lanka
Nepal (I’ve not been back since the major earthquakes.)
India
Bangladesh

India was interesting, and in many ways overwhelming, for the little that I saw of it; mainly Delhi, and Lucknow. I’m likely to go back if the opportunity presents.

Bangladesh is a ‘smaller’ version of India as you’d expect. It has the all the same drawbacks of its former sibling, and in many ways Is indistinguishable, culturally.

Both are a seething mass of humanity, much often compressed into areas and situations by an overwhelming poverty that is largely incomprehensible to most tourists.
The majority religion of Bangladesh just adds an extra layer of depravity.

I lived off and on for several years in Dhaka, due to a previous relationship. There are many stories by CEO members regarding the negative aspects of Cambodia. My personal experience of Bangladesh and dhaka makes Cambodia seem well adjusted in many ways.

Sri Lanka by contrast is much cleaner, both physically, and morally. It resembles in many ways it’s big neighbour, but somehow the people there maintain a greater level of self respect and dignity.
Likewise, Nepal.
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by MarkRobinson »

If you have got the balls go to India,it turely sorts the men from the boys.
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

India is a fantastic country and you could spend decades exploring the many diverse sites it has. The food is in general really good too. The men are a bit too friendly though, there is always some annoying guy trying to ask you stupid questions like "What is your service?' etc. I was traveling with women both times I went there but don't remember ever talking much to any women there, there is a very chauvinistic society similar to what you might expect in the middle east. South East Asia doesn't have that so much.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

India is one of the most Incredible countries in the world. It's extremely interesting and very beautiful in many parts.
I was there like 30 years ago. Hopefully it's still looking great.
The only issue was the lack of personal space and traveling hardships. Peeps can get annoying too from being too inquisitive and persistent.lol
But for sure Cambodia as interesting as it is seems almost boring in comparison those what I experienced those years ago.
Dog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Dog »

I've got a little bit of experience in India.
As others have mentioned the lack of respect for personal space can get old fast.
Outside of major conurbations I've found Indians to be quite pleasant. The Sikhs in Amritsar are pretty solid. Up north around Dharmshala, Manali way is quite nice and people seemed a little more respectful of others in terms of not bugging you constantly and not being overly loud in hotels etc.
But major cities can be a ball ache. Men coming up trying to be friendly but always the suspicion of an ulterior motive.
There are some nice parts of Delhi but also some absolute shitholes with people lying in their own faeces in the gutter. That is something that you don't really see in Cambodia as generally someone would come with water or food to help.
So yeah it's interesting but can be upsetting if you are a bit soft hearted
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

xandreu wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:57 am

(Strange how Google doesn't recognise the adjective of manic, no matter how I try to spell it)

Ok not wanting to sound like a grammar nazi but......manic is the adjective , manically is the adverb, mania is the noun, which is the word you are looking for instead of manicness. Dont mention it, my pleasure.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic