ATM USD or local currency

This is a part of our Cambodia forums to chat about anything Cambodia-related. This discussion forum is at the top of our site because it's usually the busiest part of the expat community chatter with random topics on just about everything, including expat life, Khmer politics, Cambodian blogs we have or have come across, or whatever else our members want to discuss. Whether you're an expatriate, tourist, Cambodian or random traveler just passing through South East Asia, you are welcome to talk about anything or start new topics yourselves.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: ATM USD or local currency

Post by Kammekor » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:57 am

kate.burns wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:04 am
Thank you. To clarify, I am a frequent visitor to Cambodia - spend about three months a year here working with some NGOs and this has never happened to me before. I’ve come across a lot of scams but not this one before.

The jewellery shop in question is run by one of the NGOs for disabled people and the manager is a personal friend. It was only later when she realised it had the word ‘COPY’ on it that she contacted me.

I am in touch with my Australian bank and they are following it up. My only purpose in posting this is to warn others.
My warning: be careful when spending 100 USD notes. If you pay with a single one, point out the last numbers of the serial number to the seller / cashier, so a switch becomes impossible. If you spend a large sum, let them check every note, and do so by yourself. if you receive money, do the same. Preferable get paid by bank transfer rather than cash.

When you withdraw money, briefly perform some checks on the notes received. The 'COPY' ones are extremely easy to distinguish.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:32 pm

frank lee bent wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:47 am
A new security feature on the $100 notes allows you to slide a paperclip under the ribbon:
Yes, or a toothpick works well. Be careful you don't tear it or you'll have a different problem.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:47 pm

Any torn or defaced notes can be changed at Ly Hour. usually fee is about 105 depending on size and condition. i got $90 at their head office but was only offered $75 at the office nearest me. google location is 11.563003,104.913297 around 290 charles degaule boulevard (st217) one blog north of olympic styadium east side
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:39 pm

Just recently I was about to hand over a few 100 dollar notes and I asked my 17 year old for a pen so I could write the numbers down, like I always have done for many years.

She spreads the notes out, grabs my phone and takes a pic, saying do like this. I'm never too old to learn from a smart-ass, so that's how I will do it from now on.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic