ATM USD or local currency (Cambodian Riel)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: ATM USD or local currency

Post by Kammekor »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:12 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:07 pm
jonathan.waller wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:01 am I pulled out 100usd from Vattanc bank atm in Phnom Penh, I can confirm it's a fake note. I didn't notice until 2 days later when I tried to spend it. :(

Is there any recourse?

I told the tuk Tuk driver from the hotel and he told me the manager there is known to be a bit crazy. Who knows. But its a fact. Fake 100 usd bills from the atm

I would live to know how to complain. I was told the police are a waste of time here...?

First time here visiting from Bangkok.
Sorry you had that experience and also that some posters on this forum chose to be mean to you rather than answer your question.
Yes, it is not worth your while going to the Police (to be fair that would be the case in any country two days after the withdrawal).
You do need to be more on your guard against theft here than you would in Bangkok. However, less need to be on your guard against local con merchants!
Report this to the tourist police and claim on ur insurance.
Did you get atm reciept? Bank should have video proof of transection. Surely you went directly to complain?
No bank or insurance will exchange the fakes
Just like I won't go to a shop claiming I paid with fakes hours after the deal to exchange their fakes and pay again. No matter how trustworthy the shop owner. Out of sight means not my responsibility anymore.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Fake 'COPY' $100 bills from ATM

Post by armchairlawyer »

kate.burns wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:59 pm Same thing happened to me on Thursday using Vattanac ATM at Lucky Supermarket on Shanouk Boulevard. I didn't realise it until the trusted person I had bought some jewellery from on Fiday contacted me last night to say they were fake - had the word 'COPY' written on them. My purse was always with me and it was the only cash I had at the time so definitely no issue about them being switched.
I'll try making a fuss with the bank but I doubt I'll get anywhere. Last time I use an ATM here - I'll go into the bank next time.
There seems to be a Vattanac/supermarket theme.
Sorry you had this experience. As you will have gathered, after reading your post, some of us feel you might want to make a fuss with the jewelry seller rather than the bank.
You will have seen that the other Vattanac case is also dubious so it may not be a good idea to make allegations against Vattanac. Another bank recently got quite assertive when someone made similar allegations against them.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:15 pm
Just like I won't go to a shop claiming I paid with fakes hours after the deal to exchange their fakes and pay again. No matter how trustworthy the shop owner. Out of sight means not my responsibility anymore.
You are right in theory but (this being Cambodia) it doesn't always work that way.
I once stayed at a good hotel in Koh Kong. I withdrew $150 (then the daily maximum) from Canadia Bank and used the $100 bill to pay my hotel.
I collected my bags from my room and got into a tuktuk to go to the border, whereupon the hotel cashier came out and said the note was torn. I said it's too late to raise that now and it was an unlikely story because I had never received a torn note from a Canadia ATM, but the tukruk driver refused to move. Eventually the hotel owner came. I told him I had no way of getting more cash that day. He could see the note was genuine (just torn). I suspected the cashier had previously accepted the note from another customer and had switched that one for mine. I didn't make that allegation but I let him know there was a time gap between the note being accepted and the issue being raised. In the end he said he would send the note to a moneychanger and if it was changed then he would be happy. His minion duly returned five minutes later with $98 in small bills. As the tuktuk drove off I could hear the owner's mother giving him hell for not getting $2 off me.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:33 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:15 pm
You are right in theory but (this being Cambodia) it doesn't always work that way.
I once stayed at a good hotel in Koh Kong. I withdrew $150 (then the daily maximum) from Canadia Bank and used the $100 bill to pay my hotel.
I collected my bags from my room and got into a tuktuk to go to the border, whereupon the hotel cashier came out and said the note was torn. I said it's too late to raise that now and it was an unlikely story because I had never received a torn note from a Canadia ATM, but the tukruk driver refused to move. Eventually the hotel owner came. I told him I had no way of getting more cash that day. He could see the note was genuine (just torn). I suspected the cashier had previously accepted the note from another customer and had switched that one for mine. I didn't make that allegation but I let him know there was a time gap between the note being accepted and the issue being raised. In the end he said he would send the note to a moneychanger and if it was changed then he would be happy. His minion duly returned five minutes later with $98 in small bills. As the tuktuk drove off I could hear the owner's mother giving him hell for not getting $2 off me.
I once bought a 1$ phone card in the Ban Lung market with a dirty bill. The seller complained with my wife the next time, and later with me. I exchanged it.

To me dirty or new makes no difference, both are valid money, but to them it does.

But a copied toys bill of 100$, or even several, is another story. No way I would acknowledge a claim for copied bills the next day, he’ll, not even if I turned my back a few seconds.

For the rest, what Richard says. Every USD note worth more than a few cents is usually inspected in front of you, so I am convinced the seller is at fault here, not the bank.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Kammekor wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:22 pm But a copied toys bill of 100$, or even several, is another story. No way I would acknowledge a claim for copied bills the next day, he’ll, not even if I turned my back a few seconds.

For the rest, what Richard says. Every USD note worth more than a few cents is usually inspected in front of you, so I am convinced the seller is at fault here, not the bank.
Yes, you are right but in my case the tuktuk driver would not move and I had bags. Luckily it was only about a torn bill.
On occasions, example when depositing money at a Wing, I have taken the precaution of taking a photo of the hundreds on the counter just before handing them over. Because if they did do a quick switch and handed duds beck to you, what could you do?
AUDD
Tourist
Cambodia

Re: Fake 'COPY' $100 bills from ATM

Post by AUDD »

kate.burns wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:59 pm Same thing happened to me on Thursday using Vattanac ATM at Lucky Supermarket on Shanouk Boulevard. I didn't realise it until the trusted person I had bought some jewellery from on Fiday contacted me last night to say they were fake - had the word 'COPY' written on them. My purse was always with me and it was the only cash I had at the time so definitely no issue about them being switched.
I'll try making a fuss with the bank but I doubt I'll get anywhere. Last time I use an ATM here - I'll go into the bank next time.
There seems to be a Vattanac/supermarket theme.

The jewellery store did not look at your notes and count when you paid until the next day?

The notes with copy only on it feel nothing like an original.

I think your trusted friend is not so trustworthy if this story is true
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:07 pm
jonathan.waller wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:01 am I pulled out 100usd from Vattanc bank atm in Phnom Penh, I can confirm it's a fake note. I didn't notice until 2 days later when I tried to spend it. :(

Is there any recourse?

I told the tuk Tuk driver from the hotel and he told me the manager there is known to be a bit crazy. Who knows. But its a fact. Fake 100 usd bills from the atm

I would live to know how to complain. I was told the police are a waste of time here...?

First time here visiting from Bangkok.
Sorry you had that experience and also that some posters on this forum chose to be mean to you rather than answer your question.
Yes, it is not worth your while going to the Police (to be fair that would be the case in any country two days after the withdrawal).
You do need to be more on your guard against theft here than you would in Bangkok. However, less need to be on your guard against local con merchants!
And, as I said to the other victim of fake notes, I would be think carefully before you make allegations against Vattanac Bank. Your comment about the hotel manager seems to suggest you think he may be the culprit.
kate.burns
Tourist

Post by kate.burns »

Thank you. To clarify, I am a frequent visitor to Cambodia - spend about three months a year here working with some NGOs and this has never happened to me before. I’ve come across a lot of scams but not this one before.

The jewellery shop in question is run by one of the NGOs for disabled people and the manager is a personal friend. It was only later when she realised it had the word ‘COPY’ on it that she contacted me.

I am in touch with my Australian bank and they are following it up. My only purpose in posting this is to warn others.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:33 pm
Side note - at this branch of this bank ^^ I once had an ATM withdrawal debited twice from my account.
Canadia were apologetic and I got the money back two weeks later - but lucky i check my statements.
Only time that has happened to me, anywhere.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

A new security feature on the $100 notes allows you to slide a paperclip under the ribbon:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic