Cambodian Drivers License ?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Cambodian Drivers License ?

Post by General Mackevili »

$$
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

picooie wrote:Yes and the test in in Khmer text.
They have an English version.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

The way I see it is like this.

1. You use a moto to commute. Cops pull you over, you stop and present your license. They hold it ransom for $10, you get pissed off because you're being taken advantage of. You pay the $10 and you vow to never stop for cops again.

2. You use a car to commute, or a big bike. You still don't stop for cops (I waved to one as he tried to pull me over for literally no reason), but if something should happen (bike stolen, car crash that is serious, etc), you have a license and insurance (the only way you can get insurance), so even though you might get taken advantage of for those $10 here and there, you have a lot more protection on your side for the measly price of $53 (Lucky Lucky). That's $4 and change a month. Besides, it makes a good souvenir which is why I have a Cambo license despite being here for 10 days, lol.
-insert signature here
kennzo
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by kennzo »

....and here's another tip for you.
Get some plastic copies made of your license and registration cards at a local printers (very cheap).
A lot less hassle if you lose them, or your friendly Policeman won't give them back.
I tend to sleep in the nude. Which isn't a bad thing except for maybe on those long flights.

www.kenedgar.com
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

kennzo wrote:....and here's another tip for you.
Get some plastic copies made of your license and registration cards at a local printers (very cheap).
A lot less hassle if you lose them, or your friendly Policeman won't give them back.

That's a great tip === Thanks :thumb:

Can you suggest a printer who is good ?

I think getting a local license may be a good idea as I have bought a bike and am using World Nomads travel insurance.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

From the little I understand about current Cambodian law, and if correct, they require a driver's license for anyone driving a moto or motorized vehicle, even if 125cc or below.

A special license for motos over 125cc is needed.

Please feel free to correct/advise me if anything in this post is incorrect, unwise, or unnecessary.

My questions are:

1) Can a person buy a license for moto over 125cc? Price the same as 125cc and under?

2) What is the price for a 10-year license? Again, price for 10-year moto driver's license for over 125cc same price as 10-year license 125cc and under? I've looked at the www.mpwt.kh website but I've been told that there are additional fees to obtain a license that are not posted, and infact even the info on their website is wrong.

3) I've heard the written test, despite being available in English, is translated/worded very poorly and can make passing difficult. Confirm or deny?

4) It would seem only logical that if a person wanted a 10-year license for moto over 125cc, he would be required to take the road test on a bike over 125cc. But because this is the KOW, I have to ask.

Thanks in advance to all who can help clarify and advise.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

1. Yes you can via an agent such as Lucky Lucky, 1 year license. There is no license needed at all for <125cc
2. You also need to do the test to get that license which is a good half day of your life and a bunch of cheeky payments to get through the queue & test from what I've heard from those who did it.
3. Put a $10 note strategically on your desk & ask the instructor for "help" with one of the questions.. (again second hand knowledge)
4. Yes, and you're best to get hold of a Bajaj 135/150 or something similar that can actually make the turns which are virtually impossible on a Harley even at full lock; a decent drifter probably could pull it off, but not sure if that would disqualify you! (second hand, but saw a pic of the track & it looks fairly tight
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

Spigzy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:35 am 1. Yes you can via an agent such as Lucky Lucky, 1 year license. There is no license needed at all for <125cc
Even for barang?
If involved in a fender bender, no problem with police or other party for driving a 125cc moto w/o a license?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

The Judge wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:32 pm
Spigzy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:35 am 1. Yes you can via an agent such as Lucky Lucky, 1 year license. There is no license needed at all for <125cc
Even for barang?
If involved in a fender bender, no problem with police or other party for driving a 125cc moto w/o a license?
Yes, so long as your home country license has the right permission also. If you have a plastic UK license, you will even get away with blagging that you have a big bike license in the UK, even though the icon (looks like a big bike) if you read up on the DVLA it is actually for tricycles.. That said, I'd also suggest:

1. Don't ride on national roads at any time if you value your life
2. Don't ride in town after dark if you value your life
3. Don't ride like an asshole with a big/fast bike at any time

If you've never ridden a bike here before, get a 125cc first & learn the way people here ride; ignore whatever you've been taught at driving schools at home, "right of way" and all that stuff just doesn't apply, leave it at home and adapt, fast. I'm sure there are plenty of folks over the years involved in stupid accidents, not their fault in a normal country, who are now dead/severely disabled because they thought they were riding back home. I'd rather ride like a bit of a prat & blend in, than to spout about "right of way" from a wheelchair.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

If you hold a full UK license with the large motorcycle entitlement. You can then exchange that for a one year Cambodian license.
Also I think recently there's been a change to the law about the IDP International Driving Permit, I believe now it is excepted.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic