Border staff allegedly demand bribes

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Border staff allegedly demand bribes

Post by phuketrichard »

NO surprise,
merely Khmer's doing what they do the best
ripping off their own kind.
Some Cambodian migrant workers crossing the border from Thailand for the Khmer New Year holiday claimed they were forced to pay 40,000 riel ($10) to get priority in filling out application forms and having their passports stamped at the Poi Pet International Border Checkpoint in Banteay Meanchey province.

.....“But without it, it would take us two to three days to get through. There were many agents who offered the service,”
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... cXx8RLeeGU

Cambodia is also the only country i have come across that charges its citizens to PAY to leave by land , ( 100 baht/person)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Border staff allegedly demand bribes

Post by MarkRobinson »

Virtually the same thing happened to me earlier this year when I was returning to Cambodia from Thailand at the Koh Kong boarder crossing check- point.
As I approached the office ( after no problems departing Thailand ) a sleezy Cambodian civilian approached me & aggressively informed me that he could fill out the arrival form in English & I would quickly be on my way( only for $ 5 ) .I replied that I was proficient in English & would complete it myself as I have done numerous occasions previously.This upset him & he muttered something to his partner in crime /scam ( a uniformed Khmer immigration officer ) who then refused me entry to Cambodia, claiming that there was some mysterious " problem " with my valid N.Z passport.It was late afternoon /early evening ,I let the prick know that I would camp out in front of their office & set up camp.
After an hour of this black comedy a senior official sumed up the situation and things moved in my favor .The original prick became so delightfully helpful, even filling in the forms & ushered me pass the barriers. I vowed Never to forget that prick & mark him out for " future reference " 🔔 Enough said!
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Everytime we enter (Khmer gf and I) Cambodia, she needs pay 100 baht, regardless of which land border we use.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

MarkRobinson wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:21 pm Virtually the same thing happened to me earlier this year when I was returning to Cambodia from Thailand at the Koh Kong boarder crossing check- point.
As I approached the office ( after no problems departing Thailand ) a sleezy Cambodian civilian approached me & aggressively informed me that he could fill out the arrival form in English & I would quickly be on my way( only for $ 5 ) .I replied that I was proficient in English & would complete it myself as I have done numerous occasions previously.This upset him & he muttered something to his partner in crime /scam ( a uniformed Khmer immigration officer ) who then refused me entry to Cambodia, claiming that there was some mysterious " problem " with my valid N.Z passport.It was late afternoon /early evening ,I let the prick know that I would camp out in front of their office & set up camp.
After an hour of this black comedy a senior official sumed up the situation and things moved in my favor .The original prick became so delightfully helpful, even filling in the forms & ushered me pass the barriers. I vowed Never to forget that prick & mark him out for " future reference " 🔔 Enough said!
I last had a similar situation that didn't go my way, on refusing the service I was taken into the office where I could now only have my entry stamp for $8
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic