Going to Angkor for Pchum Benh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Going to Angkor for Pchum Benh

Post by taabarang »

"Bloody sad, miserable existence some of you have."

Don't get your hackles up in such self imposed superiority. Just like much of Khmer society that you have described, we manage to have to enjoy ourselves without acting like tourists. Money buys much, but personal flair.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

One thing to consider....it’s massive. You may want to get the 3 day pass for $62 and break up your visit into 2-3 half days. Locals I think are free? So that’s just your cost.

Your Khmer mates will be very proud I think when they see it.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:00 pm One thing to consider....it’s massive. You may want to get the 3 day pass for $62 and break up your visit into 2-3 half days. Locals I think are free? So that’s just your cost.

I think it's more likely I will take them on my regular tour (I've been to Angkor several times, I just love it!) for one day and then give them a tuk tuk for a couple of days to do their own thing. We will probably end up going to one of the more central wats to make offerings etc.

I've taken a few Khmers to Siem Reap to see the temples for the first time and it's just awesome. :)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

taabarang wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:49 am "Bloody sad, miserable existence some of you have."

Don't get your hackles up in such self imposed superiority. Just like much of Khmer society that you have described, we manage to have to enjoy ourselves without acting like tourists. Money buys much, but personal flair.
Taabarang can I politely request that you put me on ignore.
You bait me constantly and then act completely butt hurt when I run out of patience and retaliate.

I totally get it - you despise me, I represent something that disgusts you. I get that. You hate me.

And I don't care.

I am not living my life to satisfy you and I really don't need your constant picking at me.
Can you please just be an adult and ignore me?
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:17 am
pczz wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:11 am Will be crowded and expensive. Think Sr has taken over as the destination of choice for khmer and public holidays. For some reaon they dont seem to enjoy Sihanoukville as much as they used to :stir:
That's ok, I have plenty of money and I don't mind crowds.
My Khmer friends are coming from Phnom Penh and have never been to Angkor, so that will make it overly wonderful.

I just love the way someone posts advice on where to go and what to do - and the advice given is - it's too hot, too crowded and you won't be able to afford it.
Bloody sad, miserable existence some of you have.

I am taking some friends on an adventure and want to make it as awesome as possible.
Your original post asked for "any advice or suggestions" You were advised it would be crowded and expensive which i would suggest comes under the general heading of "any advice". The fault was in the question not the answers
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I’m so sorry I asked. How silly of me.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:28 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:00 pm One thing to consider....it’s massive. You may want to get the 3 day pass for $62 and break up your visit into 2-3 half days. Locals I think are free? So that’s just your cost.

I think it's more likely I will take them on my regular tour (I've been to Angkor several times, I just love it!) for one day and then give them a tuk tuk for a couple of days to do their own thing. We will probably end up going to one of the more central wats to make offerings etc.

I've taken a few Khmers to Siem Reap to see the temples for the first time and it's just awesome. :)
I think that is the most sensible thing to do, introducing your friends firstly by going to give offerings, then arranging possible more visiting days by themselves.
I agree with the above quote (Your Khmer mates will be very proud I think when they see it). What would be interesting to read is "what they see" and how they perceive the experience.
Why by themselves! In why I see this and not a stain on you good will. Firstly it lets them see what they want, and the pace they would want to view. Also stops any embarrassment's, such has many questions from other visitors about yourself. And mainly your acceptance to their religion, such as are you doing things correctly in the temple, all eyes will be on you, and actions will reflect upon your friends.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic