The British Pound; Are Investors Also Leaving ?

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The British Pound; Are Investors Also Leaving ?

Post by Doc67 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:35 am Ok. I have a question. Some questions actually.

This Brexit uncertainty and the dropping pound has been going on a while. I was wondering if it is hurting British expats - those who are not earning US$ - hard enough to reconsider lifestyle choices. How far would the pound have to fall for you to rethink living in Cambodia ? Where would you go ? Do you even think about this ?
I live on rental income from the UK. The difference is exchange rate between $1.5 and $1.2 is roughly my monthly rent ($425). So it does make quite a difference. This is obviously based on what I send over every few months. So I just send a bit more, but I am fortunate to be able to do that. I don't think it will go to parity but it might flirt with $1,10 for a short while just before and after the end of October if there is a no-deal Brexit.

If you have an income stream in £ only, e.g. a pension, then your problems are global, not just USD local. It is dropping against everything unless that currency is also dropping against the $, such as the Argentine peso, which is going down the tubes fast. But their inflation is going through the roof so that cancels out any benefit.

There are not many places cheaper and as much fun as Cambodia so I would just sit tight and ride it out. This time next year I reckon it will be so much better. You can hold me to that.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The British Pound; Are Investors Also Leaving ?

Post by pczz »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:51 am
pczz wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:35 am Ok. I have a question. Some questions actually.

This Brexit uncertainty and the dropping pound has been going on a while. I was wondering if it is hurting British expats - those who are not earning US$ - hard enough to reconsider lifestyle choices. How far would the pound have to fall for you to rethink living in Cambodia ? Where would you go ? Do you even think about this ?
Yes, I am fucked. I was due to retire to the EU in a couple of years. my pension is worthless now and i will need medical insurance and there is no guarantee my pension company will be able to pay expats their pensions due to financial rules. Just spent 6 months in EU getting my residence papers in order. As for staying in Cambodia, I cannot see a financial reason to do so. My rent in Eu is cheaper, food is cheaper, beer is a little more expensive but less watered down. the only big hits I took were smoking , which was roughly the same price per pack as thailand, and petrol which was twice the price in cambodia. treatment in aprivate medical climic was about the same, 25 euro to see a doctor and meds the same price. Total expenniture worked out at 1000 euro a month as opposed to 1000 dollars in cambodia. If you eat mainly khmer food then it wouldbe cheaper here. If you are addicted to hookers or drugs it would definitley be cheaper here otherwise not much in it
Where in the EU is this? 50cent pet liter for gas...?
what? i said "petrol which was twice the price in cambodia". cambdia ia around 1$ a litre, in europe where i was price varied from 1.67 to 1.70 per litre
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic