The British Pound; Are Investors Also Leaving ?

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: The British Pound; Are Investors Also Leaving ?

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

^^^ just an afterthought
You can't do a good version of Both Sides Now if you are stuck in a very british closed loop.
or you end up with this

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Ok. I have a question. Some questions actually.

This Brexit uncertainty and the dropping pound has been going on a while. I was wondering if it is hurting British expats - those who are not earning US$ - hard enough to reconsider lifestyle choices. How far would the pound have to fall for you to rethink living in Cambodia ? Where would you go ? Do you even think about this ?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Parliament has been suspended by the queen at the request of Boris until October 10
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

la8rat wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:41 pm lets just see how strong the euro is against the pound in 6 months or a year.
after a successful brexit some of the other nations that actually put money into the eu pot will be next to leave. leaving a big hole.

the euro is going to crash in a massive way.
There is no such thing as a succesful brexit, only a least damaging one. It will take 10 years to see any benefit, if there is a benefit, and that is the figure quoted by brexoiteers. We have taken back control from an unlected Eu and given to an unelected old etonian, thus preseving the class system
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:35 am Ok. I have a question. Some questions actually.

This Brexit uncertainty and the dropping pound has been going on a while. I was wondering if it is hurting British expats - those who are not earning US$ - hard enough to reconsider lifestyle choices. How far would the pound have to fall for you to rethink living in Cambodia ? Where would you go ? Do you even think about this ?
Yes, I am fucked. I was due to retire to the EU in a couple of years. my pension is worthless now and i will need medical insurance and there is no guarantee my pension company will be able to pay expats their pensions due to financial rules. Just spent 6 months in EU getting my residence papers in order. As for staying in Cambodia, I cannot see a financial reason to do so. My rent in Eu is cheaper, food is cheaper, beer is a little more expensive but less watered down. the only big hits I took were smoking , which was roughly the same price per pack as thailand, and petrol which was twice the price in cambodia. treatment in aprivate medical climic was about the same, 25 euro to see a doctor and meds the same price. Total expenniture worked out at 1000 euro a month as opposed to 1000 dollars in cambodia. If you eat mainly khmer food then it wouldbe cheaper here. If you are addicted to hookers or drugs it would definitley be cheaper here otherwise not much in it
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

Ill also be retiring in a couple of years. 29 months but whos counting. Ive shelved all plans to retire to asia as it seems we are basically unwelcome.
This time next year im expecting my shiny british pound to be buying me at least €1.50

Stop panicking pczz. If may had stopped the fucking about and done what she was paid to do. We would all be rollling in the clover already.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

Jonathan pie explains.

A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

pczz wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:35 am Ok. I have a question. Some questions actually.

Yes, I am fucked. I was due to retire to the EU in a couple of years. my pension is worthless now and i will need medical insurance and there is no guarantee my pension company will be able to pay expats their pensions due to financial rules. Just spent 6 months in EU getting my residence papers in order. As for staying in Cambodia, I cannot see a financial reason to do so. My rent in Eu is cheaper, food is cheaper, beer is a little more expensive but less watered down. the only big hits I took were smoking , which was roughly the same price per pack as thailand, and petrol which was twice the price in cambodia. treatment in aprivate medical climic was about the same, 25 euro to see a doctor and meds the same price. Total expenniture worked out at 1000 euro a month as opposed to 1000 dollars in cambodia. If you eat mainly khmer food then it wouldbe cheaper here. If you are addicted to hookers or drugs it would definitley be cheaper here otherwise not much in it
Where in the EU is this? 50cent pet liter for gas...?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:51 am
pczz wrote:

Where in the EU is this? 50cent pet liter for gas...?
The cheapest appears to be 89 cents per litre in Azerbaijan. In Portugal (where I might have considered relocating to, prior to the Brexit fiasco) it is 1.76 USD. https://autotraveler.ru/en/spravka/fuel ... WdlIUdS9LM
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:08 pm Pound slides after Johnson reveals plan to suspend parliament
Business leaders voice alarm over economic impact, as sterling falls to six-day low
Richard Partington
Last modified on Wed 28 Aug 2019 13.15 BST

The pound has come under intense selling pressure after Boris Johnson announced plans to suspend parliament for five weeks before the Brexit deadline, raising the chances of a no-deal exit from the EU.

Sterling sold off sharply on the foreign exchanges on Wednesday morning, falling by more than a cent against the US dollar to a six-day low of below $1.22, and by almost as much against the euro, to €1.096.

Sterling clawed back some of the losses by midday as MPs voiced anger at the prime minister’s plan. Senior business figures also sounded the alarm over the potential impact on the economy.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... parliament
IT IS CONFERENCE SEASON!! IT HAPPENS EVERY YEAR!!

All the parties piss off to the seaside and talk bollocks amongst themselves, and an army of journalists all getting pissed, about how great they are and how terrible everyone else is. It is 4 weeks, one for each main party and one for the minnows and it is a boring echo chamber. The politicians are pissing off as usual even when this sky is apparently about to fall in.

Johnson has also added 4 days in addition to the standard annual 4 weeks, to allow for a Queens Speech top set out the legislative agenda until the end of Parliament. There has not been one for over 2 years and it is well overdue. Note well that there has been no serious calling for the conference season to be abandoned for this year. Oh no, they don't want to miss their annual jolly.

The extra four days for the Queens Speech was reacted too hysterically by Corbyn, and all the remainers, and the media as an outrageous abuse of parliamentary procedure. It is complete nonsense to suggest this.

The markets reacted to the hysterical ranting of Corbyn et al and thought WTF is going on? They got spooked by the surprise (they don't like surprises), and did what they usually do and dump a bit of sterling. Once they got a grip of the facts they started to buy is all back and book the profits. Happy days.

Sterling will remain in this region until after Oct 31st. The strong possibility of a no-deal Brexit is priced in. Before it was a weak possibility. If it becomes a certainty, i.e. no ratification of the withdrawal treaty by the Thursday afternoon of 31st of October, it will go much lower.

If Britian signs that shitty treaty it will climb quite a bit - maybe 1.40 over the course of 6 months. If Britain leaves with no deal it will be highly volatile - 1.25 - 1.10 maybe. It's just too cheap at anything less. A lot of money will be made and lost.

But... when the sky doesn't fall in, and the economy in the following six months shows signs of resilience and even growth, and mass starvation hasn't visited us, sterling will be headed only one way...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic