SIM card for cell phone. Suggestions?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: SIM card for cell phone. Suggestions?

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

The benefit of providing ID and registering your SIM card is that if you lose your phone or your SIM gets damaged/stops working, then you can get the same phone number you had before when you purchase a new SIM card. If you want to remain anonymous, there's plenty of places to buy a SIM without showing ID.

I have found Cellcard to have excellent network coverage throughout Cambodia, but shit internet (3G, Edge ?) coverage outside of the main centres.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:I have found Cellcard to have excellent network coverage throughout Cambodia, but shit internet (3G, Edge ?) coverage outside of the main centres.
Same.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
badneighour
Expatriate
Falkland Islands

Post by badneighour »

Smart has 5c a min to 15 counties ....
have not looked at newer post...so you might know this already....
badneighour
Expatriate
Falkland Islands

Post by badneighour »

plus buy what is known as a girlfriend phone with two sims...then you have the benefits of both networks....phoning within the network is usually free...well it is with cellcard and smart...which i use
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

badneighour wrote:plus buy what is known as a girlfriend phone with two sims...then you have the benefits of both networks....phoning within the network is usually free...well it is with cellcard and smart...which i use
Phoning within network is 7cents per minute on CellCard if I'm not mistaken.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
badneighour
Expatriate
Falkland Islands

Post by badneighour »

maybe but I always top up big and get free mins...now I'm not sure...
badneighour
Expatriate
Falkland Islands

Post by badneighour »

smart 4 sure 5c a min 15 counties
gresford
Tourist
Australia

Post by gresford »

Yes thats true as I lost mine once and tney replaced it for 2 bucks
ROB SYDNEY
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:
badneighour wrote:plus buy what is known as a girlfriend phone with two sims...then you have the benefits of both networks....phoning within the network is usually free...well it is with cellcard and smart...which i use
Their $5 plan has 100 minutes on net and 3,5Gb data, you part separately for off net calls.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

StroppyChops wrote:
Sir_Quality_U_Feel wrote:
Their $5 plan has 100 minutes on net and 3,5Gb data, you part separately for off net calls.
Ah yes, I accidentally signed up for that when I first arrived in country!

I probably make about 15 minutes worth of outgoing calls per month, 99% being to my Fiancee who is on-net. I am mostly a wi-fi whore, as it is everywhere.

I just use the scratch cards and leave it at that and I think I spend about $4-7$ per month. I always top up during their %100-%200 promotions ( CellCard that is). They take on-net calls out of that promotion bucket, which is cool. Data as well.

If I were in business here like I was back home, I would for sure need some type of packaged plan. Good info SC and BadNeighbour.

I called my father in the USA the other day via CellCards VOIP (177) service. Amazed at how clear the call was. I was left scratching my head that CellCard charges me 4.5cents to call from Phnom Penh to the USA but charges me 7cents to call my fiancee 5km away, on net.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic