Come on Down, The Price is Right!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
brisie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Come on Down, The Price is Right!

Post by brisie »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:31 pm
What's the current market value of A3 Cyan paper glued onto a large picture frame.
Since the frame is second hand I'd only give them $33.33 tops.
Edit
Upon further inspection it would appear a small lump 1/3 from the left like it wasn't cleaned before glued on and a fly landed pushing out that area.
Just above the fly lump it looks like it shit itself before it landed to certain death and crapped all over the top edge of the paper above the lump.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

What I particularly like about this piece it is the way the artist perfectly captures the absurdity of modern art. I especially like his use of a plain hue to capture the mundane atmosphere of an otherwise bland, undramatic scene. His nonchalant emotion and lethargic attitude clearly shows through with this work which I think will inevitably go down in art history. Right down. To the bottom.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

:stir: Maybe if you cross your eyes an image appears
Still here, in country...
brisie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by brisie »

Ravensnest wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:51 am :stir: Maybe if you cross your eyes an image appears
Stare at this long enough the Mario Sega man will appear some people can see it faster than others.

Let's all get hell pissed on 50C beers up the road then check if the paintings the same
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

$2,200?! That's a bloody bargain. Try "Blood Red Mirror" (Gerhard Richter) for a cool $1.1m

Or perhaps even more delightful this classic 1955 piece by Robert Ryman whose pieces usually fetch somewhere around the $10m mark ...

and I quote...
SomeAbsoluteFuckwitBornYesterday wrote: Artwork description & Analysis: Ryman considers this painting to be his first "professional" work. Though primarily orange, small points of green paint can be seen, mostly at the edges of the canvas. Inspired by Abstract Expressionist works at MoMA, Ryman bought some art supplies from a local store. He later recalled his thought process when approaching his early works: "I thought I would see what would happen. I wanted to see what the paint would do, how the brushes would work. That was the first step. I just played around. I had nothing really in mind to paint. I was just finding out how the paint worked, colors, thick and thin, the brushes, surfaces."

Unlike almost all of Ryman's later works, this piece is essentially a study of color and the interaction between pigments. It appears at first glance to be monochromatic, but a closer inspection reveals the subtlety both in texture over the surface as well as in the variations in tone. At the edges of the canvas, the orange contrasts sharply with the green paint behind it, and in certain areas, such as the bottom right, it is possible to see where thinner regions of orange paint have begun to blend with the layers of color underneath them. Also unlike Ryman's other works, there appears to be no underlying "strategy" that creates a sense of unity; instead, there is an uneven application of thickness to the canvas. This, however, forecasts the way that Ryman's use of paint in his mature work tends to be nearly sculptural relative to the picture plane, and like the rest of Ryman's work its form assumes that of the square canvas, devoid of representation.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

You can tell those paintings were done by profesional painters and definitely not Khmers, as there are no paint brush marks on the wall and I bet there are no paint drips on the floor too.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Duncan wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:13 pm You can tell those paintings were done by profesional painters and definitely not Khmers, as there are no paint brush marks on the wall and I bet there are no paint drips on the floor too.
Not sure about that, I reckon the artist took it out of his studio and left those marks there!

But back to the turquoise masterpiece, I've just noticed that unlike almost all of Sopheap's later works, this piece is essentially a study of color and the interaction between pigments. It appears at first glance to be monochromatic, but a closer inspection reveals the subtlety both in texture over the surface as well as in the variations in tone. At the edges of the canvas, the white contrasts sharply with the turquoise paint behind it, and in certain areas, such as the bottom right, it is possible to see where thinner regions of turquoise paint have begun to blend with the layers of color underneath them. Also unlike Sopheap's other works, there appears to be no underlying "strategy" that creates a sense of unity; instead, there is an uneven application of thickness to the canvas. This, however, forecasts the way that Sopheap's use of paint in his mature work tends to be nearly sculptural relative to the picture plane, and like the rest of Sopheap's work its form assumes that of the square canvas, devoid of representation.

Let's call it $1,202,200? :hattip:
Last edited by Spigzy on Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
HILD-CEO
Tourist
Norway

Post by HILD-CEO »

Spigzy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:39 am
Duncan wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:13 pm You can tell those paintings were done by profesional painters and definitely not Khmers, as there are no paint brush marks on the wall and I bet there are no paint drips on the floor too.
Not sure about that, I reckon the artist took it out of his studio and left those marks there! But back to the turquoise masterpiece, I've just noticed that unlike almost all of Sopheap's later works, this piece is essentially a study of color and the interaction between pigments. It appears at first glance to be monochromatic, but a closer inspection reveals the subtlety both in texture over the surface as well as in the variations in tone. At the edges of the canvas, the white contrasts sharply with the turquoise paint behind it, and in certain areas, such as the bottom right, it is possible to see where thinner regions of turquoise paint have begun to blend with the layers of color underneath them. Also unlike Sopheap's other works, there appears to be no underlying "strategy" that creates a sense of unity; instead, there is an uneven application of thickness to the canvas. This, however, forecasts the way that Sopheap's use of paint in his mature work tends to be nearly sculptural relative to the picture plane, and like the rest of Sopheap's work its form assumes that of the square canvas, devoid of representation.

A tip of the hat to you, Sir. You are a master at words. I think this is exactly how it would be sold to the public.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Spigzy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:39 am
Not sure about that, I reckon the artist took it out of his studio and left those marks there!

But back to the turquoise masterpiece, I've just noticed that unlike almost all of Sopheap's later works, this piece is essentially a study of color and the interaction between pigments. It appears at first glance to be monochromatic, but a closer inspection reveals the subtlety both in texture over the surface as well as in the variations in tone. At the edges of the canvas, the white contrasts sharply with the turquoise paint behind it, and in certain areas, such as the bottom right, it is possible to see where thinner regions of turquoise paint have begun to blend with the layers of color underneath them. Also unlike Sopheap's other works, there appears to be no underlying "strategy" that creates a sense of unity; instead, there is an uneven application of thickness to the canvas. This, however, forecasts the way that Sopheap's use of paint in his mature work tends to be nearly sculptural relative to the picture plane, and like the rest of Sopheap's work its form assumes that of the square canvas, devoid of representation.

Tried calling that number and noone answered the phone.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
la8rat
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by la8rat »

maybe this is what the 2 turnips were arguing about.
A lie can get round the world faster than the truth can get its boots on.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic