Aeon 2 Suicide

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Aeon 2 Suicide

Post by lostjeremy »

Quick synopsis....

Lady fights with husband
Heads to the top floor of Aeon 2 parking garage.
Calls husband to say see you in the next life.
Jumps.

RIP

Last edited by lostjeremy on Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Aeon 2 Suicide

Post by DaveG »

RIP young lady.
I can't understand why people just don't walk away, no relationship is worth topping yourself. :(
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

DaveG wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:53 pm RIP young lady.
I can't understand why people just don't walk away, no relationship is worth topping yourself. :(
There's a certain level of emotional imbalance when it comes to many (not all) Khmers. A tendency to take the most drastic action possible in any perceived crisis. That action can be actively aimed at the person who they perceive to have been the root of the perceived crisis, or passively aimed at them by ending their own life in the belief that the rest of your life, in terms of feeling of guilty, will also be ruined.

Khmers can be all smiles and fun-loving on the surface, but there's a very dark, emotionally unstable undercurrent swirling around just below the surface of too many of them.

This isn't a direct comment on this particular situation, I have no idea why she threw herself off a building. I'm speaking very much in general terms, so in that regard, RIP.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

You sure hit the nail on the head with your evaluation of some of the Khmers Xandreu.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia Breaking News (Phnom Penh): On August 17, 2019, a 12 pm, a woman committed suicide by jumping from the 3rd floor building of AEON2 mall, in Sangkat Phnom Penh Thmei, Khan Sen Sok, Phnom Penh.
The woman, aged about 20 years old, wearing a pink shirt and light-colored trousers, has yet to be identified. RIP.
Further photos on darknet forum.
Last edited by CEOCambodiaNews on Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
brisie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by brisie »

The woman who committed suicide was identified as Sok Eeng, 32, of House 18A, Thmey Village, Sangkat Kok Khleang Sen Sok District.

Before the incident, the woman went up to the fifth floor of the Aeon Mall building and jumped herself. Once. According to the family, the woman who had committed suicide had been diagnosed with autism for more than a year Before the action, the woman also sent a message to her husband saying, "Goodbye!" Then jumped to suicide.

https://kohsantepheapdaily.com.kh/article/910066.html
Sad story considering the circumstances RIP
dodiengdaga
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by dodiengdaga »

lostjeremy wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:24 pm

Quick synopsis....

Lady fights with husband
Heads to the top floor of Aeon 2 parking garage.
Calls husband to say see you in the next life.
Jumps.

RIP
I am genuinely curious: Does believing in reincarnation lower Khmers' the regard for life/safety as opposed to foreigners who don't?
Big'n
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big'n »

xandreu wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:06 pm
DaveG wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:53 pm RIP young lady.
There's a certain level of emotional imbalance when it comes to many (not all) Khmers. A tendency to take the most drastic action possible in any perceived crisis. That action can be actively aimed at the person who they perceive to have been the root of the perceived crisis, or passively aimed at them by ending their own life in the belief that the rest of your life, in terms of feeling of guilty, will also be ruined.

Khmers can be all smiles and fun-loving on the surface, but there's a very dark, emotionally unstable undercurrent swirling around just below the surface of too many of them.

This isn't a direct comment on this particular situation, I have no idea why she threw herself off a building. I'm speaking very much in general terms, so in that regard, RIP.
Having been married to my Khmer wife for 6 years I can say that your assessment is eerily accurate. "The most dramatic action possible" seems to be the default position.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic