Going to a clinic or to a pharmacy?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Baldbenny 12
Tourist
United States of America

Going to a clinic or to a pharmacy?

Post by Baldbenny 12 »

Hi everyone, I've just moved to Cambodia from the U.S. and am really enjoying it so far(and very much appreciate all of the helpful information on this forum!). I've almost run out of prescribed medication and need to refill my prescriptions. So my question is this, would it be better/cheaper to go to a clinic with a pharmacy and get written a prescription to fill at the clinic's pharmacy, or to just go to a pharmacy (I've heard you don't always need prescriptions)? My prescribed medicine is atorvasatin (lipitor) lisinopril and hydrocodone. Thanks for your help!
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Going to a clinic or to a pharmacy?

Post by Yerg »

Baldbenny 12 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:17 am Hi everyone, I've just moved to Cambodia from the U.S. and am really enjoying it so far(and very much appreciate all of the helpful information on this forum!). I've almost run out of prescribed medication and need to refill my prescriptions. So my question is this, would it be better/cheaper to go to a clinic with a pharmacy and get written a prescription to fill at the clinic's pharmacy, or to just go to a pharmacy (I've heard you don't always need prescriptions)? My prescribed medicine is atorvasatin (lipitor) lisinopril and hydrocodone. Thanks for your help!
I can only speak for myself, I take statins and beta-blockers. I took the original box of my (western prescribed) medicine to the pharmacy in BKK1, and they pulled identical medicines from the shelf and I bought them. Before I moved back to the UK I bought 6 month's worth of each to save a fortune versus UK prescription prices.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

If you know exactly what you need, just go to a pharmacy.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Pharmacie de la gare has the best selection of genuine meds

You may need to substitute dicodin for the oxy
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

You can just go to a pharmacy.
Keep in mind that many (most?) medicine should be kept cooler than our usual daytime temperature, so if you go to a pharmacy that doesn't have air con it's possible that the medicine has not been stored correctly. Also always check expiration dates.
I have no personal experience with them but Pharmacy de la Gare gets good recommendations.
up to you...
miciur
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by miciur »

You can go to pharmacy, if you know what you need. I recommend Chan Penh Vong Pharmacy at corner of street 173 and Sihanouk blvd near Olympic market. There have rich assortment. Few staff member can speak English. This area have around 30-40 pharmacy. You can buy almost all medicine without any prescription ( include morphine HCl). La Gare expensive a bit but everyone speak English and assortment poorly a bit. If you go to clinic you need pay to doctor and they recommend you buy medicine in clinic’s pharmacy whereabout price of medicine higher with 30-60%.
Be yourself, no matter what they say!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

always check expiration dates and if possible buy imported meds, not ones made in Cambodia
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Baldbenny 12
Tourist
United States of America

Post by Baldbenny 12 »

Thanks for the responses everyone. On your advice I went to Pharmacie La Gare and was able to get the lisinopril and atorvastin at a fairly decent price. They did not have hydrocodone but offered me oxycodone instead, although at quite a high price. Would it be cheaper to get it elsewhere, or if I went to a doctor? I've tried dicodin before and it made me quite nauseous.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

The pharmacy next to Lucky supermarket on Sihanouk has a decent selection, has decent prices, and was recommended to me by Western doc's. De la Gare probably has the best selection, but sometimes prices are significantly higher than elsewhere.

If you buy, check the content of the box, check the expiration date on the strips (not just the box), and check the number of pills provided to you.

Don't count on any sound advice, a pharmacy in Cambodia is a supermarket for medicines. Their primary goal is to sell as many as possible, their primary goal isn't your health.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

The junction of streets 51 and 136 is Pharmacy Central in PP.
The ones on the corners of that junction on the Central Market side are particularly good. Atorvastatin 10mg is $2.40 for a box of 10. It is made by Getz in Pakistan. Lipidor is available at a higher price.
Those shops are busy so their stock turnover will be good.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic