Vietnam revoking temporary residence cards

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Vietnam revoking temporary residence cards

Post by ExPenhMan »

Heard three stories here in Vung Tau in the last 24 hours of Vietnam immigration revoking multi-year Temporary Residence Cards and cutting them in half upon arrival. Didn't matter how much time was left on the cards, which are usually 2-year terms. The expats were granted 30-day stays.

No details marking them as unusual situations. I do know it's happened to two people. Vietnam seems to be on a tear to revoke the cards, says one friend.

Just more evidence that VN is clamping down on long-term visas. Most people I know are down to three-month visas now. The one-years have virtually disappeared, 6-month terms are also getting scarcer and doubling in price. The TRCs were $1600US, doubling in price twice since early last year.

It doesn't much matter to me as I'm leaving VN. Will see if I can scare up more details this evening -- my last one in VN.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Vietnam revoking temporary residence cards

Post by yongchi »

This tightening may be related to a recent bust In Haiphong:

https://vietnamnews.vn/opinion/523583/r ... YuE0Kvr.97

A fallout from the bust of this Chinese gambling operation?

https://www.vir.com.vn/about-400-chines ... 69617.html

It is a pity how a few rotten apples can spoil a good thing.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:34 pm Heard three stories here in Vung Tau in the last 24 hours of Vietnam immigration revoking multi-year Temporary Residence Cards and cutting them in half upon arrival. Didn't matter how much time was left on the cards, which are usually 2-year terms. The expats were granted 30-day stays.

No details marking them as unusual situations. I do know it's happened to two people. Vietnam seems to be on a tear to revoke the cards, says one friend.

Just more evidence that VN is clamping down on long-term visas. Most people I know are down to three-month visas now. The one-years have virtually disappeared, 6-month terms are also getting scarcer and doubling in price. The TRCs were $1600US, doubling in price twice since early last year.

It doesn't much matter to me as I'm leaving VN. Will see if I can scare up more details this evening -- my last one in VN.
Did you get any more info about this situation before taking off? Just curious...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

sigmoid wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:41 am
ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:34 pm Heard three stories here in Vung Tau in the last 24 hours of Vietnam immigration revoking multi-year Temporary Residence Cards and cutting them in half upon arrival. Didn't matter how much time was left on the cards, which are usually 2-year terms. The expats were granted 30-day stays.

Did you get any more info about this situation before taking off? Just curious...
Sorry, no more info. I was more focused on saying goodbyes and getting the heck out of VN.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

As I understand the situation, the people affected by this crackdown are those whose TRCs were not issued legitimately, i.e., they were linked to illegitimate companies set up by visa agents/lawyers. I've not heard of anyone who is legitimately employed having an issue (yet).
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

As Ong Tay. I checked here and there is no question of revoking my TRC.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Makes sense. One of the most recommended agents has set up many TRCs for people with absolutely no business links, including a friend who had his pulled. This agent has pissed off a number of people, including me, on various visa offerings.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Do they drive pink scooter?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic